Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

I saw Deadpool.

It was a lot more raunchy/adult than I expected.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 18, 2016, 11:15:03 PM
I saw Deadpool.

It's a pretty grown up franchise. I like how the picture memes are circulating on Facebook lately reminding parents of this fact!

I am still waiting to go see it, but looking forward to seeing how good of a job they did of the film!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Ulrich Von Lichtenstein on February 18, 2016, 11:36:18 PM
I saw Deadpool.

It's a pretty grown up franchise. I like how the picture memes are circulating on Facebook lately reminding parents of this fact!

I am still waiting to go see it, but looking forward to seeing how good of a job they did of the film!

It is.  I knew it was rather "mature"-aimed, but I found a number of scenes/settings to be completely unnecessary to the furthering of the plot.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Kaesekopf on February 18, 2016, 11:41:04 PM
I saw Deadpool.

It is.  I knew it was rather "mature"-aimed, but I found a number of scenes/settings to be completely unnecessary to the furthering of the plot.

Was it still done in typical Deadpool fashion? Or do you mean it was unnecessary as in it shouldn't have been there at all? Without spoiling anything, of course? It's considered a quite "lowbrow" premise in a lot of ways I think... I like the comics, but it can be very crass at times so not everybody would appreciate it.

LausTibiChriste

I saw Deadpool.

You must never have seen a made-in-Hollywood movie before!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Larry

"Pretty grown up" in Hollywood means catering to the sensibilities of high school boys.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

LouisIX

The Revenant. Very well done. Quite Christian in many regards. It's probably too brutal for some, however.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Larry on February 19, 2016, 01:12:31 PM
"Pretty grown up" in Hollywood means catering to the sensibilities of high school boys.

I suppose in some ways you may be right; it is somewhat contradictory in that it is simultaneously "grown up" and "completely immature" in much of the humor throughout the franchise.
I wouldn't show Deadpool comics to high school boys, personally. I'm in my 30s and enjoy the comics though. A man must have some guilty pleasures; something as innocuous as crassly oriented comic books is, in my case, a pertinent choice...

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: LouisIX on February 19, 2016, 01:29:52 PM
The Revenant. Very well done. Quite Christian in many regards. It's probably too brutal for some, however.

Do you think Leo will finally get his Oscar?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 20, 2016, 01:56:46 AM
Quote from: LouisIX on February 19, 2016, 01:29:52 PM

Do you think Leo will finally get his Oscar?

It was a very gripping film, I hope he does.

red solo cup

The Martian with Matt Damon. Not bad.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

RedCaves

Quote from: Larry on February 19, 2016, 01:12:31 PM

Michael Bay does a good job at this. =P

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

LoneWolfRadTrad

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 19, 2016, 03:08:54 AM
I saw Deadpool.

You must never have seen a made-in-Hollywood movie before!

A long time buddy of mine who reads Deadpool comics told me that it was far too foul mouthed.  That even in the comics, Deadpool isn't so potty mouthed.  Much less sexualized too from comics he's shown me.

Jacob

I watched Cinderella last night for my language therapy (we watch movies and then discuss them using language in our sessions).

There are parts of it I like.  There are parts of it that I don't like.  A lot of the shots had an overly CGI feel to them that I don't care for.  If it's going to be live action, make it live action.

Lily James is very nice as the title character and Cate is fine as the stepmother.  I like more though the relationship in the palace between the prince, the king, the captain of the guard, and the grand duke.  Great casting there with Derek Jacobi, Skellan, and that young who who looks like Hugh Jackman as the prince.

The major thing I don't care for in the movie is how it handles Cinderella's situation.  Self-imposed suffering is fine, but sliding into it because the character is too passive to resist what's going on around her is annoying.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson