Obese woman chastises breastaurant for "discrimination"

Started by Bonaventure, April 27, 2017, 12:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

Quote from: Chestertonian on May 01, 2017, 12:46:32 PM
I have never been to Walmart but we used to go to Costco and we'd get really ppissed off when perfectly able bodied but overweight people would hog all the scooters.

How do you know they were able bodied? Do you think you are the only disabled person on the planet?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

I don't have much sympathy for super obese people who take the scooters because they can't stop stuffing their faces and living like human beings. They do have control over that.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

Quote from: Maximilian on May 01, 2017, 08:28:27 PM
Quote from: Bonaventure on May 01, 2017, 03:40:48 PM
Max, I've been reading a great series of articles about my alma mater, and you'd enjoy it.

http://www.socialmatter.net/2017/03/30/the-real-history-of-the-san-francisco-state-university-student-strikes-from-1968-1969-part-1/

Very interesting reading.

Reminds me a lot of "Mau-Mauing the Flak-Catchers."

https://entitledtoanopinion.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/mau-mauing-the-flak-catchers-online/

Will read. What you were talking about later was exactly what the Leftists did back in 1968. They had their Guinea pig for all the SJW type nonsense we see on campuses today. It was a prestigious college, but important enough in size and location to test the waters.

If you read all 4 parts, it becomes ridiculous.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Jayne

Quote from: Bonaventure on May 01, 2017, 08:07:25 PM
I don't have much sympathy for super obese people who take the scooters because they can't stop stuffing their faces and living like human beings. They do have control over that.

Weight loss is way more complicated than you seem to think. You belong to the only demographic group (young men) that loses weight easily. Only a tiny proportion of people succeed in losing and keeping off weight in spite of the societal pressure to do so.

You are probably going to be obese again some day and won't find it so easy to fix next time. Then you might  stop making ignorant comments like this.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Bonaventure

Quote from: Jayne on May 02, 2017, 07:06:03 AM

Weight loss is way more complicated than you seem to think. You belong to the only demographic group (young men) that loses weight easily. Only a tiny proportion of people succeed in losing and keeping off weight in spite of the societal pressure to do so.

You are probably going to be obese again some day and won't find it so easy to fix next time. Then you might  stop making ignorant comments like this.

My father died at age 38 because of obesity. "Ignorant comments" and not coddling get people to change their act and save their lives.

Jayne

People cannot be shamed and nagged into losing weight. That only makes it worse. Your comments are not helping anyone avoid death from obesity complications. You are spreading ignorance that, if anything, makes it more likely that people will die.

Do some reasearch. I recommend books by Gary Taubes.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Bonaventure on May 02, 2017, 08:43:22 AM
Quote from: Jayne on May 02, 2017, 07:06:03 AM

My father died at age 38 because of obesity. "Ignorant comments" and not coddling get people to change their act and save their lives.
like a lot of things, im sure that temperament plays a role
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

MilesChristi

There's a line between overweight and obese. It is easy to slip into overweight if you stop taking care of yourself for a while, but crossing the line into obesity or morbid obesity means there is something wrong.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Carleendiane

Just a thought about obesity. The only difference between being overweight and being obese quite often is just a couple years. It's so easy to keep packing it on when you've crossed the line from just a couple extra pounds to fat. From fat to obese. Unfortunately, this issue is humiliating and it's easy to go from helpful to hurtful. You Bon, have every reason to feel a sense of urgency about this issue, having lost loved ones to obesity, one of the easiest/hardest health issues to resolve. Easy,  as in less calories= weightloss. Hard as in general unhappiness, depression, etc=more calories. The will is weak when the mind is depressed or unhappy. When one is receiving the kind of encouragement and cheerful support he needs it still may not be enough, but it certainly helps.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Chestertonian

Quote from: MilesChristi on May 02, 2017, 08:54:35 AM
There's a line between overweight and obese. It is easy to slip into overweight if you stop taking care of yourself for a while, but crossing the line into obesity or morbid obesity means there is something wrong.

fat people know they're fat though

I used o get comments on being dangerously underweight and unwanted nutrition advice from random coworkers so I sympathize.  I found it irritating unhelpful. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Jayne

I don't know of any temperament that responds well to nagging and shaming. It is absud to imagine that this is helpful to anyone. 

There is conclusive evidence that calories in/ calories out models are inadequate for dealing with most weight issues. Calories are  one factor among many. It is harmful to spread misinformation on this.

Bonaventure

Where did I ever promote calories in calories out as most important concept, or say that calories matter above all else.

If a person is eating healthy, minimally processed foods, lean proteins, lots of fiber, and doing minimal exercise like walking 1 hour or even half an hour a day, I don't think it is possible to be morbidly obese.

Again, not talking about being overweight or having a models body.

When someone gets into the 300 or 400 lb range, they are eating terrible foods, thousands of calories a day, and living a totally sedentary lifestyle.

I know just as well the effect psychological distress plays not only for weight control, but everything. Depression, anxiety, drug addiction, and alcoholism run rampant in my family.

There absolutely is a time and place for kindness and ecournagment, especially when one is making an effort. For those who do not, such as one eating themselves to death or these healthy at any size advocates, they need to hear tough truth until they embark on the road to changing their lives.

Playing nice doesn't get the alcoholic to drop his bottle, the addict to drop his pipe, or an obese man to stop stuffing his face.

Chestertonian

It all comes down to fraternal correction
It canandshouldbe be done charitably.  And by a person in the correct position not just any old schmoe

Do people actually believe you can be healthy at any size.  All things being equal is better to be carrying a few extra pounds than underweight.. Your bones have no  padding without it, it's superpainful

Carleendiane

Bon, from the beginning of this conversation, I have always understood your campaign is not for Victoria secret bodies, just a campaign for health. And yes, I oversimplified  the calories issue. And I agree a person eating relatively healthy and getting exercise will never be morbidly obese. Encouragement is most effective when someone is taking steps to correct a deadly lifestyle. Without a single word spoken a person is in a harsh environment socially, despite the idiot philosophy of health at any weight. They will find support groups for their insanity, true. Everyone being wired differently reacts to various kinds of negativity about their appearance. I do not believe, not saying you do Jayne, that there is never a harsh word to be said. The drug addict, alcoholic, morbidly obese has to be forced to see what they are doing to themselves and others. That's called intervention. If the situation is that acute, it requires a firm, negative response.

I know, in my case, whatever my issue is, I can take the ugly truths spoken by someone I know has my best interests at heart. Their seemingly cruel words carry truths I need to hear. If I know they love me, despite whatever my problem is, I'll get over it and actually want to please the one that disparaged my bad habits. Plus, I see it as a must do. For husband, family, as well as myself.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.