The fight to save Ireland's 8th Amendment

Started by Lynne, April 21, 2018, 05:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

There's a fabulous group on Facebook which is doing a great job of getting the word out on reasons to keep the 8th amendment (i.e. the ban on abortion).

https://www.facebook.com/lovelifeireland/

One of the many excellent points they raise is that this is a campaign to amend their constitution, a difficult process. After this, it's up to the politicians to make laws to make abortions even easier to obtain.

The country votes on May 25th.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

PerEvangelicaDicta

Distributed. Thank you for sharing.  What a battle.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Maximilian

Ireland elected a gay Indian as Prime Minister. Now he's leading to fight for abortion.

Ireland's Taoiseach launches campaign to overturn country's strict abortion laws ahead of next month's referendum
- Taoiseach Leo Varadkar launching campaign for abortion legalisation in Ireland
- May 25 referendum seeks to overturn almost complete ban on terminations
- He said opponents didn't think much of women and lacked compassion

Ireland's Taoiseach has urged the country to trust women as he launched a campaign to overturn some of the strictest abortion laws in Europe.

Ireland has a near-ban on terminations, and nine women travel abroad every day to countries where abortion is legal to end their pregnancies.

The May 25 referendum is the latest in a series of liberalisation measures which saw divorce and same-sex marriage legalised in 1996 and 2015.

'I am calling for a Yes vote because I trust women,' Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said.

He said change represented a measure of compassion, and an end to the chill factor facing those who want the procedure.

Mr Varadkar also rubbished suggestions reform would see the number of abortions rocket, and claimed those on that side of the argument thought very little of women.

Abortion is only available when a mother's life is at risk, but not in cases of fatal foetal abnormality, rape, or incest.

Parts of Ireland are becoming increasingly secular but the Catholic church is among those campaigning for a No vote, arguing an unborn child's life is sacrosanct.

The leadership of the largest party in Ireland's coalition Government, Mr Varadkar's Fine Gael, is pressing for Yes.

The ballot will be on whether to retain or repeal the Eighth Amendment of the constitution, which means the life of the woman and her unborn child are seen as equal.

Draft legislation proposes unrestricted abortion access be made available to women who are up to 12 weeks pregnant.

Fine Gael officially launched their Yes campaign at a theatre in Dublin on Saturday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5641573/Taoiseach-launches-Fine-Gael-bid-overturn-abortion-laws.html

Lynne

Doctors. lawyers, and nurses have come out against the Repeal the 8th movement. People are out canvasing every day and as I noted above, they keep hammering home the point that if the 8th goes, the politicians will control the further loosening of the law.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Maximilian

Quote from: Lynne on April 21, 2018, 11:24:52 AM

Doctors. lawyers, and nurses have come out against the Repeal the 8th movement. People are out canvasing every day and as I noted above, they keep hammering home the point that if the 8th goes, the politicians will control the further loosening of the law.

Yes, good point. The good people are not taking this lying down. The campaign has already been running for weeks. I know there are members of a traditional Catholic youth group who have been driving trucks with pro-life messages around Dublin.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Lynne

Quote from: Heinrich on April 21, 2018, 06:26:08 PM
Where is pope Francis in all This?
<crickets>

And his bishops...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diaduit

Thanks Lynne for this 😀

My family are out canvassing door to door. It breaks my heart I can't go but with current trials for dh and I , plus my.mum being so low I can't.
Judging by the door to door results we are hearing, it's a no to abortion. The campaign for prolife is very intense but of course the media are reporting polls for a yes win.
I wonder could we organise a novena starting 16th May there on SD? Seeing as it's the month of Our Lady anyone have any suggestions on a particular one?
Also would people sign up for a 9 hour novena to the Infant of Prague on the day?

Lynne

Quote from: diaduit on April 21, 2018, 11:10:31 PM
Thanks Lynne for this 😀

My family are out canvassing door to door. It breaks my heart I can't go but with current trials for dh and I , plus my.mum being so low I can't.
Judging by the door to door results we are hearing, it's a no to abortion. The campaign for prolife is very intense but of course the media are reporting polls for a yes win.
I wonder could we organise a novena starting 16th May there on SD? Seeing as it's the month of Our Lady anyone have any suggestions on a particular one?
Also would people sign up for a 9 hour novena to the Infant of Prague on the day?

Those are wonderful ideas and yes, the spiritual work (praying, etc) is just as important as the active work (canvassing). Maybe a novena to Our Lady of Good Success? I'll look around and report back.

{{hugs}}

Livenotonevil

Ireland's been lost since the Norman Invasion.
May God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, to be a Temple of the Holy Spirit.

Greg

If you vote Prolife the EU overlords will just make you vote again.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

diaduit

The pro aborts may have over reached with the actual wording of the amendment, 12 weeks unrestricted abortion. Prolife has a chance of winning, but yes Greg we will be made vote again if they lose.

jovan66102

Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Xavier

I wish we could have a Rosary crusade for Ireland to defeat modern heathenism and its infanticidal agenda here on this forum. If members could collectively commit to offering at least a 1000 Rosaries over the next ten days (e.g. 100 members offering 1 Rosary every day) for this intention, I feel sure Catholic Ireland will withstand and defeat the culture of death and the pro-life Eighth Amendment will be upheld. A novena or any other suggestion is also worth considering.

The day to push back severely against the liberal eu for its wretched interference in Catholic and pro life countries will come later on, but the major struggle at present is in Ireland itself. It's encouraging to see Catholics in Ireland stand strongly for life.

Two things to avoid: we should never secularize the pro-life movement, we stand and fight for unborn children in the Name of the God Who became an Unborn Child; and in that Name we will conquer. And by the power of the Immaculate Mother Who gave birth to God, we will fight against modern pagan mothers who love killing their children; as well as effeminate liberal men who support killing infants. Secular pro-life folk are welcome, but the pro-life movement should be firmly allied to Christianity and the Church. Secondly, we should never be anti-clerical come what may, but rather support and stand with priests, bishops and the Church; and it should be they who direct and guide major pro-life initatives, with us laity fully united with them in prayer and other support.

Infanticide was common in the pagan world, even in Ireland, before Christ through St. Patrick and others fought against and outlawed it. Christ and His Church have overcome and conquered infanticide and abortion before, and will do so again.

"Thousands of campaigners calling for the retention of Ireland's strict abortion laws have held a rally in Dublin.
The Stand Up for Life demonstration on Merrion Square near the Dáil took place with less than two weeks to go before a landmark referendum on the state's constitutional restriction on terminations.
Clerics, doctors and women who have experienced abortions addressed the event calling for a No vote."

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-join-stand-up-for-life-demonstration-through-dublin-842517.html
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

jovan66102

Read this! It shows the vicious evil we're up against.

UK Student Unions Offering Irish Students Vouchers to Fly Home to Vote for Abortion

https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/2018/05/uk-student-unions-offering-irish.html
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/