Scrupulosity

Started by ChristusRex, March 04, 2019, 08:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristusRex

This is my first post. Does anyone have experience with scrupulosity? I am just curious because it started for me about a year ago or so. I know that scrupulosity is a symptom of pride and inordinate self love. I know it can only be conquered by humility. I just wanted to know if anyone here has struggled with it and how they overcame it. Thanks everyone.
The Lord our God from tree doth reign

crossingtherubicon

Misunderstanding of No Salvation Outside the Church: The Catholic Church; the Catholic Faith and the Institution put in place on Earth to protect the Catholic Faith I find to have 3 separate definitions. Salvation is found only inside the Catholic Church only because it is the same thing and equal to the Mystical Body of Christ. To be in the Mystical Body of Christ one must worthily partake in the Eucharist and have Jesus Christ reign King of their soul. Hence any Orthodox who believes in the Catholic Faith could be a Catholic. Jesus Christ must reign King of your soul to be saved and the only way Jesus Christ can enter your soul is through the miracle of the Holy Spirit which turns simple Bread and Wine into the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ as the Rightful King and High Priest has authority outside time therefore can administer the Eucharist outside of time so potentially one could become a member of the Mystical Body of Christ during the moment before the soul leaves the body but that would be outside the authority of the Institution put in place to protect the Catholic Faith on Earth.

ChristusRex

revival2029, I think you might have posted your comment in the wrong thread. I was asking about scrupulosity, not EENS. Lol

Gardener

Quote from: ChristusRex on March 04, 2019, 08:59:12 PM
This is my first post. Does anyone have experience with scrupulosity? I am just curious because it started for me about a year ago or so. I know that scrupulosity is a symptom of pride and inordinate self love. I know it can only be conquered by humility. I just wanted to know if anyone here has struggled with it and how they overcame it. Thanks everyone.

I haven't but someone close to me has/is.

Read these:
https://www.olmcfssp.org/index.php/olmc/post/on-scrupulosity

https://fatherdoyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/scruples-and-their-treatment.pdf

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38355/38355-h/38355-h.htm

The last is available on Amazon for cheap. Just search Light and Peace Quadrupani

Most importantly, you need, if possible, to find a good confessor or spiritual director to whom you can submit in complete obedience and who has at least some experience with leading scrupulous persons. You will not read your way out of this, nor will you lead yourself out of it. You must trust Christ and demonstrate this by following the directives of His priest who shall lead you away from this awful condition.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

MundaCorMeum

You're definitely not alone.  In fact, this topic has come up many times on this forum, so you could search around for those, and see what has previously been posted.  I've read many helpful posts on here concerning this topic. 

Scrupulosity is something I struggle with, as well.  It's a heavy cross, but you can indeed carry it, if you cling to Christ.  Like you said, it's pride and inordinate self-love.  The fact that you recognize it for what it is, is a HUGE step in the right direction.  You can't fight the enemy, if you have no idea who or what it is  ;)  And, that is actually an aspect of humility....seeing things for what they really are.  You are off to a good start in fighting the good fight  :)  Never give up. 

Always, always, always, keep Christ at the center.  The key to fighting scrupulosity is taking yourself out of the center of your thoughts, and replacing them with Christ.  It's incredibly hard, and Satan is relentless.  Stay close to confession.  That helps me tremendously.  Every two weeks, if possible, but try really hard to not go more than a month without it, at least.  If that's not possible, beg God for the graces to make do with what you can. 

Secondly, Scripture is a VERY powerful weapon against scrupulosity for me.  You tend to believe and live out the thoughts you feast on, so if you don't fight against those scrupulous trains of thought, you end up believing and living according to them.  They are all lies that Satan uses.  He uses your pride against you.  Fight it with Truth from Holy Scripture.  The more you replace the lies that scrupulosity instills in your mind with Goodness, Truth, and Beauty, the better. 

I hope you find respite and peace!   :pray3:

Heinrich

Your timing is great. I have found that denial of pleasant, unnecessary things helps. Now that we are on Lent's doorstep, give your passions a crushing blow. Easier said than done, I know. As the poster Gardener said, it would be wise to find a spiritual advisor who can give you proper guidance.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

ChristusRex

Quote from: Gardener on March 04, 2019, 11:23:03 PM

I haven't but someone close to me has/is.

Read these:
https://www.olmcfssp.org/index.php/olmc/post/on-scrupulosity

https://fatherdoyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/scruples-and-their-treatment.pdf

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38355/38355-h/38355-h.htm

The last is available on Amazon for cheap. Just search Light and Peace Quadrupani

Most importantly, you need, if possible, to find a good confessor or spiritual director to whom you can submit in complete obedience and who has at least some experience with leading scrupulous persons. You will not read your way out of this, nor will you lead yourself out of it. You must trust Christ and demonstrate this by following the directives of His priest who shall lead you away from this awful condition.

Gardener, thank you for your reply!

Funny enough, the priest who wrote the first article, Father Jackson FSSP was my former spiritual director! haha
The second article I have also read.
I will definitely read the third one.

Unfortunately, scrupulosity is illogical. I find that no matter how many times I read about dealing with scrupulosity, it does not get better. This is because scrupulosity is not reasonable. It is completely against reason and it is fueled by my emotions!

As far as spiritual direction, I have one priest (Novus Ordo) that I do trust. I live about an hour and half (depending on traffic) away from an SSPX parish and I would like to contact one of their priests. Because I also scruple about going to confession with a priest ordained in the New Rite (validity etc.)

Gardener

Lovely that you already know of Fr. Jackson and can (hopefully!) trust what he writes on the subject.

Are you in Colorado by chance or did you know him elsewhere?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

ChristusRex

Quote from: Gardener on March 05, 2019, 07:52:05 PM
Lovely that you already know of Fr. Jackson and can (hopefully!) trust what he writes on the subject.

Gardener,
Yes I am from Centennial, CO which is the town next to Littleton where Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is located. I trust and admire him very much. He is a very holy man.

Gardener

Quote from: ChristusRex on March 05, 2019, 09:03:15 PM

Gardener,
Yes I am from Centennial, CO which is the town next to Littleton where Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is located. I trust and admire him very much. He is a very holy man.

Do/did you go to OLMC? If so, I wonder if we know each other.

I used to live in Littleton.

ChristusRex

Quote from: Gardener on March 05, 2019, 10:27:47 PM
Quote from: ChristusRex on March 05, 2019, 09:03:15 PM

Gardener,

Do/did you go to OLMC? If so, I wonder if we know each other.

I used to live in Littleton.

I currently live in Fort Collins (going to school at CSU). I started going to OLMC around November 2018. When I would come down to visit my parents, I would go there. I don't know too many people at OLMC. Just out of curiosity, do you know Kevin Roerty?
When I head down to Centennial, I've been going to St. Isidore's in Watkins.

Chestertonian

I was told by a priest that I had scruples... But I've always dealt with some anxiety since I was a kid, so it might just be an extension of that.  I don't think there's one simplistic answer for everyone who deals with it but I found that the medication I take does have an effect on my thoughts and the more depressed I am the more scrupulous/despairing I am.  I have heard people saying that it's rooted in pride but that just makes me hate myself more...like... wanting to hurt myself

is like a form of mental self torture and I tell myself that I deserve it
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

james03

Basically if you have determined you have scruples, it is a clear sign of reprobation.  This means undoubtedly you are going to hell.

Joking aside.  I've never had scruples, but for some reason I keep running into people that have it.  From what I observed it appears to be a demonic attack (no, you are not possessed) which aims to keep you from the sacraments as the final goal, i.e. it is an intelligent attack designed to lead you to despair and get dragged to hell by the filthy loser demons.  It should piss you off.

From what I observed from what people have said, it appears that the demons keep telling you that God is laying traps for you, so salvation is such a remote possibility, you just need to give up.  Furthermore by attempting to pray/receive the sacraments, all you are doing is pissing God off more, thus increasing your eventual suffering in hell.

I think there is a three prong attack (Go On the Offensive and beat back the miserable demons) to fix this:

1.  Spiritual warfare.  Laugh at them.
2.  Increase your Charity.  Jesus your God, King, Lord, Savior, Brother and Friend, who our heart leaps when we hear His Glorious Name suffered unbearable pain because He loves you so much He'd do it again if He had to (per impossibile).  Lent is a great time to grow your gratitude and love for Christ.
3.  Repair any psychological damage that the demons have caused via scruples.

I've recommended this before, and have gotten positive feed back:

1.  Cut prayer to (1) a morning offering, and (2) an act of contrition before bed.  This will be for 1 week.  This is what the Church requires, so lose the spiritual pride.
2.  This will lure in the demons.  They will attack.  They will tell you how unworthy you are.  Laugh at them.  Pray: "Guardian angels, these stupid demon monkeys are trying to tell me Jesus is mad at me for obeying the Church.  Jesus, who shed His Blood for love of me.  What a joke".
3.  Expect further attacks.  Laugh harder at them.
4.  Continue with your prayer schedule for a week, then add a few additional prayers in that are truly meaningful and helpful to you.
5.  Go to confession every two weeks.  Listen to your confessor and follow what he says.
6.  Understand that if the priest wants additional information, he will ask.  Otherwise list your sins without a story attached.
7.  I'd start each confession by telling the priest "I have scruples", then list your sins.  Don't explain, and don't get into discussions about it unless HE asks questions.  Keep it short.
8.  Obedience to your confessor is key.

That should help.

"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Gardener

Quote from: ChristusRex on March 05, 2019, 11:37:26 PM
I currently live in Fort Collins (going to school at CSU). I started going to OLMC around November 2018. When I would come down to visit my parents, I would go there. I don't know too many people at OLMC. Just out of curiosity, do you know Kevin Roerty?
When I head down to Centennial, I've been going to St. Isidore's in Watkins.

Ah, we would not have crossed paths then.

I do not know that particular Kevin.