Spiritual director pay?

Started by CaritasVeritate, August 29, 2021, 09:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaritasVeritate

Hello,
I was wondering if you pay a spiritual director who is a parish priest. If he meets with you say every month. Or whats the proper way to go about this since he is spending time to help you. It might be insulting to give money. What is the norm in spiritual direction and is monetary payment expected? Thank you!

Melkor

I personally would just give him an envelope with whatever you can afford/feel is fair. Call it a donation.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Michael Wilson

A spiritual director does not expect any pay; and you are not obliged to give him any. However it would be advisable to do as Melkor suggested and give him a donation from time to time; not as a compensation for his office, but as an aid in helping him to sustain himself. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

CaritasVeritate