Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Personhood is the bottom line.  If personhood is established abortion laws fall apart.  Personhood is not recognized if abortion is allowed because of rape, incest or the health of the mother.  Some prolife laws are self defeating.  "Never support any law that ends with, and then you can kill the baby".

Prolife Profiles - National Right To Life
http://prolifeprofiles.com/national-right-to-life

This video is particularly telling.

I would be careful for using NDEs as evidence for the would since apparently scientists can cause them experimentally by messing with the brain. I donít know much about, but still I donít think itís good evidence to use NDE.
At least they're no longer "living in sin."  Though I do give the side eye to the idea that they couldn't marry in a church for 7 years.
If they did not go to Confession previous to being married, then they received the sacrament in the state of Mortal sin, and committed a sacrilege. So they are probably still living in sin,  thanks to Pope Francis.
The Coffee Pot / Re: Good Morning!!
« Last post by Carleendiane on Today at 11:03:33 AM »
Good Morning! Ches, Mrs C, Martin, Dymphna,  :pray3: :pray3: :pray3: offering up for your well being and blessings on your struggles. And yes, Dymph, struggle bus always on loan for special outings. You should know that. We could have your hubby drive!
The Coffee Pot / Re: go to bed
« Last post by Chestertonian on Today at 10:06:13 AM »
I'm so sorry, Ches.  Wish I knew something more helpful to say than that. 

Would her psychiatrist be able to have any say in whether or not she gets moved to where she can't have her phone?   (Or is there another / different one in the hospital who is actually making the final call on her treatment / placement?)

He has attending privileges but doesn't normally work on the eating disorders team

So he'll be an adjunct to the regular treatment team she gets.  He said the eating disorders clinic isn't as strict and they can leave phones at the nurses station and have them during some of the breaks

Does father explain the mechanics of this, why at tines they can control weather but it's so rare?
God permits the demons to act when it accords with Divine Providence.

What blocks them?
God.  Read beginning of Job.

I think there is something more here. I don't think God is cooperating with demonic agents.
It's the opposite. God does not cooperate with the devil, but the devil cooperates with God. If God wills to chastise man, and the devil wills to disturb man, then God gives the devil the power to do as he wills, in order that man be chastised.
The Sacred Sciences / Re: Epistemology... or "how do you know it"?
« Last post by Daniel on Today at 08:54:14 AM »
Epistemology deals with how we arrive af the knowledge of the Truth, which Holy Writ teaches us we must do to be saved. The most important knowledge is the knowledge of God and of the soul, of Jesus Christ and of His Love for us. Whoever knows and loves Christ the Lord attains the most necessary knowledge and will save his soul.
I don't know much about epistemology, but it should also be noted that salvific knowledge (and love) must come through faith, not through evidence, reason, or opinion. And since faith is unattainable unless God chooses to give it, salvific knowledge really can't be attained in the same way that non-salvific knowledge is attained.
The Coffee Pot / Re: go to bed
« Last post by Lydia Purpuraria on Today at 08:45:04 AM »
I'm so sorry, Ches.  Wish I knew something more helpful to say than that. 

Would her psychiatrist be able to have any say in whether or not she gets moved to where she can't have her phone?   (Or is there another / different one in the hospital who is actually making the final call on her treatment / placement?)

The reference you are sarcastically looking for is the angels fallen from the Choir of Virtues/Powers, as they control seasons, etc.
http://www.saintaquinas.com/angels.html

Given that they did not lose their angelic nature (and with it, given powers) by falling from grace, it stands to reason they would retain such powers and as is within God's permissive will, could cause changes in weather via seasonal affectations. Whether or not God allows them to do so is within His purview. But they remain in potential to do anything within their power.

Even in good, no angel does something without it being God's will (actively or permissively), so the question title must assume that their causation is in secondary agency.
Have you not read the beginning of the book of Job, as James03 referenced? It clearly shows how God can permit something within the nature of even a fallen angel, such as Lucifer. God is accused of specially protecting Job, so God tells Lucifer to do whatever he wants but not to harm Job himself. Why, then, if a fallen angel had been given power over weather for good, and in falling, desired it for evil, would it be impossible that with God's permission he could do weather which is harmful to mankind? For even in such an evil as allowed by God's permissive will, much good would result -- though we might not understand how/why at this time. For example, in such a weather, reducing a man to weakness, the strength of God's grace might shine forth all the more. A man might fear freezing to death, and with grace have eternity before his eyes, and convert. A man might be prevented by the cold from stalking the streets. A woman prevented from selling her body. A child prevented from being run over because a drunkard's car won't start. The demons only see the suffering of the cold, and do not realize, or do not care, that their evil is in fact entirely under God's control.

[6] Now on a certain day when the sons of God came to stand before the Lord, Satan also was present among them. [7] And the Lord said to him: Whence comest thou? And he answered and said: I have gone round about the earth, and walked through it. [8] And the Lord said to him: Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a simple and upright man, and fearing God, and avoiding evil? [9] And Satan answering, said: Doth Job fear God in vain? [10] Hast not thou made a fence for him, and his house, and all his substance round about, blessed the works of his hands, and his possession hath increased on the earth?

[6] "The sons of God": The angels.-- Ibid. Satan also, etc. This passage represents to us in a figure, accommodated to the ways and understandings of men, 1. The restless endeavours of Satan against the servants of God; 2. That he can do nothing without God's permission; 3. That God doth not permit him to tempt them above their strength: but assists them by his divine grace in such manner, that the vain efforts of the enemy only serve to illustrate their virtue and increase their merit.

[11] But stretch forth thy hand a little, and touch all that he hath, and see if he blesseth thee not to thy face. [12] Then the Lord said to Satan: Behold, all that he hath is in thy hand: only put not forth thy hand upon his person. And Satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.
Job 1

But this consideration should not stop at the angels, for all good things must necessarily raise the heart and soul to God. And since Our Lady is above the angels, she becomes the nexus by which we are raised to ponder the Head of the Body of Christ.

And in pondering her, we are raised to think about the command of Christ to the weather to cease in the boat where the Apostles feared sinking. And so, if we are disposed to it, the demons have no power but to play into the hands of God and cannot escape His Providential decrees wherein despite a freely willed evil, good results in a way they cannot escape.

If one is childlike, they would not kick at the goads of this reality, but squeal with delight and clap like the children they should be. For in the fierce and brutal beauty of nature, and all of its mechanics (physical and spiritual) we even find cause of praising Our Lord despite the world being blind to such realities.

If I were a Mahometan, it is at this point I would shout "Takbir!" and you all would answer in a chorus of "Allahu Akbar!", no? ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10