Author Topic: "Ehret die Frauen" Medieval womanly virtue in cross-stitch. ;)  (Read 155 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
It was a toss-up whether to post this here or in the Arts and Crafts sub; here won out because of a greater level of traffic.

I found this cross stitch pattern among my many, many cross-stitch patterns, and thought it would be fitting to share. From the website (www.scarletquince.com)

Counted Cross Stitch Pattern
A medieval-style tapestry inspired by and illustrating a verse by Schiller praising the feminine virtues. The Gothic lettering at the top says
Ehret die frauen sie flechten und weben
himmlische rosen ins irdische leben

Honor to the women, they braid and weave
heavenly roses into earthly life.
From left to right, the figures represent Protection (Schutz) - a woman in armor; Nurture (Pflege) - a mother giving a bowl of milk to a wild little boy wearing only a skin; Love (Liebe) - a mother nestling a baby in her arms; Wisdom (Wissen) - a woman holding a lantern and a hornbook up to a child in a hooded cloak; and Fidelity (Treue) - a woman in chain mail. The background is rose vines and other flowers on blue with a border of laurel leaves. (1912)

I have the WIP somewhere, unless I chucked it in a fit of decluttering mania. St. Anthony must have his hands full, these days.  :-\

This makes me want to pray the Litany of the Blessed Virgin, every time I see it. :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:19:33 AM by Bernadette »
St. Therese, pray for me. You who knew such dryness and spiritual anguish, take pity on me.

The following users thanked this post: Carleendiane

Offline Heinrich

• Der hat einen Rosenkranz und steht jetzt als Arbeiter bei
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • "Hebst du doch, Geck?" Schlank und eisig.
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: "Ehret die Frauen" Medieval womanly virtue in cross-stitch. ;)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 12:42:43 PM »
The German subjunctive has always been intriguing to me. Know also that this line is from the poem "Wuerde der Frauen", which contains the genitive plural. Thought your sesquipedalian and linguaphilic appetites would too be intrigued. 

ETA: the poet is Friedrich von Schiller. Whom I believe to be a Catholic, although he is a titan in the Sturm und Drang movement of German Romanticism.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:44:33 PM by Heinrich »
Pray for the Consecration.                           
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Bear in mind that the more the enemy assaults you, God is closer to your soul." --St. Padre Pio

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: "Ehret die Frauen" Medieval womanly virtue in cross-stitch. ;)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
ETA: the poet is Friedrich von Schiller. Whom I believe to be a Catholic, although he is a titan in the Sturm und Drang movement of German Romanticism.

Anybody else seeing what I'm seeing? (Clever, clever J.K. Rowling.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:18:20 AM by Bernadette »
St. Therese, pray for me. You who knew such dryness and spiritual anguish, take pity on me.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden