Author Topic: Learning about the Church Fathers?  (Read 129 times)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Learning about the Church Fathers?
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:17:05 PM »
If I want to learn more about the Early Church Fathers and about the 'patristics' in general, do you have any good resources? 

Preferably not something encyclopedia-like, but something that can be read and is pretty digestible.

Thanks!
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
Re: Learning about the Church Fathers?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:27:14 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/When-Church-Was-Young-Fathers/dp/1616367776/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1492766611&sr=8-2

This might be too light but at least it will give a sense of who they were. I have the audible version but I haven't listened to it yet.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich