Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 15, 2014, 05:38:37 PM
Quote from: Clare on July 15, 2014, 04:28:45 PM
The Fellowship of the Ring on Sunday, The Two Towers yesterday, and The Return of the King today.
The extended version is much better, and captures more of the books nuances.
There's a longer version?? Of all of them?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

red solo cup

Unstoppable with Denzel Washington. Fairly exciting.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Clare on July 16, 2014, 02:34:05 AM
The Fellowship of the Ring on Sunday, The Two Towers yesterday, and The Return of the King today.
Yes, they add many scenes from the book that aren't in the regular versions.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The Harlequin King

Indeed. The extended edition of The Return of the King is a full hour longer. The additional scenes are totally worth it. For example, there's a flashback scene with Boromir in The Two Towers. Eowyn also sings a funeral dirge for Theoden's son.

Furthermore, I've watched both the theatrical version and Extended Edition Blu-rays, and the EE picture quality is ridiculously better. It's like the theatrical cut was filmed with vaseline smeared on the lens by comparison. If you think I'm just being a cranky videophile, see below:

Maximilian

lol. Can a movie get longer?

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Maximilian on July 16, 2014, 09:55:08 AM

lol. Can a movie get longer?

If you count parts 1 and 2 as a single film, there's the original cut of Red Cliff, which is in the vicinity of 4 and a half to 5 hours.

Mono no aware

Quote from: The Harlequin King on July 16, 2014, 10:04:48 AMIf you count parts 1 and 2 as a single film, there's the original cut of Red Cliff, which is in the vicinity of 4 and a half to 5 hours.

Bela Tarr's Sátántangó is seven hours.  And that's the theatrical version.  It's notorious not only for its length but for a single-take ten-minute sequence of cat torture.  For both of those reasons I haven't seen it.  tmw89 may have, though.

Some YouTuber has set clips from the movie to Arvo Pärt's Salve Regina.  It proves that visually, at least, Bela Tarr is a real artist of the cinema.  He may nevertheless deserve to be thrown to hungry lions.  Now that I'd watch.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1CNNf9iU9Y[/yt]

LouisIX

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 16, 2014, 10:47:40 AM
Some YouTuber has set clips from the movie to Arvo Pärt's Salve Regina.

These scenes are stunning.

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 16, 2014, 10:47:40 AMIt proves that visually, at least, Bela Tarr is a real artist of the cinema.  He may nevertheless deserve to be thrown to hungry lions.  Now that I'd watch.

Unfortunately, there are many, many directors who fit that bill.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Clare

Quote from: The Harlequin King on July 16, 2014, 08:43:56 AM

Indeed. The extended edition of The Return of the King is a full hour longer....
:swoon1: Four hours!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Arun

i watched paranormal activity the marked ones. the plot was ok, i guess. wasn't a real scary film or anything though. then i realised i never saw the original so i watched that. i liked the way they made that one, the subtlety works much better than over the top in your face stuff, or at least i thought so.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Bernadette

Emperor on Netflix. About Gen. McArthur's decision not to try the Emperor of Japan as a war criminal. The love story seemed totally unnecessary.
My Lord and my God.

zork

Most love stories are.

I last watched The Crater Lake Monster (1977).
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Older Salt

Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 16, 2014, 07:41:14 AM
I wish they had added the whole Tom Bombadil part

Big gap in the films.

Tom would have made for beautiful cinematography and the River Daughter.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Older Salt on July 17, 2014, 12:14:01 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on July 16, 2014, 07:41:14 AM
I wish they had added the whole Tom Bombadil part

Big gap in the films.

Tom would have made for beautiful cinematography and the River Daughter.
Peter Jackson did a wide range of interviews with LOTR fans before filming the movies; asking them: "What scene absolutely had to be in the movie. I guess that one didn't garner enough votes.  Its a shame that the whole book with all the dialogue couldn't have been made into a movie.  But I love the movies all the same.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

they should make a movie of the silmarillion. and then release an extended cut.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih