World Cup 2018

Started by LausTibiChriste, June 17, 2018, 02:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Croatia won 2-1 and deservedly so!

Great team performance! England was knocked out of the WC but Southgate's work has been very good. They're on the right track with a team full of young talent. They lost today against a superior team in their prime.

Now we'll have France-Croatia for the final match. I'm rooting for the Croats but the French should take this one.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

awkwardcustomer

It was all too familiar, we've seen it before, as the song points out.

I quite soon became more interested in the various sounds in my neighbourhood.  The cries following an England miss sounded different from those following a Croatia miss, for example.

Whether it was the above, or the mind control, or a bit of both - it worked. I hardly noticed the second goal by Croatia and missed the end.

It's been fun though.

Whoever wins the final - congratulations.
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

clau clau

Emotional Insurance policy paid out (see below)

Seemed inevitable.  England players are just not good enough at ball control skills.  Under pressure they always resort to passing back to the goalkeeper who kicks it up the pitch and loses possession.

Nothing will change despite all the positives.  There is too much money in the game now and kids have playstations to entertain themselves.

So many jokes, so many jeers
But all those oh-so-nears
Wear you down
Through the years

-- 3 Lions

Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Greg

It's incredible really how shitty they are at keeping possession.  Another thing I noticed was how they would need another quarter to half second to control a pass and play it on or shoot.

One touch football it certainly ain't.  More like 3 touch.

The best person in the English team to control the ball with his feet was Pickford the goalkeeper
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

JackoPaul

I may be English and a football supporter but I just hate the English national team and really cant support them. I find many Liverpool supporters feel the same way. If it comes to the national rugby or cricket teams I am right behind them, but not the football team. I usually support Ireland if they qualify, so this time I supported Croatia because it's a country I have holidayed in many times and I cant fault it. It is still a Catholic country but I am not sure for how long now its a member of the EU.

Without sounding too biased (which I am) England were found out and this is glossed over. They only got through to the semis because they never met a good team earlier. They really struggled against Columbia and they are not that good. As for Sweden none of their players are top flight regulars. I think only one of them played in a top flight league, the premier league and he never gets a first team place. England got lucky other much better teams had no luck (especially Brazil against Belgium) they got harder groups, got drawn against each other and got knocked out or played badly. England will never have a better chance

If you had to pick a world 11 how many English show offs would you select? none
If you had to pick a world 22 how many English show offs would you select? none
If you had to pick a world 33 how many English show offs would you select? none

Why do I hate England probably because of the players. They are mostly horrible spoilt brats. They have never had a job in there lives and have been mollycoddled from a young age by pushy parents that see dollars. None of them live in the real world. They have no loyalty to the teams they play for nor the fans, they will quite happily move club for a wage increase from 200k per week to 250k per week. As if that would make a difference and then they expect the fans to understand. Many of them are total uneducated low life and if it wasn't for them getting lucky at football would probably be with many of their peers in jail or pushing up daisy's. They seem to spend most of their time shopping, getting sun tans and full body shaves so they can look at themselves in the mirror and take selfies with their latest bimbo to post on social media. The English players are the reason the premier league is made up of 80% foreign players. English players are over rated and much more expensive, lazy, lack the skills of the foreign players and are more trouble than they are worth.

As for Gareth Southgate he has the charisma of a rocking horse. He is a useless manager as he showed at Middlesbrough. He only got the England job by default because of Sam Allardyce's sacking and no one else would take it. His team were not physically prepared they got tired against Croatia even though Croatia had all them extra time games and even a hard training session for an hour the night before the England game. England will get found out again once the qualifying starts for the 2020 Euros. I wont be surprised if they don't qualify, but if the do they wont get to the semis again and Sir Gareth Southgate will get the sack himself. He should never have been given the job after mocking his England penalty miss in that Pizza Hut advert and cashing in. What sort of integrity does this man have? There again he obviously thought he would need the money because he was so thick no one would ever be stupid enough to give him a job when he retires from being just an average player.

I am sick to death of hearing how brave and young they are. What a load of BS! Lads under 18 forged their age and signed up to fight in WW2 now thats what young and brave really means. They are being called heros BS! That is what the two guys that just arrived back from Thailand after finding the thick $#%#5%^$%! that took a load of kids into a cave system during a monsoon. I am also sick to death of this everyone is a winner BS. Now the team is going for tea with the hunchback PM (There again maybe that is a punishment). They lost the over paid $#%#5%^$%! they deserve sweet FA. If I fail at my job I get the sack. Now they are trying to get the plank called Southgate a knighthood due to the BS he was spouting about uniting the broken demoralised country and feeling the countries energy behind them. Well what happened against Croatia maybe the Scotish and Welsh peoples energy had a greater effect on the Croatia team? It used to be that you received a knighthood for supreme acts of bravery or putting your life on the line for your country. Now you only get one for being the manager of a loosing football team or a homosexual pop star.

So its France v Croatia in the final who do you want to win? Croatia obviously! If it were England v France I would even want England to win.

I think France are over rated. Argentina were awful and scored 3 past France. Uruguay could have beat France with Cavani fit and no dreadful goal keeper mistakes. France were not much better than Belgium in the semi. So I think Croatia are a good bet at 5/2 I reckon their true probability is about a 40% chance so its a good value punt

JackoPaul

I forgot to mention the England fans. Not the real fans the football hooligans that think they are so hard causing trouble. Well they are just scum like many of the players. Why didn't they fly to Russia to support their team and have fight. Because they were too scared of getting a proper kicking in Russia just like they got off the Russia hooligans in France during the last Euros. Even tiny Croatia with a population of just 4 million managed to muster more fans than England.

Greg

I know a premier league club junior footballer.  He has played for Chelsea since he was 13 , now 21 or 22 and the last thing he is is mollycoddled.  Professional sports people work their asses off.  They are on strict diets, strict training regimes, strict curfews and bedtimes.  They give up a lot of fun in their teens and early twenties to remain at that level which is perhaps why when they make the premier league IST teams they sometimes behave like spoiled brats.

I wouldn't want my kids to give up that.  Not worth it
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Frank

Quote from: JackoPaul on July 12, 2018, 07:30:23 PM

........................................................................................... Now the team is going for tea with the hunchback PM (There again maybe that is a punishment). ....................................................

LOL. I must admit I feel a bit sorry for May, what with her diabetes and all. Still, if people don't
like the heat they should keep out of  the kitchen, eh!

I glad to see Trump is laying into the anti-Brexit adulterers. Difficult to know what effect it will have though. Hopefully it will strengthen the hand of UKIP and the pro-Brexit MPs.
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

clau clau

Interesting interview with Adrian Chiles today on the World Cup daily podcast.  His dad is English and his mum is Croatian.

Modric, memes and seeking solace from chaos are amongst the talking points in our first World Cup final preview pod. Mark's joined by Adrian Chiles (who is half Croatian) Guillem Balague and Steve Crossman who discuss whether the Croatians have a inferiority complex and look at how a nation of just four million people consistently produce excellent footballers. Plus what's it like watching a football match with Eric Clapton?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06dllw9
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: JackoPaul on July 12, 2018, 08:00:27 PM
I forgot to mention the England fans. Not the real fans the football hooligans that think they are so hard causing trouble. Well they are just scum like many of the players. Why didn't they fly to Russia to support their team and have fight. Because they were too scared of getting a proper kicking in Russia just like they got off the Russia hooligans in France during the last Euros. Even tiny Croatia with a population of just 4 million managed to muster more fans than England.

Would you have preferred it if the England fans, the hooligans you refer to as "scum" not the real fans of course, had gone to Russia and engaged in full scale war with their Russian counterparts?

And did I misunderstand what you wrote, or did you really, as the Englishman you say you are, support Croatia against England?  Did you?

If so, then you really are 'avin a larf, mate'.

England made it to the semi-finals of the World Cup.  To ignore his fact and bang on about their easy group and other irrelevancies misses the point that this is how the World Cup works. 

And the Premier League is filled with foreign players because it's cheaper to poach players from other countries than to train up home grown youngsters which takes time, effort and money.  The NHS does the same - poaching trained medical professionals from developing nations rather than paying for expensive training courses at home. 
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  

Vetus Ordo

I may be English and a football supporter but I just hate the English national team and really cant support them.

(...)

Your whole post is a staggering display of football ignorance.

On all sorts of levels (evaluating players, teams, the nature of the tournament, etc.). It's a textbook example of someone who doesn't know a flying rat about the game and yet rants non-stop.

Delicious.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Sempronius

The final is at 5 pm and I have mass at 4. Maybe I could get the priest to say a low mass in 15 minutes like some priests did pre vatican 2

JackoPaul

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on July 13, 2018, 09:17:29 AM
I may be English and a football supporter but I just hate the English national team and really cant support them.

(...)

Your whole post is a staggering display of football ignorance.

On all sorts of levels (evaluating players, teams, the nature of the tournament, etc.). It's a textbook example of someone who doesn't know a flying rat about the game and yet rants non-stop.

Delicious.

I didn't realise Jose Mourinho was a member of this forum wow I am not worthy.

If you know better and got something to say then say it don't make sweeping know all statements like that genius.

If I was you I would just keep my big mouth shut

JackoPaul

Quote from: awkwardcustomer on July 13, 2018, 08:58:10 AM
Would you have preferred it if the England fans, the hooligans you refer to as "scum" not the real fans of course, had gone to Russia and engaged in full scale war with their Russian counterparts?

Stupid question, but anyway my point is they pick their targets, they are cowards and not real fans. As for the real fans they are being investigated by FIFA for racists chants during the Croatia game

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/987940/england-croatia-world-cup-fans-chant-no-surrender-fifa-ira

And did I misunderstand what you wrote, or did you really, as the Englishman you say you are, support Croatia against England?  Did you?

If so, then you really are 'avin a larf, mate'.

Don't dare question my patriotism because you think I should be supporting the England football team unconditionally like some brainless moron. I served my country in the army and was ready to risk my life when I was on standby for the first gulf war. How far does your patriotism extend beyond sitting on the couch cheering on the England football team?

The players are mercenaries they aren't even patriotic themselves how many players in the world cup were playing for countries that they had only played club football in for a few years? Given that how many England players would play for another country for the money? I would say most of them, they have proved that in the past moving between clubs. The manager also proved that when he shamelessly took Pizza Huts money. Look at Spain half the players supported Catalan independence.

So if we follow your logic you would support an English IS muslim man previously married, who was a drunken, drug user, adulterer, wife beater forcing her into abortions, later became a transvestite, married another guy and adopted kids and went on to represent his country in the EuroVision song contest? If not why not what are you a bigot, racist, not patriotic? Hey but lets make a team of them is it fine to support them now?

England made it to the semi-finals of the World Cup.  To ignore his fact and bang on about their easy group and other irrelevancies misses the point that this is how the World Cup works. 

You are in cloud cuckoo land if you think England are the third or fourth best team in the World and can't see how lucky they was to get to the semi final. They had an easy group and easy teams in the knockout stages, but they still made it difficult at times. Yes like you I have an IQ above 3 and I know how the World cup works they have the Group stage to filter out the crap teams that shouldn't be there. That's is why England came last in their group in 2014 and I must say with much better players than today's team. If it was a World League instead of a cup do think England would finish first? I think England would be very lucky because they couldn't get relegated. You really need to stop watching the brainwashing MSM and reading the rag tabloids they are only trying to distract people from the real news as they stupidly jumped on the England bandwagon. England were lucky to get knocked out by tiny Croatia in the end, because France would have really shown them up in the final. What sort of arguments would you have come up with then?

So I suppose you now believe the YOUNG England team are turning into world beaters and are going onto dominate the 2020 Euros and next World Cup. Who's having a larf now mate! Lets not forget how BRAVE they all are and how PROUD we are of them for being such good losers. Arise Sir Gareth!

And the Premier League is filled with foreign players because it's cheaper to poach players from other countries than to train up home grown youngsters which takes time, effort and money.  The NHS does the same - poaching trained medical professionals from developing nations rather than paying for expensive training courses at home.

You think its cheaper to pay tens of millions for a foreign player than to develop your own. Come on that is a ridiculous statement. Every club has dozens of youngster playing for them at a fraction of the cost of one decent foreign player. The problem is that very few make the grade. Probably because of their mindsets i.e. being mollycoddled and told they are going to be the next Messi and turning into spoilt, rich arrogant little shits before achieving anything. They pale into insignificance to the great team of 1966 whom I certainly would have supported. Don't get me wrong I do not even support club football any more for the same reasons.

Don't even start me on the NHS or you will see a proper rant!

I know of a couple of premier league footballers and their families. Some of them are total low life. One of them played for England and had fantastic talents and would have probably made a world eleven team. He leads a disgraceful hedonistic lifestyle like his family. These people are no longer sportsmen many of them think they are superstar entertainers and gangster rappers. They have an entourage bigger than the actual football team. They are supposed set an example to young people so no wonder society is screwed. So am i a supposed to worship them and wish them even more success? You can if you want but don't try and get me to by telling me I am not patriotic and I don't know anything about football.

Lets not forget this is a catholic forum after all

awkwardcustomer

Quote from: JackoPaul on July 13, 2018, 02:10:45 PM
Don't even start me on the NHS or you will see a proper rant!

The only person likely to start you on the NHS is you.

Please don't.  One rant full of wild and over the top accusations is enough.