What advice to you have for teens as they (hopefully) grow up?

Started by longstrangetrip5, July 24, 2018, 12:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longstrangetrip5

I would like to know what you think is important for young people to know about the world they are inheriting (the poor, poor things!) sigh...

For one, I would  tell them Don't believe everything you hear on the news, esp CNN and MSNBC and etc..

and there are other things thye need to know...

Greg

Don't fornicate before you marry.

Difficult, but achievable.

Will save you a whole heap of trouble.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

OCLittleFlower

Limit the number of new threads you start on internet forums...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

james03

Nobody owes you anything.  You get what you earn.

Nobody cares about your feelings.

There is no such thing as a career.  It is not the mystical talisman that unlocks the secrets of the patriarchy.  It's a job, and all jobs suck to some extent.

Men should work on all-male teams and learn about esprit de corp.

Women have a small window if they want to marry a good catch.  18-25.  After that, you'll probably have to "settle".

"Follow your heart, and the money will follow" is a lie.  Research what provides a good salary.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Kirin

Don't do anything permanent you can't get out of before twenty five, preferably thirty.

You won't be the same person, the people you like before then will get on your nerves after and that tattoo of whichever tribal pattern or angry looking animal made you feel cool in your early twenties will make you feel like a fool later.

Better to be alone than to settle; resentment easily builds in these parings where one party feels the other is unworthy of them

Michael Wilson

Stay in the stated of grace. Pray daily to the B.V.M and your Guardian Angel; assist regularly at the Sacraments; remember "What does it profit for a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his soul." If you save your soul, your life would have been a success, if you lose your soul, your life would be a failure.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

diaduit

Do one ignatian retreat in your early 20s. You'll be grounded in common sense and fortitude of faith. Doesn't mean you won't fall from Grace but it does give you a more sensible Catholic outlook for the world.

Listen to your parents, they love you and want you to have a steady life and get to heaven. No one else in the world will have your back like them. No they are not trying to kill your fun, be bossy for the sake of it and they no more about being a teenager than you do as hindsight is a wonderful tool.
All that being said, don't be afraid to assert yourself and break the apron strings when your ready  so you don't end up living in Mama's basement.
For girls and boys, keep your chastity in check. You do not want to be tied by getting pregnant, for the rest of your life to a skank or ner do well. It's a life sentence.

clau clau

Throw your PlayStation in the bin and get some practical skills.

Learn basic plumbing, electrics, carpentry.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/where_there%27s_muck_there%27s_brass
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

MundaCorMeum

Good stuff so far!  I'm just starting with teens, so hardly qualified to give tried and true advice, yet.  Just want to follow the thread and listen.

james03

QuoteDon't do anything permanent you can't get out of before twenty five, preferably thirty.

Really stupid advice, especially for young women.  Get married early.  Have kids when you are young.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

Heinrich

Dont go to "college." Unless you you are a dude who has at least a 120 IQ: engineering, medicine, law, finance, and other high IQ pursuits that can serve and earn well. If you are a wombman, find a southern traditional Catholic military officer. Then create an army of your own.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Christina_S

Listen to God's voice, ALWAYS. You never can tell where He might call you, or for what reason. He's got a real sense of humour...  ::)

These years of growing towards adulthood are exciting, but remember that they are formative years for shaping your character, conscience, and 'backbone.' Watch the company you keep, how you spend your time, your vocabulary and how colorful it is, and the state of your soul. Check yourself lots now, and it'll become habitual.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

ServusMariae

I'd tell them: Love your enemies. Pray for those who curse you & bless all who spit on you. Hold no grudges towards any man. Set your sights upon the Eternal Things instead of the earthly. Be in the world & not for the world.

John Lamb

More and more it will be better to leave them alone and abandon them to God, than to disturb their hearts with "advice". This is because you can only tell them what you know, and you don't know anything. Unless they come to you specifically seeking counsel, in which case you can only pray to the Holy Spirit for the gift of counsel, tell them what comes to mind, encourage them, and abandon them to God again.
"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

james03

QuoteMore and more it will be better to leave them alone and abandon them to God, than to disturb their hearts with "advice".
True.  Tell them only that if Allah wants them to be wealthy, they will be wealthy.  And if Allah decrees they live in poverty, they will live in poverty.  Allah wills it.

QuoteThis is because you can only tell them what you know, and you don't know anything.

Also true.  Objective Truth is a fable of the old, outdated Church.  The only truth is your truth, so they should sing a new reality into existence.