Recent posts

"It is fundamentally the patient himself who has the right to decide whether or not he shall continue with [even] a useless and extraordinary means which will prolong his intense suffering...

"the first rule concerning the doctor's duty: he must do what the patient wishes. It is the patient who has the right to use or to refuse the extraordinary means; hence, it is primarily the patient who must be consulted. Obviously there are many cases in which it is impossible to consult the patient, e.g., when he is delirious or in a coma, or when he is a small child. In these cases the right to make the decision is vested in those who are closest to the patient, i.e., husband, wife, parents, guardians... the relatives do not make this decision precisely in their own name, but rather as representing the patient; hence, they should try to determine what he would reasonably want done under the circumstances."

Fr. Joseph McFadden, Medical Ethics, 1958
Quote from: awkward customer on April 22, 2024, 03:47:32 PM
Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on April 22, 2024, 03:31:52 PM
Quote from: awkward customer on April 22, 2024, 08:02:21 AMTraditionally speaking, feeding tubes are Extraordinary treatment.

:rofl:

There is no pre-1958 consensus on the "extraordinariness" of feeding tubes.

What were the opinions pre-1958?  If there was no consensus, there must have been more than one.  What were they?

They hadn't been invented yet.

PEG tubes were invented in 1980 and have a "success rate of 95%."

" PEG and PEG-J tubes are important in patients with barriers to oral feeding, including benign or malignant conditions, iatrogenic causes such as radiation therapy that can lead to mechanical obstruction in the esophagus, motility disorders of the esophagus, neurologic causes resulting in oropharyngeal dysphagia, psychosomatic issues such as dementia, and mental retardation or developmental delay."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK559215/#:~:text=They%20serve%20as%20alternatives%20to,%2Drelated%20mortality%20is%200.5%25.

Unlike the previous methods cited in the pre-1958 examples, they are portable, discreet, and easy to operate. They can be used "in the community setting" or at home, not only in a hospital.

This is why they reduce healthcare costs, not increase them.

Perhaps this might help:

"the longer we keep our health and our life, the more treasures we can lay up for eternity, where neither the rust nor moth doth consume, where thieves do not break through, nor steal (Matt. vi. 20). If we thoughtlessly do anything to shorten our life, we defraud ourselves of a part of our seed-time. The eagle takes the utmost care of its egg, not for the sake of the shell, but of the young eagle enclosed in the egg; so we should take care of our body because of the soul that dwells within it."

http://www.catholictradition.org/Tradition/commandment5.htm
Quote from: awkward customer on April 22, 2024, 04:10:15 PM
Quote from: queen.saints on April 22, 2024, 03:00:34 PMThe Church has always taught and still teaches to this day that even someone in the most vegetative, blind, half-brained, uncommunicative, non-verbal of states who is not dying is obliged to preserve their life.

There you go again, making things up again.

The Church has not taught this and still doesn't, whatever the Modernists say.

"Vehemens horror, an intense and overwhelming emotion of horror provoked by the use of those means", quoted in the SSPX article you posted, has long been recognised by the Church as an entirely justified reason for refusing an Extraordinary treatment.

No matter how vegetative we may seem to an onlooker, as long as we are alive we have a duty to preserve our life.

No matter how vegetative someone may seem to other onlookers, we know better than anyone, as Catholics, that they are a human being and we have a duty towards them as our neighbor.

" In the Fifth Commandment almighty God forbids us to destroy our own life, or that of our neighbor, or to treat the lower animals with cruelty...

Since the life and health of the body are of great importance for the life of the soul and for our eternal salvation, we are bound to take precautions for the preservation of our health and of our life."

http://www.catholictradition.org/Tradition/commandment5.htm

An intense horror of a specific means could exempt us from using that specific means. It doesn't exempt us from anything else.
Quote from: Baylee on April 22, 2024, 04:01:27 PMThrowing this out there.  It was quoted in the original thread from 2015.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/004056395001100202

Unfortunately, this is only a portion of this article.  Does anyone have access to the full article/PDF?  It was written by Fr Gerald Kelly in 1951 and might prove helpful in this discussion.

" The Duty of Using Artificial Means of Preserving Life"

Looks like it would be very helpful to the discussion. 
Double post
The Sedevacantist Thesis / Una Cum Mass
Last post by Bonaventure - April 22, 2024, 10:39:46 PM
Running this poll as I am curious as to the results.

I selected option one.

I do not believe Bergoglio is pope. I believe it is acceptable and morally licit for a Catholic, including a sedevacnatist and myself included, to attend a Mass if Bergoglio's odious name is regrettably mentioned in the Canon.

I currently attend a Mass non una cum. However, if I am traveling or do not attend Mass with my regular priest, I attend Mass "una cum."
General News and Discussion / Re: Candance Owens Becomes Cat...
Last post by Mushroom - April 22, 2024, 09:59:19 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 22, 2024, 08:13:04 PMGlad to see it!

I hope it yields great fruit for her. 

But I always am wary when celebs or folks who rely on cliccs do something public like this.  Maybe I'm too cynical. 

I am a bit weary as well but her husband is Catholic and attends the TLM so I think it was bound to come and for the sake of their family.