Thomistic Evolution

Started by Bonaventure, March 06, 2017, 10:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

I got into an argument with a chap who defended evolution, specifically macroevolution, as possible. For support, he cited Dominican friars, who said:

"In brief, according to the theory of evolution, the history, diversity, and relationships among all living beings that have ever lived on our planet can be explained as follows. Life on our planet diversified gradually beginning with one primitive living thing that lived more than 3.5 billion years ago. Over time, this one living thing generated many more living species via a mechanism that can be explained primarily (but not completely) by genetic change and natural selection. All living beings on our planet, human beings included, are descendants of a common ancestor."

http://www.thomisticevolution.org/

I specifically stated that I thought Darwinian evolution was impossible.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Hat And Beard

When you take a step back and realize that scientists are just going where the data takes them and don't have an agenda, it's a lot easier to accept evolution.

I can't imagine how one would account for all the evidence that points to evolution. Glad these Dominicans are fighting the good fight.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 06, 2017, 10:14:17 PM
I got into an argument with a chap who defended evolution, specifically macroevolution, as possible. For support, he cited Dominican friars, who said:

"In brief, according to the theory of evolution, the history, diversity, and relationships among all living beings that have ever lived on our planet can be explained as follows. Life on our planet diversified gradually beginning with one primitive living thing that lived more than 3.5 billion years ago. Over time, this one living thing generated many more living species via a mechanism that can be explained primarily (but not completely) by genetic change and natural selection. All living beings on our planet, human beings included, are descendants of a common ancestor."

Hard to argue with solid OPs, particularly those with PhDs in biology and moral theology...  :lol: 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Hat And Beard

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 06, 2017, 11:06:14 PM
Hard to argue with solid OPs, particularly those with PhDs in biology and moral theology...  :lol:

That's a big and there.  :lol:

red solo cup

Where did the one primitive living thing come from?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

INPEFESS

Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, one of the most famous Thomists of the 21st century, disputed macroevolution on purely philosophical grounds, for even biology is subject to reason and the laws of metaphysics.
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

Kaesekopf

Quote from: INPEFESS on March 07, 2017, 06:07:30 AM
Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange, one of the most famous Thomists of the 21st century, disputed macroevolution on purely philosophical grounds, for even biology is subject to reason and the laws of metaphysics.

I haven't read the T.E. website, but it seems that these four friars argue in favor of macroevolution on philosophical grounds. 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

INPEFESS

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 07, 2017, 07:21:08 AM
Quote from: INPEFESS on March 07, 2017, 06:07:30 AM

I haven't read the T.E. website, but it seems that these four friars argue in favor of macroevolution on philosophical grounds.

Yes, but I should have been more specific. Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange argued against it based on the method of traditional Scholastic thought. As a rigorous system, the same method doesn't usually admit of two opposite conclusions.
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

Daniel

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Bonaventure on March 06, 2017, 10:14:17 PM

Saying evolution did it and demonstrating it are two entirely separate propositions. Science cannot even account for the necessary bio-chemical complexity of the first viable cell. Mutation is proposed as the main biological driver of evolution (after abiogenesis), yet positive mutations allude science. The scale of mutation required for evolution would be observably devastating to organic systems. I have noted that supporters of evolution won't even debate macro-evolution anymore, instead opting to cite dubious micro-changes within species as being proof positive.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Hat And Beard on March 06, 2017, 10:19:34 PM
]

I can't imagine how one would account for all the evidence that points to evolution. ]

Given that there is no evidence, I can't imagine how one would either
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

Habitual_Ritual

Which is no argument at all

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on March 07, 2017, 10:03:55 AM

Oh, sure, I'll take random internet posters argument over the guys formed in thomistic theology with a bunch of higher level theological degrees.

Nbd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Habitual_Ritual

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 07, 2017, 10:05:12 AM
Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on March 07, 2017, 10:03:55 AM

Oh, sure, I'll take random internet posters argument over the guys formed in thomistic theology with a bunch of higher level theological degrees.

Nbd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Evolution is a process, not a philosophical construct. It either happened/is happening, or it ain't. End of.
Critical thinking is becoming more and more rare in our society it seems

Habitual_Ritual

Catholic convert and social critic Arnold Lunn, wrote powerfully on the folly of excepting evolutionary theory. His book, Revolt against Reason is a must read, as are his many other works in this particular area