New trad newspaper

Started by martin88nyc, May 16, 2018, 03:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miriam_M

I agree that Catholic publications -- whether print or digital -- that are centered on scandal and rumor do not feed one's faith but lead to discouragement.  There's also a danger, as one of my trad associates says, of giving the opposing forces "more power than they already have."  Further, there are plenty of outlets that already do that.

Regarding original content, however, that's not something that I myself always look for-- at least, not from the editors/publishers themselves.  What I like when I access Rorate, for example, is to read a stimulating, well-written article that someone else has authored.  Rorate merely does me the favor of centralizing several articles in one place.  I notice that they seem slightly more balanced, in sum, toward the hopeful rather than the hopeless.  Or at least it seems that way to me, and that also attracts me to the site. 

So what I look for is well-chosen content, not "original" content.  In fact, I would only "look for that" if the publisher or editor is someone whose style of writing I am already familiar with and respect, and whose understanding of Tradition is quite obviously authentic, which is more than what I can say for many others out there.  That is, it would mean that the person has been educated and catechized in Tradition, and that also is rare.

I actually really appreciate sites with lots of solid links to traditional spirituality, traditional doctrine, writings of the saints, and so forth.  That's not original content, but I don't care.

bigbadtrad

Reporting bad news constantly sells better than reporting spiritual stuff. There is curiousity, which copywriters know is the secret sauce for clicks and controversy.

Want proof? Go to any trad site and compare how many comments there are on pure scandal over beautiful things. Few thank their charitable work to edify, but there is a cascade of comments for scandal where you can imagine people go first and are happy to comment.
"God has proved his love to us by laying down his life for our sakes; we too must be ready to lay down our lives for the sake of our brethren." 1 John 3:16

Greg

Never before in human history have so many people, with so little to say, said so much to so few.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Gardener

I would buy a subscription to James03 and Greg's publication. What would it be called? "Cowbell Prophets", "Sandwich-Board End Times"? What?

Would the 2nd to last page always feature a full page spread for easy, cut-out, impending doom DIY kits that says, "The End Is Near"?

Would the last page just be a Clip Art of a bunch of sticks that has the word "Burn" superimposed?

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Miriam_M

Quote from: bigbadtrad on May 18, 2018, 07:00:29 AM
Reporting bad news constantly sells better than reporting spiritual stuff.

I was echoing Reply #20.
;)

Look, I happen to be fascinated by the prospect that we're living in End Times, or the cusp of it, or a preview of it.  I read such threads -- here and elsewhere -- and contribute to them.  My posting history will surely demonstrate that.  "Reporting bad news," however, is not the same thing as the constant bickering and personal negativity one sees on certain sites.  Yes, such sites, and some of those threads, get a lot of traffic -- by the same 5-10 people, posting ad infinitum about how vile so-and-so is.

It's not constructive.  Discussing End Times, however, can be constructive if it leads us to examine our own lives.

TradGranny

Quote from: Miriam_M on May 18, 2018, 10:00:54 AM
Quote from: bigbadtrad on May 18, 2018, 07:00:29 AM
Reporting bad news constantly sells better than reporting spiritual stuff.

I was echoing Reply #20.
;)

Look, I happen to be fascinated by the prospect that we're living in End Times, or the cusp of it, or a preview of it.  I read such threads -- here and elsewhere -- and contribute to them.  My posting history will surely demonstrate that.  "Reporting bad news," however, is not the same thing as the constant bickering and personal negativity one sees on certain sites.  Yes, such sites, and some of those threads, get a lot of traffic -- by the same 5-10 people, posting ad infinitum about how vile so-and-so is.

It's not constructive.  Discussing End Times, however, can be constructive if it leads us to examine our own lives.

Well said!
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Greg

Quote from: Gardener on May 18, 2018, 09:18:18 AM
I would buy a subscription to James03 and Greg's publication. What would it be called? "Cowbell Prophets", "Sandwich-Board End Times"? What?

The Profits of Doom.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Elizabeth

Quote from: Miriam_M on May 18, 2018, 10:00:54 AM

...  Discussing End Times, however, can be constructive if it leads us to examine our own lives.
:beer:

martin88nyc

TOTAL SUBSCRIPTIONS TO DATE: 504 [Updated 5-29]
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Greg

So that is 7500 USD per year.  What other revenue sources are there?  What will adverts bring in?

Archer

Quote from: Greg on May 31, 2018, 04:21:19 PM
So that is 7500 USD per year.  What other revenue sources are there?  What will adverts bring in?

He'll already have to be picky so there can't be that many options for advertisements. Big box companies will stay away from something that could be considered "hate speech."
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Greg

So he needs 20 to 40 times that number of paying subscribers in order to make a sensible living from it.

martin88nyc

Quote from: Greg on May 31, 2018, 07:10:27 PM
So he needs 20 to 40 times that number of paying subscribers in order to make a sensible living from it.
Maybe he isn't doing it for the money.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Greg

Then why have a subscription at all?

He has to pay his bills like the rest of us.

Either he is living from investments, money or assets left to him, or he needs money to live.

I doubt he is doing it FOR the MONEY but the fact he is publicising passing the "500 paying subscribers" milestone suggests that he is not privately wealthy and the money is a necessary factor.

Archer

Quote from: martin88nyc on May 31, 2018, 10:41:45 PM
Quote from: Greg on May 31, 2018, 07:10:27 PM
Maybe he isn't doing it for the money.

Got to be able to keep the lights on.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney