To what are you currently listening?

Started by Bonaventure, December 26, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

If I had to pick my two favorite artists from the 1960s, it would be the Beatles and Bob Dylan.  In the mid-60s, Dylan had a stretch of three consecutive albums—Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde—which are excellent.  The Beatles were less consistent by album, but many of their songs from 1966-1969 are peerless.  Even a second-tier song like "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill" contains the lyric, "he's the All-American bullet-headed Saxon mother's son."  I'd post videos for songs like Rain and Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, but I'm still soured on the forum's centered-video format.  At least photos are left-aligned.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 17, 2017, 05:31:11 PM
I'd post videos for songs like Rain and Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands, but I'm still soured on the forum's centered-video format.  At least photos are left-aligned.

LOL. 

Well, even if you'd decided to go ahead and post them, those songs are blocked for copyright so frequently on YouTube that you might not've been able to find one to post anyway. 

Mono no aware

Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 17, 2017, 05:49:15 PMWell, even if you'd decided to go ahead and post them, those songs are blocked for copyright so frequently on YouTube that you might not've been able to find one to post anyway.

Yes, it's lamentable that both Bob Dylan and the Beatles are determined not to be well-represented on YouTube.  Fortunately they both have the bulk of their catalogues available on Amazon Music, which for the past six months has been my primary means of listening to them now that I've finally joined the 21st century and gotten an iPod.  I even found a live version of "Like A Rolling Stone" that I've loved ever since first hearing it in the movie New York Stories many years ago.  Nick Nolte's character in that movie has great taste in music, but I could never locate the particular raucous version of "Like A Rolling Stone" he listens to.  It always eluded me.  It wasn't even on the bootleg series that was released in the early aughts.  As it turns out, it's from an album called Before the Flood—a concert of Bob Dylan performing with The Band.  I was delighted when I finally discovered it.  I was like a teenager again; I played it so loud.  And I was painting, too, like Nick Nolte.  But not art.  Just a wall.

Lydia Purpuraria

Quote from: Pon de Replay on July 17, 2017, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: Lydia Purpuraria on July 17, 2017, 05:49:15 PMWell, even if you'd decided to go ahead and post them, those songs are blocked for copyright so frequently on YouTube that you might not've been able to find one to post anyway.

Yes, it's lamentable that both Bob Dylan and the Beatles are determined not to be well-represented on YouTube.  Fortunately they both have the bulk of their catalogues available on Amazon Music, which for the past six months has been my primary means of listening to them now that I've finally joined the 21st century and gotten an iPod.  I even found a live version of "Like A Rolling Stone" that I've loved ever since first hearing it in the movie New York Stories many years ago.  Nick Nolte's character in that movie has great taste in music, but I could never locate the particular raucous version of "Like A Rolling Stone" he listens to.  It always eluded me.  It wasn't even on the bootleg series that was released in the early aughts.  As it turns out, it's from an album called Before the Flood—a concert of Bob Dylan performing with The Band.  I was delighted when I finally discovered it.  I was like a teenager again; I played it so loud.  And I was painting, too, like Nick Nolte.  But not art.  Just a wall.

Oh, well your wall was your canvas then.  :D  I don't have an iPod, but I do have Amazon Prime, and therefore Amazon Music (which I agree has a very decent selection ... of all sorts of music, really).  So I listened to that version of "Like A Rolling Stone," and you're right: it's a great version.   Raucous, indeed.  LOL.  Thanks for mentioning that album and that it was on there, going to listen to the whole thing, time allowing.  [eta: Listened to it. It's okay.  Some songs I really liked, others were just too hyper ... or something.]

Another one whose music is always pulled from YouTube (but there's quite a bit of on Amazon Music) is Jimi Hendrix.  Love his version of "Like A Rolling Stone" at Monterey, as well.   Probably any remaining videos of that one are being pulled right now as we speak, though.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

red solo cup

Gardener

I enjoy John Prine and Iris Dement. Together? Gawrsh...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsyHo8iUsjE[/yt]

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-gEtIayWqE[/yt]

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikZwgj89HI[/yt]

This song sounds like Jackson Browne wrote it, with the meter of the lyrics/melody/social consciousness message, but it's all Iris..
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYqDpL0YCvI[/yt]
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

red solo cup

red solo cup

red solo cup

martin88nyc

"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

red solo cup