Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Catholic Liturgical Life / Re: St. Michael's Lent
« Last post by sedmohradsko on Today at 05:21:40 PM »
I know, right?!  Do you know if the St. Michael's Lent is common in the East?  I'm guessing not, since this one starts on the Feast of the Assumption.  From what I recall from going to that Byzantine Mass, they celebrate the Dormition feast for several days, I think.  Maybe even a week??

There are 4 fasting seasons in the Byzantine tradition:
Lent, which starts on the evening of Sunday prior to Ash Wednesday (which we do not observe)
The Apostles' Fast, which begins the evening of All Saints Sunday (Trinity Sunday in the West) until the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul
The Dormition Fast, from August 1st to August 15th
The Nativity Fast which, depending on the church, begins on November 15th or the evening of the feast of St. Nicholas.

We also fast on the Eve of Theophany (Epiphany), the beheading of John the Baptist, and the Feast of the Elevation of the Cross.

There are also 4 fast-free periods, where no fasting is permitted - even on Fridays:
The week after the Sunday of the Publican and Pharisse - the first Sunday of a 3-week pre-Lenten period
Bright Week - the week after Pascha (Easter)
The week after Pentecost
The two weeks of Christmas to the eve of Theophany

We have no comparative to Western Ember or Rogation Days.
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: The seal - book of revelation
« Last post by Joanwalsingham on Today at 05:16:43 PM »
Something about being marked on your head. like a type of judgement.
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: The seal - book of revelation
« Last post by St.Justin on Today at 05:13:19 PM »
There are seven "seals" in the Apocalypse. To which are you referring?
General Catholic Discussion / Re: our lady and "secrets"
« Last post by St.Justin on Today at 05:07:23 PM »
I recently read that our lady gave St Bernadette secrets that weren't to be released, why did she bother if they were only for St Bernadette who died young.. and we never find out.

I also don't understand why her apparition at knock was so coded, putting emphasis on the book of revelations - which to this day, the catholic church has no direct teaching or translation for.

Does the term "Private Revelation" mean anything?
Ask a Traditionalist / The seal - book of revelation
« Last post by Joanwalsingham on Today at 04:51:47 PM »
A nun told me in 2016 that the seal from the book of revelation had already "taken place".

This confused me as it's not in any catholic teachings for the past 2000 years, and we have always been taught that the "last judgement" is when we are actually judged and condemned.

Still praying for conversions, hope it's not "too late" for people as this nun implied - she did not say how she knew this/ or why she thought this, but she was adamant and wouldn't back down.
General Catholic Discussion / our lady and "secrets"
« Last post by Joanwalsingham on Today at 04:49:07 PM »
I recently read that our lady gave St Bernadette secrets that weren't to be released, why did she bother if they were only for St Bernadette who died young.. and we never find out.

I also don't understand why her apparition at knock was so coded, putting emphasis on the book of revelations - which to this day, the catholic church has no direct teaching or translation for.

Traditional Catholic Discussion / Re: Paul Touvier & The SSPX
« Last post by GloriaPatri on Today at 04:40:37 PM »
But doesn't 2 Peter 3:16 seem to imply that personal interpretation of scripture can lead to damnation? That verse has been traditionally interpreted as pointing to the institutional Church, in the form of the episcopate, as having the God-given authority to teach. But if the Church is not infallible, then it is just as liable to error as the individual.

I guess I sort of see where you're coming from Vetus, but as for myself I cannot believe in the Christian faith if its teaching authority is just as fallible as that of any other religion. I mean, how can I be assured that I'm not following a false faith? You might be able to just say that your interior conviction is enough for you, but that's never been enough for me.

What's the solution, then, if testimony follows an individual from Argentina, to Winona, to Pennsylvania (Society of St John), and then to Paraguay?  And what if that testimony comes from seminarians and priests, rather than troubled drop-outs?

Perhaps you aren't aware of the extent of the testimony against Carlos Urrutigoity.  The SSJ practice of 'sleeping with boys' has been admitted by members of the SSJ themselves and that's the least of it. 

http://www.christorchaos.com/?q=content/still-no-excuses-those-who-defend-society-saint-john

No human justice system can be perfect and the innocent will sometimes be falsely accused, and executed in many cases, which is why I don't support the use of death penality in practice.

But erring in the opposite direction, being reluctant to consider any accusation as credible even as the testimonies mount up, thereby depriving victims of justice and ensuring that new victims will be abused, can be just as harmful as wrongly accusing the innocent.

How do you explain the fact that a Trad priest and his followers was able to move almost at will from one Trad setting to another over a period of 20 years, leaving a trail of damning 'testimony' behind him? And practically nothing was done to stop him?

Monday morning quarterbacking is obviously not fair when evaluating a situation. 

I knew a priest who came off as pretty effeminate.  Turned out he had been a victim.  He did not turn out to be a victimizer but instead made a lot of complaints about behavior in the seminary.  He was kicked out of the seminary.  Eventually he was ordained and he makes it a mission of his to stop the abuse.  But he is open to plenty of potential accusations because he was 'removed" from the Seminary.  He's not manly in the traditional sense. He tries to help victims and encourages them to speak out.  A real scoundrel could spin all of his struggles, his good intentions and good work against him. 

Hypothetically, how do you distinguish things? Is the first accusation automatically to be believed? How about the second?  What if the second accusation is less credible than the first?  What if the 3rd accusation is by someone who has accused other priests? 

If you err on the side of believing the accusers, do you give the Devil a victory by removing a good and holy priest?  How many are going to follow with that line of action? 

RE: Moving priests in general.

Trad priests have been moving around in the SSPX for decades.  You were lucky to have the same priest for two years at any chapel.  The explanation was they didn't want the priests to get rooted into the community too much so they could function better as priests.  They weren't there long enough to play favorites or to get attached in the wrong way to any particular person in order to avoid sin and a scandal. 

I knew a woman who attended an SSPX chapel. She was fond of the priest and wanted to volunteer and help out, clean, cook meals etc.  The priest would periodically snap at her and be dismissive of her.  She was really upset by it.  Thinking he disliked her personally.  She told her mother who also attended and the mother laughed.  She said, "C'mon!  Think about it.  He's attracted to you. He acts like any little boy does to the girl he likes.  And he is doing it to preserve his priesthood."  She was flabbergasted.  She didn't even consider herself in any way a "magnet."  But she understood and played things more formally with him and everything was cool. He eventually moved on with no problem.  Moving around is not an inherently bad idea.

What's the solution?  I don't know for sure, and I'm glad I'm not shouldering that responsibility. 

I think the first step is to establish a new Inquisition and go after the homosexuals in the Church in the here and now. 

We've currently got a "don't ask, don't tell" policy at work.  That's the opposition of an Inquisition, which is a literal <"We ask, you tell." 

The secular world is so opposed to "conversion therapy" that means there must be something to it.  So, a new program or a widened program of it should be utilized within the Church. 

I would put purging the clergy even above restoring the TLM. 

Of course nothing will happen until even a halfway strong Pope comes on board. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10