Author Topic: What led you to Catholicism?  (Read 772 times)

Offline Quaremerepulisti

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: What led you to Catholicism?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:21 AM »
The divorce argument doesn't work.

Other Churches in union with Rome historically have been allowed to keep their practices of divorce and remarriage.

And at the Council of Trent, the Canon strangely reads the way it does: "If anyone says, that the Roman Church has erred by [teaching that second marriages are not allowed in the case of adultery] let him be anathema" instead of "If anyone says that second marriages are allowed in the case of adultery, let him be anathema" due to this.
The real purpose of traditionalist polemics is not to find truth, but to attempt to construct an epistemological fortress rendering one's worldview impervious to attack.

Offline An aspiring Thomist

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
And at the Council of Trent, the Canon strangely reads the way it does: "If anyone says, that the Roman Church has erred by [teaching that second marriages are not allowed in the case of adultery] let him be anathema" instead of "If anyone says that second marriages are allowed in the case of adultery, let him be anathema" due to this.

It seems like a distinction without a difference. So, would it be true then to say other Churches have not erred by teaching that second marriages are allowed in the case of adultery?

Offline Lumen Christi

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
I would point out that the Orthodox Church only allows divorce up to three times IF AND ONLY IF there is a morally legitimate reason to do so, while the Roman Catholic Church allows divorce - excuse me, annulments - up to infinite times, and let me tell you something - almost every single annulment is granted.

"Only"?

Let me give you an example (although I personally think that this is legitimate):
"I can without a doubt prove that the Council of Trent is wrong about the necessity of only receiving one form of the Eucharist - one must receive both forms.
Why do you think Christ ONLY about the BLOOD said "Drink of this, ALL OF YOU," and He didn't say this about the Body - because Christ knew that in 1000 years time some disobedient Latin priests would come around and forbid the laypeople from receiving the Blood."
We receive the Blood in the Host.

The Host is the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus, as is the Blood itself.

You don't receive "half" of Jesus under one species and "half" under the other.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo

Offline Vetus Ordo

• Hopeful Fatalist
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Old Christian
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 04:25:55 PM »
"I can without a doubt prove that the Council of Trent is wrong about the necessity of only receiving one form of the Eucharist - one must receive both forms.
Why do you think Christ ONLY about the BLOOD said "Drink of this, ALL OF YOU," and He didn't say this about the Body - because Christ knew that in 1000 years time some disobedient Latin priests would come around and forbid the laypeople from receiving the Blood."

The "all of you" is the clergy (Apostles) to whom Christ is directly speaking when instituting the sacrament. He's not speaking to you and me, since none of us (unless we're priests) is going to do what He asked His apostles and sucessors to do in remembrance of Him.

As we know, the celebrant must eat the sacred host and drink of the chalice. On the other hand, the laymen may or may not do it. It's a matter of convenience and tradition, entirely dependant upon Church discipline. 
"And this food is called among us Εὐχαριστία [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh." Justin Martyr, First Apology. Chap. LXVI. Of the Eucharist.

The following users thanked this post: Gardener, Lumen Christi