TAN Books and Garrigou-Lagrange

Started by Kaesekopf, March 26, 2018, 04:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Has TAN Books/St Benedict Press completely dropped their Garrigou-Lagrange texts?  I can't seem to find them on the website anymore. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

PerEvangelicaDicta

Not good. 
This is the auto response I received when I did a search for his name on the site:
"There are no products matching the selection."
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

Miriam_M

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 26, 2018, 04:12:30 PM
Has TAN Books/St Benedict Press completely dropped their Garrigou-Lagrange texts?  I can't seem to find them on the website anymore.

Are you looking for them in print?  If so, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that there are several online sources for G-L.  One is here:

https://thomistica.net/news/2016/1/6/a-trove-of-digitized-garrigou-lagrange-texts

Non Nobis

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Lynne

KK's point is that TAN Books seems to no longer be carrying G-L's books. Kind of strange for a Catholic publisher...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Miriam_M

Quote from: Lynne on March 27, 2018, 02:53:54 AM
KK's point is that TAN Books seems to no longer be carrying G-L's books. Kind of strange for a Catholic publisher...

Yes, I understood that.  I thought he was also lamenting the opportunity to buy them in print from that publisher.  And I agree that's surprising and disappointing. 

One of the resources within traditional apostolates should be the availability of small libraries attached to the locations of these apostolates (not just their seminaries and rectories but the parishes in which they operate).  It would be a corporal work of mercy to have traditional material available, especially for adult catechesis, even if much of children's catechesis is handled by homeschoolers.  Even just a reading room and reading opportunities before and after Mass -- if a borrowing system cannot be managed within the limitations of that apostolate -- would be an enormous benefit.

Michael Wilson

Unfortunately with the removal of Mr. Nelson and the selling of TAN to new owners, TAN has ceased being TAN a long time ago.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Larry

They still have a lot of good books, but I think once they sell out of their old stock the classic traditional books won't be reprinted. They've  become a slightly more conservative version of  Ignatius press.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Sophia3

Quote from: Miriam_M on March 27, 2018, 09:09:28 AM

Yes, I understood that.  I thought he was also lamenting the opportunity to buy them in print from that publisher.  And I agree that's surprising and disappointing. 

One of the resources within traditional apostolates should be the availability of small libraries attached to the locations of these apostolates (not just their seminaries and rectories but the parishes in which they operate).  It would be a corporal work of mercy to have traditional material available, especially for adult catechesis, even if much of children's catechesis is handled by homeschoolers.  Even just a reading room and reading opportunities before and after Mass -- if a borrowing system cannot be managed within the limitations of that apostolate -- would be an enormous benefit.

I love that idea!

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Miriam_M on March 27, 2018, 09:09:28 AM

I agree on this whole post.

Some chapels I've been to have libraries you can use, but it seems very few people take advantage of it, sometimes. 

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Michael Wilson on March 27, 2018, 04:46:47 PM
Unfortunately with the removal of Mr. Nelson and the selling of TAN to new owners, TAN has ceased being TAN a long time ago.

Absolutely. 

But, the new binding is nice.  The prices, not so much.  :lol:

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Larry on March 27, 2018, 05:14:58 PM
They still have a lot of good books, but I think once they sell out of their old stock the classic traditional books won't be reprinted. They've  become a slightly more conservative version of  Ignatius press.

Pretty much.  It's weird that something not too out there (Garrigou-Lagrange) is out of print and taken out of the catalogs.  Unless, maybe, there's a copyright issue SBP is facing with the (more orthodox, now) Dominicans?