Baptism in case of miscarriage

Started by Penelope, May 02, 2013, 11:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penelope

"How to Baptize in Case of Miscarriage" by Alana Rosshirt

I saw this on an acquaintance's blog once (I think) and thought it would be a good resource to post here, just in case people here find themselves to be in this unfortunate situation.

kayla_veronica

Bookmarking this, thank you for sharing.
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

OCLittleFlower

Thanks for sharing.  Should be recommended reading for engaged and married couples.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

kayla_veronica

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 02, 2013, 03:17:07 PM
Should be recommended reading for engaged and married couples.

Absolutely.
and under the earth,
Amen.

totiusque

Quote from: Penelope on May 02, 2013, 11:40:40 AM

I saw this on an acquaintance's blog once (I think) and thought it would be a good resource to post here, just in case people here find themselves to be in this unfortunate situation.

A friend of mine from our parish just did this a couple months ago.  He helped to "deliver" the baby (about 5-6 weeks old) and baptized her.  He said it was one of the hardest things he's ever had to do, but he also mentioned what an amazing experience it was to hold the little one in his hand while baptizing her.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

Penelope

Should I make this topic sticky so it's always easily accessible?

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Penelope on May 02, 2013, 07:48:30 PM

I would.  :)

Personally, I think it should be covered BEFORE pregnancy, so it isn't difficult for the mother.  No pregnant mother wants to hear about miscarriage -- if a couple isn't aware of it before pregnancy, I think it would be better to pull the husband aside.

totiusque

This should be something taught in all Catholic marriage prep classes, too, but there's no way that's ever happening.
"Whenever anything disagreeable or displeasing happens to you, remember Christ crucified and be silent."
—St John of the Cross

kayla_veronica

good idea
and under the earth,
Amen.

stitchmom

Quote from: totiusque on May 02, 2013, 06:45:05 PM

A friend of mine from our parish just did this a couple months ago.  He helped to "deliver" the baby (about 5-6 weeks old) and baptized her.  He said it was one of the hardest things he's ever had to do, but he also mentioned what an amazing experience it was to hold the little one in his hand while baptizing her.

I wonder how he recognized a baby that small?

erin is nice

Quote from: stitchmom on May 03, 2013, 06:12:30 AM

Maybe she was further along than they thought. My own experience of that gestational age is that it's nearly impossible to recognize the baby because it is so small and undeveloped.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: stitchmom on May 03, 2013, 06:12:30 AM

I've seen a four week old baby preserved in a jar in health class.  You could tell she was a baby (our teacher said the child was female -- not sure how they knew unless they'd done genetic testing at some point).

Okay, squeemish types?  Stop reading now, please.   :tongue:

Based on the PDF, the parents would need to search a bit through the blood, etc, and examine all the blood clots, etc.  I'm not sure how easy it is, but I imagine that if you try to keep a calm head and inspect everything, you would be able to the child.

Fluffy

Okay this is also TMI so squeamish stop reading here.

When I miscarried I was distressed that I never found the baby.  I was like 12 or 13 weeks along.  Blood clots end up everywhere and in my case this included the driveway, the sidewalks outside the hospital, and hospital floors and bathroom.  So there was no gathering up of clots and methodically looking through them.  Women who are miscarrying can very easily bleed out and they need immediate medical attention, so taking the time to look through the remains is most often unfeasible.  I'm not saying this to discourage people from doing so, but I do think it would be good to prepare married couples for what might happen in the case of miscarriage and make sure they don't feel like they HAVE to baptize the remains.  The woman's health should be a priority because her life may be at stake.

verenaerin

My first miscarriage was like Fluffy's. I got out of bed and there was a puddle of blood at my feet, down the stairs, to the car, in the waiting room seat at the ER, and a trail to the room. I actually had to have a procedure done to get some of the tissue out because it was stuck and causing me to hemorrhage. I was 10 weeks, but there was no baby the entire time.

My other miscarriage was at 5 weeks, but I could not see anything to baptize. I can't remember if we tried to or not, the whole thing can last for days to weeks, so who knows what is what.

We did emergently baptize a couple of our kids because they weren't doing so well after delivery. Between my mother, sister, husband and myself, our first probably got baptized 4 times. There was so much going on that we weren't aware of each other until things calmed down.   ;D You can't say we didn't have our priorities straight.

Revixit

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on May 02, 2013, 11:53:39 PM

I would.  :)

Personally, I think it should be covered BEFORE pregnancy, so it isn't difficult for the mother.  No pregnant mother wants to hear about miscarriage -- if a couple isn't aware of it before pregnancy, I think it would be better to pull the husband aside.

No pregnant woman wants to have a miscarriage but they know it happens.  Women are often less squeamish about blood than men are.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, Have Mercy On Us