Suggestion: Anonymous Subforum

Started by Geremia, September 22, 2017, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Heinrich

Why? So Gomers can post Nazi rants similar to another forum?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Geremia

Quote from: Heinrich on September 22, 2017, 10:23:26 PMWhy? So Gomers can post Nazi rants similar to another forum?
No, so arguments are considered and not the person giving the arguments (prevents ad hominems). As St. Thomas wrote in his De Modo Studendi:
QuoteDo not consider who the person is you are listening to, but whatever good he says commit to memory.

Miriam_M

Geremia,
I see anonymous authorship of a blog as different from anonymous posts on a thread.  The link you posted isn't exactly what some of us, perhaps, have read on another forum in the way of anonymous threads on a forum.  In the latter case, what I have read on anonymous threads are dysfunctional attempts by married women to avoid communicating with their husbands

Greg

Absolutely not.  You have just been banned from Cathinfo and now you want to bring the stupidest of their ideas here.

We have enough problems with idiots and manipulators making second accounts.  Let's not build the trolls a phucking dining room.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Miriam_M

THIS:

Quote from: Greg on September 23, 2017, 01:21:31 AM

We have enough problems with idiots and manipulators making second accounts. 

red solo cup

When I was on CathInfo the Anonymous sub-forum was full of nastiness with some of the quarrels spilling over into the other sub-forums.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

An anonymous subforum here would not necessarily be as bad as the one at CI because there is a different approach to moderation here.  But even the best case scenario would require extra work for the moderators.  Anonymity brings out the worst in people so in a subforum I would expect many posts that require moderator intervention.  I just don't see any advantages that make it worth the extra work.  (And without the extra work I would expect the dysfunctional situation that exists on the CI anonymous forum.)

It's a bad idea.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: Geremia on September 22, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Suggestion for this forum: Make an anonymous subforum.

cf. Ten Reasons For The Anonymity Of Catholic Bloggers

The vast majority of the members here are already anonymous in the sense it is used in this article.  We do not use our real first and last real life names; we have user names. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Are there any practical advantages to making this?  I'm always welcome to suggestions, etc, but  there needs to be some substantial benefit to the subforum.

I foresee having the issues Jayne mentioned.  And, based on posting style, I imagine people aren't going to be completely anonymous, especially if I require them to first have an account (which I would).
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The Curt Jester

On a forum in which more people regularly post, I could see it easier to remain anonymous, but not on this one.   We usually have the same twenty people engaged in the majority of discussions.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

moneil

Quote from: Greg on September 23, 2017, 01:21:31 AM
Absolutely not.  You have just been banned from Cathinfo and now you want to bring the stupidest of their ideas here.

We have enough problems with idiots and manipulators making second accounts.  Let's not build the trolls a phucking dining room.

This gets right to the point, and I appreciate Greg's bluntness.  BAD IDEA, and many are aware of what a mess an "anonymous subforum" is, and how it is abused, on another trad forum.

Posters on any forum can already maintain as much anonymity as they choose; They have complete control over what they wish to disclose about themselves, other than a screen name.

People of faith are rather expected to have some backbone, the courage of their convictions, to be "fools for Christ" (ref. First Corinthians 4:10).  People of faith also are all too aware of their personal short comings, their doubts, their spiritual trials, and should be understanding of other's struggles as we all have our struggles in this area.  Also, genuine neophytes are going to have many legitimate questions to ask.  Regardless of this, I see no need, outside of the Sacrament of Confession (and its not really necessary there given the "seal", but I appreciate the comfort of anonymity in this context) for an "anonymous forum", with all the attendant abuses that are well demonstrated on other forums with such a "feature".

IF someone's query is of such a delicate and sensitive nature that they aren't comfortable posting under the already near anonymity of their user name, they probable shouldn't be taking the query to a public forum, but rather need to go directly to a priest, spiritual director, or a trusted confidant.

MilesChristi

Such a subforum would have to be invite only
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

PerEvangelicaDicta

I've thought the same, Geremia.   But we know, for the most part, that option in another forum is awful.  With that forum as a case study, occasionally it provides it's proper function (I had used it a few times myself), but it's often used for, or devolves into, abuse. Nowadays, overwhelmingly banal topics.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Geremia

Quote from: Jayne on September 23, 2017, 08:54:37 AM
Quote from: Geremia on September 22, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Suggestion for this forum: Make an anonymous subforum.

cf. Ten Reasons For The Anonymity Of Catholic Bloggers

The vast majority of the members here are already anonymous in the sense it is used in this article.  We do not use our real first and last real life names; we have user names.
Technically, I think you mean pseudonymous (not anonymous). Yes, most SD users have pseudonymous usernames.