Novenas

Started by LausTibiChriste, September 27, 2021, 12:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

I've always been a huge fan of novenas - I feel it gives structure and dedication to prayer (particularly petitions) instead of just praying haphazardly for 3 days and then complaining that God doesn't hear your prayers. They're obviously not 'good luck charms' or a way to 'manipulate' God, just a great way to dedicate and focus your prayer.

There's a lot of novenas out there and I constantly feel like I'm finding new ones I've never heard about, so I thought we could post our favourites here and hopefully, some will find it useful / find new novenas they never heard about.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a strict '9-day novena' as there are many that aren't strictly 9 days so any sort of prayer that fits the mould would work fine. And even any 'normal' 9-day novena you've found to be particularly powerful would be great too.

(Sorry in advance for any links to modernist sites)

Emergency 9 Hour Novena to the Infant Jesus of Prague
For when you don't have 9 days to wait for an answer.

54 Day Rosary Novena
Miraculous, and long. It's actually 6 novenas in one - 3 novenas of petition and 3 novenas of thanksgiving. Originated with Our Lady of Pompeii

Annunciation Novena
If you think the 54-day Rosary novena is long, think again. This novena lasts 9 months(!) - from the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25) until Christmas

Novena of Grace
in honour of St Francis Xavier. Usually prayed leading up to his feast day (March 4 - 12 or 3 -11 depending how you roll) as he was canonized 12 March, but can also be said Nov 24 - 2 Dec leading up to his feast day on 3 Dec

Holy Cloak Novena
30 Day Novena to St Joseph in honour of the 30 years he spent with Our Lord

St Andrew's Christmas Novena
Prayed from St Andrew's feast day (30 Nov) until Christmas.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

diaduit

We overlap in our favourites.

First two are outstanding, Holy cloak of St Joseph another great one and the last one.....well someday it will be answered, every Christmas the children and I do it for my husband to receive the sacraments.

St Dympna, very good for mental illnesses

And actually, I did the Sorrowful mysteries of Our Lady from a post that you made Laus and on both occasions, I had a terrible terrible event happen almost immediately after but later on I saw the spiritual benefits of those events and it cranked up my desire to perfect myself further.  Then I did a third one to rid myself of fear of saying a novena of Her sorrowful novena and I got peace. 

edit to add explanation.  In speaking to a priest one day, I told him how I said the sorrowful mysteries of Our Lady and bad things happened and I sort of joked, I won't say those prayers again for fear of what happened.  Well anyway I got a pang of regret when I was home, even though I didn't mean it maliciously I didn't feel right to associate negativity with Her beautiful sufferings and give into the fear so with baited breath, I did them again and as I said, I got peace.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: diaduit on September 27, 2021, 12:47:18 PM
We overlap in our favourites.

First two are outstanding, Holy cloak of St Joseph another great one and the last one.....well someday it will be answered, every Christmas the children and I do it for my husband to receive the sacraments.

St Dympna, very good for mental illnesses

And actually, I did the Sorrowful mysteries of Our Lady from a post that you made Laus and on both occasions, I had a terrible terrible event happen almost immediately after but later on I saw the spiritual benefits of those events and it cranked up my desire for to perfect myself further.  Then I did a third one to rid myself of fear of saying a novena of Her sorrowful novena and I got peace.

Awesome! Forgot to mention the one to Our Lady of Sorrows. She has a special place in my heart and that novena works like clockwork. Fr Ripperger has always said She'll answer you in ways you'd never expect and he has yet to be wrong about that

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

mikemac

Starts today.  Three Holy Masses and prayers invoking the intercession of St. Michael the Archangel, September 27, 28 and Feast Day September 29.

https://www.catholicaction.org/st_michael_day_1
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: mikemac on September 27, 2021, 01:07:20 PM
Starts today.  Three Holy Masses and prayers invoking the intercession of St. Michael the Archangel, September 27, 28 and Feast Day September 29.

Thanks Mike, never heard of this before.

- MaximGun

mikemac

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on September 27, 2021, 01:08:30 PM

Thanks Mike, never heard of this before.

Not really a novena, just what they put together last minute I guess.  They pray a lot for the full recovery of Cardinal Burke.
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

Source

mikemac

This is what I was looking for.  Just recently I mentioned this to my priest but had to go looking for it in my long list of browser bookmarks.  This was a good idea for a thread LausTibiChriste.  Now I'll just bookmark this thread in the forum, so I can easily find the appropriate novena for that particular time of year.

List of All Novenas

https://catholicnovenaapp.com/list-of-all-novenas/#

Source

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

LausTibiChriste

I literally told you about that one

- MaximGun

diaduit

My mothers anniversary, 3 years on Wed and she was a warrior.

Please pray for Maria.

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

mikemac

Quote from: diaduit on September 27, 2021, 02:13:32 PM

Please pray for Maria.

I still do.  I hope she still prays for me.

Source

diaduit

Quote from: mikemac on September 27, 2021, 02:18:06 PM

Please pray for Maria.

You knocked me for 6 with this post.  Thank you.

Christe Eleison

Please pray for Maria.

I hope that KK, sees the above post! ^^^ If there is a reason to PRESERVE this forum,
that is IT, right there!  :'( :pray3: :pray2:
Thank you, MikeMac, for such a KIND & CARING post! :thumbsup: May God Bless & reward you! :pray3:

Christe Eleison

Quote from: diaduit on September 27, 2021, 04:08:28 PM

Please pray for Maria.

You knocked me for 6 with this post.  Thank you.

Yep, I agree with you DIADUIT, very touching!
I will also say PRAY for your dear MAM! I promise!  :pray2: :pray3:
Prayers for Maria! :pray3:

God Bless you, DIADUIT!  :pray1:

:grouphug: :grouphug: