Wanna talk about gun control?

Started by Sempronius, August 29, 2019, 05:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sempronius

Quote from: Antoninus on August 30, 2019, 06:44:05 AM
Gun laws were much less strict when I was growing up. There were also hardly any mass shootings. The increase in mass shootings is due to the increasing loss of our moral values as a nation. Abortion, the high divorce rate, fatherless children are all symptoms of this as are mass shootings. Stricter gun laws will not solve that problem.

So lets have easy access to guns for young fatherless men?

dellery

Gun control has to be one of the earthliest sentiments imaginable --putting trust in Big Brother's power to confiscate objects we deem too frightening for others to possess.
It's also bad policy that attacks our country-men and the freedoms that enable us to provide security for our families.
Gun control also devalorizes male virtue by rendering the male head of house impotent and dependent upon state power to protect himself and those he loves.
I have yet to see a coherent argument for gun-control --only platitudes and other meaningless form of regurgitation.
It also seems impossible to fathom that any virtuous male would be willing to surrender his arms when there are people that rely on him for safety.
Men that love, men that sacrifice their bodies for the sake of others, arm themselves.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Carleendiane

Gun control laws will not be abided by-by criminals. Pass all the laws you want, but they wiill never impact the criminal element. And it's the criminals that are committing acts of violence.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Sempronius

Quote from: Carleendiane on September 14, 2019, 08:23:51 PM
Gun control laws will not be abided by-by criminals. Pass all the laws you want, but they wiill never impact the criminal element. And it's the criminals that are committing acts of violence.

What about mass shootings? Liberal gun laws has now created a social phenomenon where men just kill innocent people without reason.

Sempronius

Quote from: dellery on September 14, 2019, 03:01:07 PM
Gun control has to be one of the earthliest sentiments imaginable --putting trust in Big Brother's power to confiscate objects we deem too frightening for others to possess.
It's also bad policy that attacks our country-men and the freedoms that enable us to provide security for our families.
Gun ownership also devalorizes male virtue by rendering the male head of house impotent and dependent upon state power to protect himself and those he loves.
I have yet to see a coherent argument for gun-control --only platitudes and other meaningless form of regurgitation.
It also seems impossible to fathom that any virtuous male would be willing to surrender his arms when there are people that rely on him for safety.
Men that love, men that sacrifice their bodies for the sake of others, arm themselves.

"It also seems impossible to fathom.." you know guns are only a prominent feature in America? Europeans simply just dont care about guns.

orate

Quote from: Sempronius on September 14, 2019, 11:02:29 PM

What about mass shootings? Liberal gun laws has now created a social phenomenon where men just kill innocent people without reason.

Mass shootings just prove Carleen' point.  Mass shootings are committed by criminals.  Gun laws will not stop criminals from committing crime.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

orate

Nice to see you back Carleen!  I have to be off to Mass.  But check your IM's later today.  I'll be contacting you.
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Sempronius

Quote from: orate on September 15, 2019, 06:03:46 AM

Mass shootings just prove Carleen' point.  Mass shootings are committed by criminals.  Gun laws will not stop criminals from committing crime.

It certainly stops people with no criminal record from buying guns and shooting people when they snap.

Gardener

Quote from: Sempronius on September 15, 2019, 06:22:39 AM

It certainly stops people with no criminal record from buying guns and shooting people when they snap.

At best, it just shifts the mechanism by which they conduct their crime.

At worst, it shifts them into far more unpreventable methods.

And, if they have no criminal record, how does it prevent something -- unless you mean the complete eradication of guns from a place. To that, we see that the criminal element in such locations as have done so still have them. So, it prevents nothing at all for the ones who desire to just cast all to the wind.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

dellery

Quote from: Sempronius on September 14, 2019, 11:07:24 PM
Gun ownership also devalorizes male virtue by rendering the male head of house impotent and dependent upon state power to protect himself and those he loves.

"It also seems impossible to fathom.." you know guns are only a prominent feature in America? Europeans simply just dont care about guns.

Take a look at Europe, think we should take direction from them?? If Russians stormed into the Fulda Gap the Europeans wouldn't be able to hold them and they definitely wouldn't be able to wage (except for the Poles) an effective guerrilla campaign either. The Europeans are utterly dependent on the US. Gun control is only a microcosm of the overall state of helplessness the European man has placed himself in. What kind of men, by and large, surrender their sense of responsibility to the extant that they leave their women and children vulnerable to outside attack, while arrogantly deriding men who have not?? If you have to live in such an environment it is empirically more difficult maintain male virtue (courage, honor, sacrifice, magnanimity, & gallantry in a fight). Throwing yourself off of a cliff and expecting God to save you is not a wise move.
Seriously, do you have any idea how many children sleep safely at night because they have a male in their life that will commit extreme violence against any who should bring them harm?
Look at the abuse rates for children in no-father houses, it's through the roof.
How many Europeans sleep safely at night, for now, because American guns are keeping them safe, only to have these same Europeans snarkily attack Americans for owning the guns (small & large) that keep them safe. It should also be obvious as well then, as to why America is the last hope of the world, and the location of the Final Battle against infanticide.
If the US falls, outside of the miraculous, the entire world is doomed, and you think we should disarm ourselves?

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

Tales

Quote from: Sempronius on September 14, 2019, 11:07:24 PM

America and Europe are apples and oranges.  Entirely different situations in these places as I noted before.

I live in HK.  Other than the recent insanity going on, there is otherwise almost no crime, and hence zero need to arm myself.  But if I lived in America, where there is a lot of crime, I absolutely would arm myself. 

Weapons make crime easier, but weapons do not make criminals.  HK has no weapons and yet the streets are flooded these past few months with rioting criminals doing much violence, all without guns.  Weapons did not make these people become criminal, it was far deeper reasons that brought forth the insanity.  Europe does not have less crime because it has no guns, it has less crime for far deeper reasons.  America has lots of crime for very deep reasons that have nothing to do with guns.  And thus simple American families like the many good people here are very right to arm themselves as they must protect their families from criminals.

I know personally two women raped (truly raped, as in window-intruder type rape) and one man murdered.  I know another man purposefully run over and killed just two houses down from mine.  My friend even prevented a bank robbery by chasing the criminals with a bat.  I once received a phone call informing me of a mental asylum patient escaped from the nearby hospital.  And this is all just when I was a youth living in an upscale neighborhood of Tampa FL.  And that is merely a list of things that have a very close connection to my personal life, not just local news reports.

My wife is mainland Chinese and her family visited California last year.  On the very first full day there their car was broken into and bag stolen.  Thankfully it was a "nice" criminal who tossed their passports onto a nearby lawn and that person somehow got it back to them.  But the valuables were gone, car window shattered.

With that type of criminality in proximity of my personal life, how would I not want to protect myself?  In lower scale neighborhoods I imagine the amount of crime is far greater, especially with the drug epidemic (which results in addicts killing people for $20).  Crime is no joke and the police take 10+ minutes to come and it only takes 5 seconds for a criminal to ruin your family's life.

Tales

Quote from: Gardener on September 15, 2019, 06:40:04 AM

At best, it just shifts the mechanism by which they conduct their crime.

At worst, it shifts them into far more unpreventable methods.

And, if they have no criminal record, how does it prevent something -- unless you mean the complete eradication of guns from a place. To that, we see that the criminal element in such locations as have done so still have them. So, it prevents nothing at all for the ones who desire to just cast all to the wind.

Yes, in mainland China there are close to zero guns.  But, no surprise, Chinese society has some major social problems.  And so in China we see there too the phenomenon of mass killings.  But since there are no guns the criminals simply use a different mechanism.  They walk into kindergartens and kill 5-10 children with knives.  It happens several times a year in China, God rest their little souls.

orate

So the person who snaps uses a machete or a bat or something else to cause mayhem.  It is not the instrument, but the person who is responsible for his actions.

Again, what percentage of those gunownwers with no criminal record, actually snap and use guns to commit a crime?  I'm betting pretty darn low.

So all of us should be denied the right to self defense because of the minuscule number that may or may not snap.

Again, the exception makes for bad law.

Sempronius

Quote from: orate on September 15, 2019, 08:32:47 AM

So the person who snaps uses a machete or a bat or something else to cause mayhem.  It is not the instrument, but the person who is responsible for his actions.

Again, what percentage of those gunownwers with no criminal record, actually snap and use guns to commit a crime?  I'm betting pretty darn low.

So all of us should be denied the right to self defense because of the minuscule number that may or may not snap.

Again, the exception makes for bad law.

You cant kill 59 people from your hotel suite with a machete, so I feel better if crazy men only have knifes.

But when it comes to statistics for mass shooting, its not important how many there are, its enough that it happens once a month, and it will forever change peoples consciousness. I bet the school kids have drills for active shooter situation?

A mass shooting is the highest form of nihilism

dellery

Quote from: Sempronius on September 15, 2019, 10:30:47 AM

You cant kill 59 people from your hotel suite with a machete, so I feel better if crazy men only have knifes.

But when it comes to statistics for mass shooting, its not important how many there are, its enough that it happens once a month, and it will forever change peoples consciousness. I bet the school kids have drills for active shooter situation?

A mass shooting is the highest form of nihilism

And using terror attacks to justify stripping people of their God given rights is quite an act of cynicism.

Nous Defions