Question About The Brown Scapular

Started by bben15, January 18, 2014, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Crowley

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on January 19, 2014, 12:18:58 PMThe OP is learning the Catholic faith so that he can know how to practise it.  He used to be a Lutheran.

I'd just go confession if I were him, and get enrolled for confirmation ASAP. There shouldn't be so much faffing about. "oh you're not Catholic yet because... well just because" nah, just do it.

Penelope

Crowley, the OP was raised Lutheran. He's not a Catholic and he must convert before receiving any of the sacraments. Telling him to receive the sacraments before he is properly disposed will bring condemnation on his soul.

Had the OP been raised Catholic and then apostatized, his path toward reconciliation with the Church would be different. He would need to make a general confession and possibly a profession of Faith. But the circumstances for the OP are that of a convert, not a so-called revert. Unless you have some Church document to back up your claims that he is simply a fallen-away Catholic due to his Trinitarian baptism and that he should just present himself for the sacraments, stop giving him bad advice.

Mr.Crowley

How exactly does one 'convert' when you've already converted. Dude's a Catholic. He believes the Catholic faith, and prays to God. It all seems very suburban to me, like. Is there a secret sacrament for those who convert after being baptised?

The poor lad is asking questions like "can I go before The Blessed Sacrament?" and "can I wear a scapular?" because he's being told he's not a Catholic yet. Ye either are or you're not. I don't know what all this 'yet' could be about. "Do you believe everything the church teaches and professes?" if the answer is aye, and you're baptised then yer a Catholic. It's nae an initiatory cult where ye have to wait for the stars to line up right or something, eh?

Penelope

Everyone has to be properly catechized before receiving the sacraments, cradle Catholics or not. The OP is in the process of being catechized.

per_passionem_eius

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 02:05:31 PM
How exactly does one 'convert' when you've already converted. Dude's a Catholic. He believes the Catholic faith, and prays to God. It all seems very suburban to me, like. Is there a secret sacrament for those who convert after being baptised?

The poor lad is asking questions like "can I go before The Blessed Sacrament?" and "can I wear a scapular?" because he's being told he's not a Catholic yet. Ye either are or you're not. I don't know what all this 'yet' could be about. "Do you believe everything the church teaches and professes?" if the answer is aye, and you're baptised then yer a Catholic. It's nae an initiatory cult where ye have to wait for the stars to line up right or something, eh?

His questions show that he's in the learning process.  No one has said he can't visit the Blessed Sacrament, or wear the Brown Scapular, have they?

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

JoyfulMother

Quote from: Penelope on January 19, 2014, 02:21:41 PM
Everyone has to be properly catechized before receiving the sacraments, cradle Catholics or not. The OP is in the process of being catechized.

I think of my RCIA classes.  I KNOW I wasn't properly catechized.  I think of all the things I learned on my way to tradition and am still learning.

Where would this leave the majority of converts and NO Catholics?

Mr.Crowley

Quote from: Penelope on January 19, 2014, 02:21:41 PM
Everyone has to be properly catechized before receiving the sacraments
Nah, ye don't need an RE degree to go to confession. If ye believe what the Church teaches, and accept it, then you're good to go. You don't need lessons on it. The Nicene creed is all ye need ;)

Quote from: per_passionem_eius on January 19, 2014, 02:29:07 PM
His questions show that he's in the learning process.  No one has said he can't visit the Blessed Sacrament, or wear the Brown Scapular, have they?
No.

Quote from: JoyfulMother on January 19, 2014, 02:36:53 PM
I think of my RCIA classes.  I KNOW I wasn't properly catechized.  I think of all the things I learned on my way to tradition and am still learning.

Where would this leave the majority of converts and NO Catholics?

Exactly. Catechism classes are awful. Just get it done. If you're interested in the faith you'll do it yourself. If ye go to the Mass you'll learn it all in the priest's homily eventually, anyway.

Penelope

You're both missing the point. Regardless of how good or bad the typical catechism classes are, there is a process that has to be followed before people are admitted to the sacraments. bben can't just present himself for the sacraments without following this process.

Mr.Crowley

Penelope

Because priests can't just dispense the sacraments to any person who shows up and says, "Hey, I wasn't raised in the Faith but I'm Catholic, so I'll just have you hear my confession now, thanks." It doesn't work that way. Priests have to protect the sacraments from abuse, and simply permitting anyone to the sacraments is an abuse.

Jayne

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 11:14:52 AM
Quote from: bben15 on January 19, 2014, 10:57:49 AM
I was baptized as a Lutheran, not a Catholic. I haven't been received into the Catholic Church yet.

Was you baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost? And you now believe the creed of the Catholic church? If yes, then you're a Catholic. 'Reception into the church' isn't on the list of sacraments. What does that even entail? Is there a specific ritual that must be done or something? If you're baptised in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, and you believe the creed, then you're a Catholic. The paperwork is just a novelty.

Mr. Crowley, it is irresponsible for you to give advice to bben when you do not know what you are talking about.  I'm glad to see that you are asking about this in the "ask a trad" subforum and working on educating yourself.  Please take more care to avoid giving incorrect information to people who are seeking knowledge.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Mr.Crowley

What possible reason is there to prevent a baptised person of the Catholic faith from going to confession?

Mr.Crowley

I'm not hearing any reasons why I'm wrong here.

Jayne

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 06:58:26 PM
What possible reason is there to prevent a baptised person of the Catholic faith from going to confession?

When a person has been a heretic and wants to be a Catholic, he needs to publicly profess the Catholic faith and renounce his heresy (although this renunciation is not explicitly done in the modern RCIA.) 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Lynne

Quote from: Mr.Crowley on January 19, 2014, 06:58:50 PM
I'm not hearing any reasons why I'm wrong here.

Then you're not reading. Penelope explained why. He is not yet Catholic. Catholic children receive training before their First Communion and first Confession. He was not raised in the Catholic faith.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"