New website about christian modesty

Started by Jo Barbot, February 07, 2020, 06:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Barbot

Hello everybody!
I'm new on this forum, so I'll introduce myself:
I'm a French Catholic, from Brittany in France, and I've just created a web site on Christian modesty, with a history of the decadence of fashions, what Popes and saints have said about the new fashions of the twentieth century, what our enemies are claiming, answers to several objections, addresses where to find decent clothes, and advice and anecdotes... The address of the site is:  https://www.modestiecatholique.com
At the bottom of the home page you have a button to translate the content of the site. If you are interested in this subject, do not hesitate to go on the site and to contact me!
I wish a Holy day to all of you!

GBoldwater

I would suggest removing the translation feature, as it often creates bad translations. If you know English well, it is better to create an alternate English site parallel to what you have.
My posting in the non-Catholic sub-forum does not imply that I condone the decision to allow non-Catholics here. I consider non-Catholics here to be de facto "trolls" against the Catholic Faith that should be banned. I believe this is traditional Catholic moral procedure.

Lynne

Quote from: Jo Barbot on February 07, 2020, 06:06:55 AM
Hello everybody!
I'm a French Catholic, from Brittany in France, and I've just created a web site on Christian modesty, with a history of the decadence of fashions, what Popes and saints have said about the new fashions of the twentieth century, what our enemies are claiming, answers to several objections, addresses where to find decent clothes, and advice and anecdotes... The address of the site is:  https://www.modestiecatholique.com
At the bottom of the home page you have a button to translate the content of the site. If you are interested in this subject, do not hesitate to go on the site and to contact me!

Thank you, I'll check it out!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Fleur-de-Lys

Quote from: Jo Barbot on February 07, 2020, 06:06:55 AM
Hello everybody!

Soyez le bienvenu, M. Barbot! Et merci pour le lien. Votre site a l'air bien intéressant.

Gardener

The translation made me feel like I was having a stroke when reading it.

But I commend you on the effort.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Miriam_M

Quote from: GBoldwater on February 07, 2020, 06:47:23 AM
I would suggest removing the translation feature, as it often creates bad translations. If you know English well, it is better to create an alternate English site parallel to what you have.

I agree with this. I've checked translation options out in general, and they're often faulty or misleading.  Google Translate has been known to completely blow it at times. Don't know about the accuracy of translation on the particular site mentioned because there's so much text that I have not the time today to examine it.  Perhaps this one is an exception.

Jo Barbot

Hello, yes the translation probably has problems on the site. I will try to fix it by proposing a lighter version in English, but it will take a little time. My English is too weak to offer a full translation, but I will use the Deepl.com site, one of the best if not the best Unfortunately they don't offer plugins for wordpress which is my site editor. You can copy and paste passages to this site if you don't want to wait! Thanks also for the nice comments!