Secular psychology professor gets it on the value of Family

Started by Bonaventure, May 03, 2017, 01:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

Extremely informative, and the speaker, Jordan Peterson, became a darling of conservatives for refusing to use gender neutral pronouns.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

I hope he is wrong re the French election. I did Not watch, Just read backdrop caption.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bonaventure on May 03, 2017, 01:14:04 PM
Extremely informative, and the speaker, Jordan Peterson, became a darling of conservatives for refusing to use gender neutral pronouns.

He's not even /ourguy/, but he's sick of the leftism.

Odd bedfellows!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Graham

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Elizabeth

Archer

Thanks for posting, that was excellent. Definitely worth a watch.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Non Nobis

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 04, 2017, 10:25:51 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on May 03, 2017, 01:14:04 PM

He's not even /ourguy/, but he's sick of the leftism.

Odd bedfellows!

In case anyone isn't familiar with Jordan Peterson (or is even less familiar than I was a while ago), here is something that shows how he is not /ourguy/:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIh1xQiuI8[/yt]

He is definitely a conservative thinker and a good speaker, so we can appreciate that (and I will), but on the most important matters of all his thinking leads him far astray.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Graham

He's basically a modernist, and even for a modernist that's an embarrassing, wishy-washy answer. He wants to restrict God to ontology, Jesus to a helpful personification, and Scripture to psychology and symbolism, but that would make liars of the apostles. I wonder if anyone has ever put that to him straight-up.

Sempronius

He was being a little mysterious."Did Jesus' body resurrect?" *long pause* "...I dont know"

Graham

I've been listening to Dr. Peterson's podcast. Much of it is very interesting. He has trouble seeing God as a person. He has no trouble seeing God as infinity, or reality, or possibility itself, but any part of theology or scripture that seems to him too anthropomorphic or blatantly miraculous he interprets as mythology and therefore converts (often ingeniously) into philosophical or psychological terms. Which can be valid in itself, because scripture is open to multiple levels of meaning and I can't see why that shouldn't include a 'psychological' component, so long as it doesn't contradict or rule out the other levels. Here, if I'm honest, I have the impression that he's making some authentic contributions to scriptural study. But the refusal to 'allow' God personhood, or direct intervention in the world, is a last-ditch attempt to place conceptual limits on what Dr. Peterson himself defines as the unlimited. 

Elizabeth

**scared of the warning in red and guilty**

I agree with how Dr. Peterson describes the dynamics of how brutally hard-working and ever-vigilant, the powerful law-oriented professionals must be in order to survive. 
His natural talent for teaching was evident in his remarks about how rich we really are in light of History.

Gardener

Not sure if the quote is attributed correctly, but of itself it's correct:

However, whilst appearing as a condemnation of women, I think it's actually a sharper rebuke against men.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe