Should Catholics reject modern medicine?

Started by Chestertonian, August 27, 2021, 02:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Should Catholics reject modern medicine?

"Modern medicine" is a comprehensive term but a generic answer to the question is no. The Church has never indicated otherwise.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Tennessean

I don't know. What's interesting to me, when I took my medical exam for barge work, I was told I had better than 20/20 vision. Yet when I've paid the optometrist a visit, I've been told my eye sight is getting worse, every time, and I need new glasses. One doesn't want me to be a liability, the other is selling something... I'm very skeptical toward the whole system, and not just recently.

MaximGun

I only reject the parts of modern medicine I don't need.

The vaccine is rubbish anyway.  Booster shots every 5 months means it is next to useless.  Who wants a new shot every 5 months?  That is crazy.  This whole thing has been mismanaged from beginning to end.  I don't buy "it is deliberate and companies are making money from it".  In every crisis some company makes money.   In my view the Chinese created a chimera and the world refused to take action against them.  The Chinese are probably planning
to do it again.

Thanks to the CCP and their GoF research (paid for by the USA's deep state) we are going to have to simply live with Sars-Covid just as a part of Eastern Europe learned to live with radiation from Chernobyl.  In time it will just be considered another disease like influenza.

God has withdrawn His grace from the world, since far less masses are offered and prayers said and so we are devolving back to more brutal times.  We will see, even more than we have seen, what a world that rejects God is like.  Awful.

MaximGun

Article ends with the P.S.  "Please support me on Patreon so I can write more about Catholic moral theology".

Are priests not given a salary, fed, watered and given free housing?

Why on earth do he need you need to contribute money, so he can write?  Is he giving up paid work to write articles?  Does his salary drop when he spends 3 hours writing?

The social media and blogsphere world is essentially a bunch of beggars, the best of them on 6 figures, in begging bowl money.

Philip G.

What is modern medicine?  I tend to think that modern medicine predominantly addressed symptoms, and does not address causes.  If that is accurate, then "rejection"(of modern medicine) aside, I do not think that Catholics should "embrace" such medicine.     

Does said modern medicinal approach directly strengthen ones immune system?  If it doesn't, said medicinal approach shouldn't be embraced.  And, on the other hand, said modern medicine that "directly" weakens ones immune system should be "rejected" in my opinion.

Herbal medicine can directly strengthen ones immune system, and I don't believe it ever directly "weakens" ones immune system.  And, it is considered by all to be medicine.  Yet, it is the modern medicine "authority" that forbids herbal medicine's claim to a "cure".  Because, as I referenced above, modern medicine doesn't address causes, and therefor is incapable of providing a cure.  It logically follows.  Modern medicine is also dogmatic, by the very fact that it forbids other "medicine" from stating claims, of a cure in this case, as an "authority" might.  This dogmatic nature of modern medicine is an indication that it is actually not medicine, but in fact quasi religion.  Perhaps we are getting into a realm meriting "rejection" after all.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Lynne

Quote from: MaximGun on September 02, 2021, 04:22:57 AM
Article ends with the P.S.  "Please support me on Patreon so I can write more about Catholic moral theology".

Why on earth do he need you need to contribute money, so he can write?  Is he giving up paid work to write articles?  Does his salary drop when he spends 3 hours writing?

The social media and blogsphere world is essentially a bunch of beggars, the best of them on 6 figures, in begging bowl money.

Patheos is an AWFUL website. It does not attract talented writers.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

mikemac

Quote from: Clare on September 08, 2021, 02:09:11 PM
A couple of articles that address the issue:

https://creativeminorityreport.com/blog/2021/09/02/not-so-fast-the-very-misleading-article-by-a-priest-on-drugs-and-abortion-testing/

https://www.crisismagazine.com/2021/stop-pretending-the-covid-jab-is-morally-equivalent-to-other-meds

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Dr. Brian Kopp, the person that wrote the first article above used to post regularly in the Fish Eaters Forum.  He posted in this forum up to about five years ago too.  Back in the Fish Eaters Forum he organized a petition that was sent directly to Vladimir Putin's office asking him to ask the Pope of the time (Benedict I think) to consecrate Russia to Mary's Immaculate Heart.  It was just before Putin was to visit Rome.  It was a good effort, with a very good letter to Putin but nothing ever came of it.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Prayerful

Quote from: MaximGun on September 02, 2021, 04:22:57 AM

Priests don't necessarily have much. If a parish is poor, so too will the priest be. The same can hold for Orders, although money tends to flow upwards only. The LC are reckoned to have assets of rough $1bn, so surely they can pay him a decent stipend. Unless he is fathering children, which I think unlikely, whatever he gets is probably enough.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Maximilian

Quote from: mikemac on September 08, 2021, 02:39:15 PM

Dr. Brian Kopp, the person that wrote the first article above used to post regularly in the Fish Eaters Forum. 

I remember him from the long-ago days of FreeRepublic and Angelqueen. We disagreed on a few things, but he was a good guy with many excellent posts.

Kopp

Quote from: mikemac on September 08, 2021, 02:39:15 PM

Dr. Brian Kopp, the person that wrote the first article above used to post regularly in the Fish Eaters Forum.  He posted in this forum up to about five years ago too.  Back in the Fish Eaters Forum he organized a petition that was sent directly to Vladimir Putin's office asking him to ask the Pope of the time (Benedict I think) to consecrate Russia to Mary's Immaculate Heart.  It was just before Putin was to visit Rome.  It was a good effort, with a very good letter to Putin but nothing ever came of it.
Quote from: Maximilian on September 08, 2021, 07:41:35 PM

I remember him from the long-ago days of FreeRepublic and Angelqueen. We disagreed on a few things, but he was a good guy with many excellent posts.
Hi guys,
Thanks, great to "see" you both! I haven't visited this forum in a number of years but Clare had asked me a question about that Patheos article over on Facebook and my response to her inquiry there formed a large part of my article at CMR.

I think the subsequent Crisis article used my CMR article arguments as a launching point. It would have been nice to get a link in the Crisis article but at least the subterfuge of the Patheos article and author are being exposed.

Kopp

Quote from: Maximilian on September 08, 2021, 07:41:35 PMWe disagreed on a few things, but he was a good guy with many excellent posts.
Frankly I didn't know what the he!! I was talking about back then regarding traditional issues, theology and liturgy. Hopefully I've woken up a bit since then.

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux