YouTube and Facebook comments

Started by TandJ, August 29, 2020, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TandJ

Quite often while I'm browsing FB or YouTube it seems like there are just completely vulgar people out there who say awful things in the comments section. This even happens on Catholic videos. I noticed on an examination of conscience it mentions as a grave sin to "read sexually explicit" things, so does this mean it's a sin to read comments on completely innocent videos because there might be a vulgar person on there and it's a possibility to stumble across crude comments? These have no effect on me other than repulsing me by the way

Michael Wilson

No, you are not reading the comments in order to find these vulgarities and you are not entering into the near occasion of sin when you do read them, so I don't see any problem.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Daniel

This is why I don't trust examinations of conscience. While I don't suspect that their writers wrote them with malice, it is nevertheless difficult to judge whether these lists actually reflect Church teaching. Oftentimes they seem overgeneralized/oversimplified, or mixed with opinion.

Didn't Jesus say that sin comes from the heart, not from externals? I would evaluate any possible guilt based on that. (Though it's still probably not a good idea to be swimming around in the muck.)

coffeeandcigarette

Quote from: TandJ on August 29, 2020, 08:23:44 PM
Quite often while I'm browsing FB or YouTube it seems like there are just completely vulgar people out there who say awful things in the comments section. This even happens on Catholic videos. I noticed on an examination of conscience it mentions as a grave sin to "read sexually explicit" things, so does this mean it's a sin to read comments on completely innocent videos because there might be a vulgar person on there and it's a possibility to stumble across crude comments? These have no effect on me other than repulsing me by the way

I hope not, because we could never read Greg's comments again just in case he in an un-gentlemanly frame of mind.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Daniel on August 30, 2020, 09:42:31 AM
This is why I don't trust examinations of conscience. While I don't suspect that their writers wrote them with malice, it is nevertheless difficult to judge whether these lists actually reflect Church teaching. Oftentimes they seem overgeneralized/oversimplified, or mixed with opinion.

Didn't Jesus say that sin comes from the heart, not from externals? I would evaluate any possible guilt based on that. (Though it's still probably not a good idea to be swimming around in the muck.)
Examinations of Consciences are excellent, because they can make us aware of the fact that he have been materially violating the moral law; for example, many adults today do not realize that using birth control is sinful, or working or shopping on Sunday without necessity; or not doing our job properly through laziness; or instruction our children in the faith etc. etc.
Sin is indeed in our hearts, but the enticements to sin many times come from the outside, such as indecent pictures; bad reading material; bad company etc.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

paul14

Are cat videos ok?

Gigantic pulsating parasite extracted from 8-week-old kitten

edit: Welcome back to another episode of "Why the Hell Was This In My Recommended?"

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs4jBtL62oI[/yt]

mikemac

Quote from: paul14 on September 03, 2020, 08:04:14 AM
edit: Welcome back to another episode of "Why the Hell Was This In My Recommended?"

Yuck.  It would be recommended to you because it would be similar to what you generally view on Youtube.  For instance lately I have been watching videos of New Orleans jazz bands, particularly a band called Tuba Skinny, they are very good.  So Youtube recommends more Tuba Skinny and other jazz videos to me.  Maybe you should try viewing videos with a different topic.  I mean unless you like that sort of gross stuff.  :D
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

red solo cup

Quote from: mikemac on September 03, 2020, 11:14:17 AM
Quote from: paul14 on September 03, 2020, 08:04:14 AM

Yuck.  It would be recommended to you because it would be similar to what you generally view on Youtube.  For instance lately I have been watching videos of New Orleans jazz bands, particularly a band called Tuba Skinny, they are very good.  So Youtube recommends more Tuba Skinny and other jazz videos to me.  Maybe you should try viewing videos with a different topic.  I mean unless you like that sort of gross stuff.  :D
I think I understand him Mike. The cat represents America and the parasite is Moral Relativism.
non impediti ratione cogitationis