WTB: Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata (Orberg)

Started by Kaesekopf, November 07, 2017, 12:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Hey all,
So, I'm in the market for the whole Lingua Latina Per Se Illustrata series/set by Orberg.  I'm trying to teach myself Latin, and am looking to avoid shelling out $100s+ for the whole shebang. 

Maybe you have a spare copy sitting around?  Maybe you have a homeschool friend who wants cash for their books?  Maybe you love your favorite forum owner?  Who knows.

If you have any leads/suggestions/ideas, lemme know.

(Also if anyone knows which books of that series/set I need or are best to have, lemme know.  I'm typically inclined to just buy the whole group, but maybe that's not most effective?)

(I'm looking at learning Latin for ecclesiastical - theological and liturgical - and it seems this is the best way to go as a beginner, per my asking and reading...)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

Can't help you with the actual books but this item on Amazon has an excellent first review with all sorts of details on other study aids...

https://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Illustrata-Pars-Familia/dp/1585104205
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

ÆneasQuébécois

You can often find them used on Amazon for pretty cheep. I would recommend getting both Partes I & II as well as the College Companion, which, sadly seems only available for Pars I. You are correct, they are a great way to learn Latin. Once you finish Pars I, I would strongly recommend getting your hands on any parallel texts you can find: Bibles, Missals etc, and trying to consume as much Latin as you can, while still progressing through Pars II, which can be a lot more difficult. I would also advise taking a slow pace through them. Better to read and understand a little than read and poorly understand a lot.   
"True evangelical faith...cannot lay dormant; but manifests itself in all righteousness and works of love; it...clothes the naked; feeds the hungry; consoles the afflicted; shelters the miserable; aids and consoles all the oppressed; returns good for evil; serves those that injure it; prays for those that persecute it." ~ Menno Simons

Jayne

Part One is available as a PDF: http://chaharrah.tv/chaharrah-depot/arthouse/latin-attachments/latin-book.pdf
or free download: https://archive.org/details/lingualatinaperseillustratafamiliaromana_201406

In your situation, I would get Part One: Familia Romana, the Companion to Familia Romana, and the exercise book.  Find out if this method works for you before committing to buying everything.  It is not successful for everyone.

It also helps if you have some friends to answer your Latin questions. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Kaesekopf

Ok!

If anyone has good advice on learning latin by mostly self study, let me know...  unless I've already asked that, in which case I'll find my old thread. 

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Southern Ascetic

A Primer of Ecclesiastical Latin is a good book you should pick up.

Once you get more advanced, in a few years time, I'd pick up the Bradley's Arnold Latin books.

I also think Mediatrix Press is reprinting some really good Latin books, you might want to ask Ryan Grant about it since he is a Latin expert.