Salve!

Started by Vetus Ordo, October 17, 2017, 07:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Chestertonian on October 30, 2017, 07:34:25 PM
Quote from: mikemac on October 30, 2017, 03:10:05 PM
Just so you know, both Saint John of the Cross and Saint Teresa of Ávila had Jewish ancestors. There's a couple of saints you might want to ask to pray for you Chess.
Good to know!

Getting to study the whole theme of the New Christians or conversos in Spain gives us an interesting glimpse into the culture and the mentality that shaped the Ancien Régime for so many centuries in the Peninsula, especially during the Modern Era. It's a complex but fascinating situation.

Did you know that the New Christians were formally forbidden to travel to the Americas, for instance, and hence from colonizing the New World? Not that this wasn't contravened in some cases. There are a few examples of marrano communities in Mexico. The fear and suspicion of Jewish conversos was so ingrained in the Spanish mentality that not being able to prove one's purity of blood - in other words, being a New Christian or a descendant of one - could still constitute valid grounds to forbid a man from entering the Catholic priesthood up until the very end of the 19th Century.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jayne

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on October 30, 2017, 09:10:54 PM
Did you know that the New Christians were formally forbidden to travel to the Americas, for instance, and hence from colonizing the New World? Not that this wasn't contravened in some cases. There are a few examples of marrano communities in Mexico. The fear and suspicion of Jewish conversos was so ingrained in the Spanish mentality that not being able to prove one's purity of blood - in other words, being a New Christian or a descendant of one - could still constitute valid grounds to forbid a man from entering the Catholic priesthood up until the very end of the 19th Century.

From what I understand of the situation, this fear and suspicion was, at least somewhat, justified.  There really were large numbers of people pretending to be Catholic while retaining Jewish practices.  And this was passed on from generation to generation.

There was some speculation about what you meant by filling in the religion field in your profile as "Old Christian".  Given this historical background information, it seems to be a reference to your Portuguese Catholic heritage. 

I can't decide if you were being erudite or obscure.   ;D
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: Jayne on October 31, 2017, 06:34:29 AM
From what I understand of the situation, this fear and suspicion was, at least somewhat, justified.  There really were large numbers of people pretending to be Catholic while retaining Jewish practices.  And this was passed on from generation to generation.

Yes.

And, to be fair, that still seems to be somewhat the case with a few modern Jewish converts. When looking for material about St. John of the Cross the other day, I bumped into a blog written by a Hebrew Catholic called "A Catholic Jew Pontificates" (http://aronbengilad.blogspot.pt/). When reading his autobiographical description, I noticed how he stated that he became a Catholic without ceasing his Torah observance which, when taken at its face value, is a practice infallibly condemned by the Council of Florence.

In your experience, do you think this sort of confusion about the Law, or about one's Jewishness, is still a common phenomenon with Catholics from Jewish background?

Quote from: Jayne on October 31, 2017, 06:34:29 AMThere was some speculation about what you meant by filling in the religion field in your profile as "Old Christian". Given this historical background information, it seems to be a reference to your Portuguese Catholic heritage.

You're correct.

Quote from: Jayne on October 31, 2017, 06:34:29 AMI can't decide if you were being erudite or obscure.   ;D

Both.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Jayne

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on October 31, 2017, 09:52:56 AM
Quote from: Jayne on October 31, 2017, 06:34:29 AM

Yes.

And, to be fair, that still seems to be somewhat the case with a few modern Jewish converts. When looking for material about St. John of the Cross the other day, I bumped into a blog written by a Hebrew Catholic called "A Catholic Jew Pontificates" (http://aronbengilad.blogspot.pt/). When reading his autobiographical description, I noticed how he stated that he became a Catholic without ceasing his Torah observance which, when taken at its face value, is a practice infallibly condemned by the Council of Florence.

In your experience, do you think this sort of confusion about the Law, or about one's Jewishness, is still a common phenomenon with Catholics from Jewish background?

Almost everyone in the post-conciliar Church is confused about Judaism.  There is a common belief among Catholics that we are supposed to think that Jews are saved by being good Jews rather than by faith in Christ.  While the Association for Hebrew Catholics at least gets right that Jews need to convert, they promote the sort of Judaizing nonsense that you are describing.  The Protestant group, Jews for Jesus, does this too, and may be influencing the problem.

Another factor may be that there is some tendency for Christians to treat converts from Judaism as special or exotic.  This can tempt the converts to make a big deal out of their conversion to get praise and attention for it. 

Even expressions like "Hebrew Catholic" and "Catholic Jew" are problematic and encourage wrong thinking.  What one was before becoming Catholic should not be part of one's identity.  I am Catholic.  On rare occasions when it is relevant, I mention my background in another religion.

So, yes, I have the impression there is a lot of confused thinking among Catholic converts from Judaism.  I suspect, however, it is part of the general confusion in the Church these days, around Judaism and so many other things.  In my experience, I tend to find a correct understanding primarily among trads.

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on October 31, 2017, 09:52:56 AM
Quote from: Jayne on October 31, 2017, 06:34:29 AMThere was some speculation about what you meant by filling in the religion field in your profile as "Old Christian". Given this historical background information, it seems to be a reference to your Portuguese Catholic heritage.

You're correct.

Quote from: Jayne on October 31, 2017, 06:34:29 AMI can't decide if you were being erudite or obscure.   ;D

Both.

Some things don't change. :beer:
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Bernadette

Quote from: mikemac on October 30, 2017, 03:10:05 PM
Just so you know, both Saint John of the Cross and Saint Teresa of Ávila had Jewish ancestors.  There's a couple of saints you might want to ask to pray for you Chess.
Not to mention St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, who actually converted from Judaism and became a Carmelite (after reading St. Teresa of Avila's autobiography).
My Lord and my God.

RedCaves

Oh, wow, it's you.

I remember your interesting posts on FishEaters years ago during my lurking days.

Hope you're doing well.

Vetus Ordo

Quote from: RedCaves on November 01, 2017, 01:19:51 PM
Hope you're doing well.

I don't recall you by that nickname, to be honest, but I hope all is well too.

Thank you for your warm welcome. God bless.