Pope: does he cease to be infallible?

Started by Der Kaiser, February 12, 2013, 04:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 12, 2013, 12:52:14 PM
I don't know if be will return to a cardinal or not. St. Celestine V returned to his hermetic life.

I don't know what happened to the other claimants during the GWS. I know that Benedict XIII (Pedro de Luna) refused to step down, but if he did, would he be a cardinal?

Well, I think it's only the title he would retain.  After all, Cardinals over 80 can't vote in a conclave.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: totiusque on February 12, 2013, 04:46:32 AM
Wouldn't it be more prudent for the Conclave to be meeting now whilst there is still a sitting Pope, so that come Feb. 28th, the new Pope could just take over?  Or is it necessary for there to be an interregnum?

I believe canon law prescribes a certain interregnum period, which in this case is somewhat shortened because it does not include the traditional mourning.
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

jovan66102

Quote from: Bonaventure on February 12, 2013, 12:52:14 PM
St. Celestine V returned to his hermetic life.

Bonaventure, I'm well known as a nitpicker, but I sincerely hope that you meant 'hermit's' or 'eremitic' (the adjectival form of hermit) life and were not implying that Pope St Celestine was an hermetic magician. :)
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Lateran

I believe his two Cardinal titles are in use, meaning that they would not be available. There has been prior speculation that a resigned pope would have to be re-created a Cardinal. Most likely he will have to return to his Archbishop title (Archbishop of Munich and Freising, Emeritus) or an unoccupied Titular.

BUT, He his essentially at the mercy of the next Holy Father.

LongfellowDeeds

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 12, 2013, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on February 12, 2013, 05:33:54 AM
Quick question. What will Joseph/Benedict Ratzinger be called when he is no longer Pope. Will he just go back To Cardinal Ratzinger or something like "former Pope Benedict" This thing confuses the crud out of me. >:(

My understanding is that he will once more be Cardinal Ratzinger.  However, I bet the media will use "former Pope Benedict" because non-Catholics might not recognize his non-papal name.

The Artist Formerly Known as Pope Benedict?
I believe in the Resurrection of the Thread.

"The USCCB needs more Cojones and less Mahoneys."
-- C. Austermann

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien. As to be hated needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace." -- Alexander Pope

"A woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all." -- Samuel Johnson

"Who am I to budge?" -- Future Better Pope

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: LongfellowDeeds on February 14, 2013, 06:27:05 AM
Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 12, 2013, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on February 12, 2013, 05:33:54 AM
Quick question. What will Joseph/Benedict Ratzinger be called when he is no longer Pope. Will he just go back To Cardinal Ratzinger or something like "former Pope Benedict" This thing confuses the crud out of me. >:(

My understanding is that he will once more be Cardinal Ratzinger.  However, I bet the media will use "former Pope Benedict" because non-Catholics might not recognize his non-papal name.

The Artist Formerly Known as Pope Benedict?

:laugh:

More like the writer...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

voxxpopulisuxx

I dont know why you would let a protestant question your catholic faith at considering the bizaroo BS they belive...anyway you need only direct your bible banging friend to the passage where Christ tells folks to go to the pharasseees who "hold the seat of Moses" meaning it is the OFFICE that is under the charism of infallablility.
http://www.biblechristiansociety.com/download/mp3/apostolic_authority_and_the_pope.mp3
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

EcceQuamBonum

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 12, 2013, 11:15:07 AM
Yes but the last time a (Gregory XII) pope stepped down, they did not elect a new pope until after he died.

It's going to feel weird a former pope roaming around while a new pope reigns.

Let's see how this goes down.

Not exactly "roaming around," though.  (Rome-ing around?  LAWL.)  It seems that he has every intention of remaining cloistered within his new private residence and not doing much by way of interfering.  He's not even going to participate in the Conclave.  It doesn't even sound as though he wants a public role of any kind.  So, it seems that he would just as much prefer things move on so that he can live out his final years in peace.
"Sero Te amavi, Pulchritudo tam antiqua et tam nova.  Sero Te amavi!"-Confessions, X.27

"You've thought about eternity for twenty-five minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions."--

jovan66102

Quote from: Gottmitunsalex on February 12, 2013, 11:15:07 AM
Yes but the last time a (Gregory XII) pope stepped down, they did not elect a new pope until after he died.

Which, of course, was not the case when St Celestine V renounced the Papacy.
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/