Joining The Navy

Started by Blue Violet, March 16, 2018, 07:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mono no aware

I myself am white, which in this case, I suppose, is fortuitous.  I am a non-Hispanic white, born in the United States.  I have lived here my entire life and would rate myself as "well above average" in the categories of English literacy, grammar, spelling, syntax, and style.  Now, if there is a possibility of my being paid to teach English to Hong Kongese, without needing a college degree, then I am interested.  I am like "the Stoic and Epicurean philosophers" who came up against St. Paul in Athens: "I would like to hear more about this."

Mono no aware

One problem that I foresee, though, is that not having a college degree would place me in the lowest caste of Anglo tutors, and would thus mean that I could only get assignments to teaching the impolite, unruly, or disinterested among the population who wish to learn English from English speakers.  That would be a problem.  I would only be interested in teaching adults (or young adults) who are respectful and eager to learn.  But for the brief time that I was in college, I was there with the aim of majoring in French.  I was a Francophile and I thought it would be nice to be a French translator or, failing that, a French teacher.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't have an aversion to kids as much back then as I do now.

Gardener

Quote from: Blue Violet on March 18, 2018, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: Davis Blank - EG on March 18, 2018, 07:46:53 AM
China / Hong Kong always looking for English teachers.  Pay can be very high as long as you are picky about who you work for.  To work in a tutoring center, to be blunt, all you need to be is white and born in England or America.  If you want to work for a school rather than tutoring center then likely will need some form of educational degree or certification.

Well, I guess China and Hong Kong are out of the question.

Asians are highly racist.

What are you?
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Blue Violet

Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 18, 2018, 09:40:48 AM
One problem that I foresee, though, is that not having a college degree would place me in the lowest caste of Anglo tutors, and would thus mean that I could only get assignments to teaching the impolite, unruly, or disinterested among the population who wish to learn English from English speakers.  That would be a problem.  I would only be interested in teaching adults (or young adults) who are respectful and eager to learn.  But for the brief time that I was in college, I was there with the aim of majoring in French.  I was a Francophile and I thought it would be nice to be a French translator or, failing that, a French teacher.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't have an aversion to kids as much back then as I do now.

Ok, I see.  That would be unpleasant. 
"You will win many souls through your devotion to  the Sacred Heart and the Little Flower."

Our Lord Jesus Christ to Rhonda Wise

http://baptismofdesire.com/

Blue Violet

Quote from: Gardener on March 18, 2018, 11:46:45 AM
China / Hong Kong always looking for English teachers.  Pay can be very high as long as you are picky about who you work for.  To work in a tutoring center, to be blunt, all you need to be is white and born in England or America.  If you want to work for a school rather than tutoring center then likely will need some form of educational degree or certification.

Asians are highly racist.

What are you?

I'm black.  To be more specific, my mom is from Nigeria and my dad is from Ghana.  I was born in America.
"You will win many souls through your devotion to  the Sacred Heart and the Little Flower."

Daniel

One problem that I foresee, though, is that not having a college degree would place me in the lowest caste of Anglo tutors, and would thus mean that I could only get assignments to teaching the impolite, unruly, or disinterested among the population who wish to learn English from English speakers.
How bad could it be?

Mono no aware

Quote from: Daniel on March 18, 2018, 12:06:10 PM
One problem that I foresee, though, is that not having a college degree would place me in the lowest caste of Anglo tutors, and would thus mean that I could only get assignments to teaching the impolite, unruly, or disinterested among the population who wish to learn English from English speakers.
How bad could it be?

Well, I assume every population of students has its share of loudmouths, wise-asses, punks, and burnouts.  I would prefer not to teach such people; I don't want any paper airplanes flying behind my back when I write on the chalkboard, or any hooting, hollering, giggling, or cell phones burping autotuned C-pop when I'm trying to speak.  But as the lowest teacher on the college degree totem pole, it might fall to me to teach the rotten apples, and I would be stuck being the bookish Anglo authority figure in a Hong Kong tutoring center version of "Rock n' Roll High School."  In that case, I would prefer to just stay here in the states and wait for the end of the world.

Michael Wilson

I forgot to say that also a desire to grow in holiness and to love God in a more perfect way and to follow Our Lord Jesus Christ in following His precepts of poverty, chastity and obedience.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Jayne

Quote from: Blue Violet on March 18, 2018, 08:52:59 AM
To be honest,  I have no interest in teaching, but if I do go this route, I would like to go to France.  I've always wanted to go there.

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/bid/104788/Top-21-Tips-for-Finding-Jobs-Teaching-English-in-France
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 18, 2018, 09:28:41 AM
I myself am white, which in this case, I suppose, is fortuitous.  I am a non-Hispanic white, born in the United States.  I have lived here my entire life and would rate myself as "well above average" in the categories of English literacy, grammar, spelling, syntax, and style.  Now, if there is a possibility of my being paid to teach English to Hong Kongese, without needing a college degree, then I am interested.  I am like "the Stoic and Epicurean philosophers" who came up against St. Paul in Athens: "I would like to hear more about this."

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/bid/74176/no-degree-no-problem-the-6-best-countries-to-teach-english-without-a-college-degree

Mono no aware

Quote from: Jayne on March 18, 2018, 01:35:15 PM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on March 18, 2018, 09:28:41 AM

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/blog/bid/74176/no-degree-no-problem-the-6-best-countries-to-teach-english-without-a-college-degree

Gracias, Jayne.  Number four on the list is Argentina.  That's a country I've always wanted to visit.  I mean, Borges and Malbec and Spanish colonial architecture.  And the air quality has got to be better than Hong Kong.  Perhaps it's best not to mention Buenos Aires' most famous son, El Francisco, though.  But I wonder if culturally, Argentina might not be as good a fit for a teacher as someplace in Asia.  I remember AustrianOrthodoxCatholic once described Latin America (where he was residing at the time), and in his magnificent Faulknerean way of writing he called it "a land of complete heathenism, superstition of all kinds, heresy over-abundant, atheism, and, most terribly, the wildest and most bestially unspeakable hedonism beyond imagination."  Who knows, maybe he was a TEFL instructor. 

But number six on the list is Russia.  Russia!  I love Russia, historically.  I even like Putin.  And I thrive in cold weather and snow.  "The demand for teachers is so strong here that you can be hired to teach English in Russia without a college degree relatively easily."  I wonder if Greg or LausTibiChriste would have anything to say about the pros and cons of a decidedly unmacho American venturing to Russia to teach English.  I would prefer to teach Russians who are polite and read Tolstoy and attend Vespers at their Orthodox church.  I would want to avoid any thugs like Viggo Mortensen's crowd in that movie Eastern Promises.  It could be that an Asian country with a culture of propriety and manners might be the best bet.

Greg

Teach English in North Korea or Burma.

You will love it.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Jayne

While it is more difficult for blacks to teach in Asia, it is not impossible.  The challenges involved would be useful for a person who is seeking to develop fortitude and other virtues.  Here is an article of a teacher in South Korea describing her experiences (which are consistent with other things I've seen.)
https://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/09/south-korea/502142/

South Korea, btw, especially likes teachers from the US (and a few other countries) and has government programs to support English teachers.  It is one of the more lucrative places to teach.  Also, there is an SSPX chapel in Seoul, so you would have spiritual support available.

Even if this is not something you have thought of before, it could be something to do for a few years to pay off your loans.

LausTibiChriste

Dont go to Russia. English teachers are a dime a dozen there and english teachers are notorious for their crassness...just as bad as sailors (if not worse). Salaries are low there.

Find a way to teach in the Middle East. Great money and still a professional trade rather than a way gor a single horny guy to support himself while he bangs (insert nationality here) hookers.

Sorry for the bluntness but its true. English teaching appealed to me because Im the restless and adevnturous sort but I chose not too because of its culture
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Blue Violet

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 18, 2018, 11:56:53 PM
Dont go to Russia. English teachers are a dime a dozen there and english teachers are notorious for their crassness...just as bad as sailors (if not worse). Salaries are low there.

Find a way to teach in the Middle East. Great money and still a professional trade rather than a way gor a single horny guy to support himself while he bangs (insert nationality here) hookers.

Sorry for the bluntness but its true. English teaching appealed to me because Im the restless and adevnturous sort but I chose not too because of its culture

Which countries in the Middle East?