Nativity of the Blessed Virgin: Meat or no meat?

Started by Bernadette, September 08, 2017, 09:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I have some Mexican leftovers in the fridge, and I'd really love to be able to eat them.  :P
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

According to the Traditio Calendar ( http://www.traditio.com/cal.htm ), today is just a regular day of abstinence...  :(
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

It's a Feast, not Solemnity, so it has the same character as a 2nd Class Feast Day = Friday abstinence applies in 1983 code. However, also within 1983, you can substitute abstinence for another penance. But in general, yes, it's still a day of abstinence.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/calendar/day.cfm?date=2017-09-08
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranking_of_liturgical_days_in_the_Roman_Rite
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

kayla_veronica

May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

MundaCorMeum

sounds like you have a birthday gift to offer to Our Lady ;)

Carleendiane

I'm better off just abstaining every Friday. I love imposed penance. I am much better at compliance than self inflicted penance.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Carleendiane on September 08, 2017, 12:28:32 PM
I'm better off just abstaining every Friday. I love imposed penance. I am much better at compliance than self inflicted penance.

according to St. Francis de Sales, that is actually better, because it takes your own will/preferences out of the equation. 

OCLittleFlower

Yup, unless Christmas or something like that falls on a Friday.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Kephapaulos

Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 08, 2017, 02:54:49 PM

according to St. Francis de Sales, that is actually better, because it takes your own will/preferences out of the equation.

Thank you for saying that MCM. I should read more of St. Francis de Sales writing. What you mentioned from him makes perfect sense.

I didn't realize that Friday and the Nativity of Our Lady ended up coinciding until I saw this thread, but we still ate no meat yesterday. I guess you could say I ended up celebrating the feast with having seconds and some extra crinkle cut fries later. :D :P

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kephapaulos on September 09, 2017, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: MundaCorMeum on September 08, 2017, 02:54:49 PM

Thank you for saying that MCM. I should read more of St. Francis de Sales writing. What you mentioned from him makes perfect sense.

I didn't realize that Friday and the Nativity of Our Lady ended up coinciding until I saw this thread, but we still ate no meat yesterday. I guess you could say I ended up celebrating the feast with having seconds and some extra crinkle cut fries later. :D :P

You're very welcome  :). St. Francis is amazing.  One of my favorite spiritual writers.  If you've never read his works, Introduction to the the Devout Life is a great starting place.

Gardener

St. Francis de Sales is absolutely necessary reading for most laymen. Especially the scrupulous!
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe