Help me choose my new computer, please!

Started by Jacob, May 13, 2017, 09:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

No one needs an Apple.  If you can learn how to take care of a car you can do so with a computer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

james03

One overlooked item is memory bus speed.  Spend your money there.  Memory speed is the bottleneck nowadays, not CPU.

I also like getting an extra hard drive onboard for backups.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Southern Ascetic

Been working in IT 14 years here. Memory bus speed is important if you have production servers or do a lot of encoding or gaming. Besides that, it's not that important, the DDR3 vs DDR4 for basic tasks like office, browsing the web, listening to music you won't notice a difference.

The single biggest performance notice you'll see is with an SSD vs a tradition spindle HDD.

Get an SSD.

Gardener

Quote from: Ascetik on May 26, 2017, 08:45:41 AM
Been working in IT 14 years here. Memory bus speed is important if you have production servers or do a lot of encoding or gaming. Besides that, it's not that important, the DDR3 vs DDR4 for basic tasks like office, browsing the web, listening to music you won't notice a difference.

The single biggest performance notice you'll see is with an SSD vs a tradition spindle HDD.

Get an SSD.

First time I restarted with an SSD, I restarted 2x because I didn't think it was possible to restart so quickly and thought it had just logged off my account. Love, love, love SSD.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

james03

QuoteThe single biggest performance notice you'll see is with an SSD vs a tradition spindle HDD.

Get an SSD.

Absolutely correct, sorry for the misinformation.  A point and then a question:

1.  GIVEN you have an SSD, if your choice is more cores in your processor or higher speed memory,  you spend your money (you are budget limited) on memory amount and memory speed.  When I built my laptop, I went with an I-5 vs. an I-7, and spent the bucks on memory.  I probably went overboard on amount and rarely see 50% memory usage.

2.  Question: When I built my laptop, I went with an SSD and a standard HD.  I put my system on the SSD, and my home directory on the HD.  At the time SSDs would burn out, and HD's were more reliable. (I also back-up to a file server).  So I have fast boot and reliability of data.  That was years ago, so how do you rank reliability comparatively today?

One more point, spend some bucks on the graphics card if you are building a desktop.  There too you have to balance GPU(s) vs. memory if you are budget constrained.

Thanks.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Jacob

I went with buying from LAC.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 10GR
Core i3 (6th Gen) 6100
3.7 GHz dual core CPU
16 GB of DDR4-2133 RAM
500 GB 7200 rpm SATA-600 HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Thank you all for your comments.  It should be here via UPS tomorrow! Feel free to tell me if I erred horrifically. ;)

Those of you who championed Apple, sorry, it will never happen.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Scowler

Quote from: Miriam_M on May 14, 2017, 11:32:57 AM
The simplest of machines for any user, the Mac.
My first computer was a TI99-4A... (stop grinning :) ) My first real computer was a MAC with 128k memory, no hard drives... When I switched from mainframe to PC computing, I was forced to use some IBM clone running DOS 3.1. About 7 years ago I retired from work, and I think I have a very solid foundation for the following little joke, which I fashioned a few ages ago:

MAC - Most Advanced Computer
IBM - Incredibly Barbaric Machine.

The only problem was that most games were never propagated unto the MAC platform. Too bad, so sad.