Thomism and the Genetic Code

Started by BigMelvin, October 30, 2014, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMelvin

Do materialists normally claim that the genetic code accounts for the organization of matter into species (and into individuals)? If so how do Thomist scientists treat this in relation to hylemorphism and the substantial form being the organizing principle?
Thanks
I saw the sun go down, on dreams of a utopian evermore...

Modernism controls its victims in the name of obedience, thanks to the suspicion of pride which is cast on any criticism of their reforms, in the name of respect for the Pope, in the name of missionary zeal, of charity, and of unity."
– Fr. Roger Calmel OP, Letter of 8th August, 1973

"In reference to the created intellect, however, (and specifically to the human) things may be said to be false when by their appearances they invite misconception of their true nature"
H.D. Gardeil, O.P., Introduction to the Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, Vol. 4: Metaphysics, 138.

GloriaPatri

I'm not a biologist, nor a materialist, and I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot:

A species, from a biological perspective, is the largest group of related organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring amongst themselves. The requirement to interbreed is only possible by individuals with a certain level of genetic differences (I believe the members of most species differ from another individual of the same species by something like 0.3%).

ludimagister

I don't think materialists are entitled to talk about species at all, if they are being logically consistent. Species is based on form, which is an immaterial principle, which materialists obviously cannot accept.

Mind you, I don't think materialists are entitled to talk about anything at all, if they are being logically consistent. Intellectual cognition by its very nature must be immaterial

BigMelvin

Quote from: ludimagister on October 30, 2014, 03:27:20 PM
I don't think materialists are entitled to talk about species at all, if they are being logically consistent. Species is based on form, which is an immaterial principle, which materialists obviously cannot accept.

Mind you, I don't think materialists are entitled to talk about anything at all, if they are being logically consistent. Intellectual cognition by its very nature must be immaterial

Yes this is what I am getting at. So is it  that materialists use the genetic code to account for the organization of matter in a specific (sic) way (a dog a cat a human a plant, etc), whereas philosophical realists say that the form must account for this organization? So I guess a clearer way to posit the question might have been 'where does the genetic code fit into Thomistic realism and hylemorphism?'
I saw the sun go down, on dreams of a utopian evermore...

Modernism controls its victims in the name of obedience, thanks to the suspicion of pride which is cast on any criticism of their reforms, in the name of respect for the Pope, in the name of missionary zeal, of charity, and of unity."
– Fr. Roger Calmel OP, Letter of 8th August, 1973

"In reference to the created intellect, however, (and specifically to the human) things may be said to be false when by their appearances they invite misconception of their true nature"
H.D. Gardeil, O.P., Introduction to the Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, Vol. 4: Metaphysics, 138.

INPEFESS

I don't know for certain, but perhaps the answer is that genetic code is the material that biologically programs an individual to take on the form of the species.

Perhaps it could be said that, in the order of efficient causality, form precedes code, but, in the order of material causality, code precedes form.
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<