Author Topic: what's there to celebrate  (Read 2099 times)

Offline PerEvangelicaDicta

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: what's there to celebrate
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
This development certainly can't be coincidental.  Many thanks to Chris and Lynne for running it to ground.

From their website http://www.sspxridgefield.com/contact/
Contact Information

Snail Mail: 209 Tackora Trail
Ridgefield, Connecticut, 06877
Phone: (203) 431-0201
Fax: (203) 431-0202

E-mail: Please use the provided form.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, christulsa

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »
This development certainly can't be coincidental.  Many thanks to Chris and Lynne for running it to ground.

Contact Information

Ches, you could fax the Fathers in CT, asking for the priest who comes to Brooklyn (where you live!) to visit you. 

There's a way to send free faxes using the internet.  I use this one from time to time: https://faxzero.com/   I copy and paste a message or document into the box where it says "type text to appear."  Click send, then it first goes to your email where you finalize sending it.  When it goes through successfully, you get a confirmation email. 

Just one idea.   :cheeseheadbeer:

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2017, 12:40:35 PM »

Contact Information

Ches, you could fax the Fathers in CT, asking for the priest who comes to Brooklyn (where you live!) to visit you. 

There's a way to send free faxes using the internet.  I use this one from time to time: https://faxzero.com/   I copy and paste a message or document into the box where it says "type text to appear."  Click send, then it first goes to your email where you finalize sending it.  When it goes through successfully, you get a confirmation email. 

Just one idea.   :cheeseheadbeer:
they've visited

I don't have difficulty getting priests I have difficulty getting regular visits.  It doesn't help that we cancel a lot.  He goes to Manhattan
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2017, 12:58:54 PM »
I love our SD family.  So many with their own sufferings and burdens, yet ready to help their brothers(Ches, you're a star in that regard).  It's very moving.
They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, maryslittlegarden

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2017, 01:35:09 PM »
Ches, this book recommendation (from KK, links from Bernadette) is from another thread.  As I was reading, I found it pertinent to your thoughts here.  (esp chapter XI)

The Consoling Thoughts of St. Francis de Sales
Audio:
http://ia800709.us.archive.org/34/items/consolingthoughts_dv_librivox/consolingthoughts_02_huguet.mp3

electronic reproduction:
https://archive.org/stream/TheConsolingThoughtsOfStFrancisDeSales#page/n131/mode/2up

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2017, 11:33:58 PM »
Ches, I'm putting you on the spot friend.  On a scale from 0-10,

1. How much do you really want to overcome your dark thoughts and have a good spiritual life?

2. How much do you want a priest to visit you, and help you with the sacraments and spiritual direction?

3. How willing are you to arrange a good, tradition-minded priest to visit you on a regular basis?

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2017, 12:46:00 AM »

1. How much do you really want to overcome your dark thoughts and have a good spiritual life?

2. How much do you want a priest to visit you, and help you with the sacraments and spiritual direction?

3. How willing are you to arrange a good, tradition-minded priest to visit you on a regular basis?
10 i guess for the first...  last 2, i guess less so...  mostly because the thought of saying everything to the priest makes me anxious especially f he is going to see me again
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, christulsa

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:54 AM »

10 i guess for the first...  last 2, i guess less so...  mostly because the thought of saying everything to the priest makes me anxious especially f he is going to see me again

You don't have to say everything to him. You can bookmark the threads on the forum, and have him read them at his leisure so that he's prepared to talk to you when he comes. Not everything has to come out of your own mouth, like in confession, you know.
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act III Scene ii

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Religion: Kung Fu
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
Do you think he cares?

With all the weirdos in Tradom, I doubt anything you could tell a priest would shock him or even stick in his memory.

The following users thanked this post: Bonaventure, Jacafamala, Josephine87

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »

If #1 is really a priority, then finding a regular priest to visit would be too.  Do you need some help from SDers helping to arrange this, or can you set it up on your own?  Since the visiting SSPX priest is nearby on Sundays, I think that's the way to go.  Someone posted their priory's fax #, and you can use the faxzero website I listed.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, Bernadette

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
Listen to Chris, Ches. It's like being physically ill: if the illness is bad enough, sooner or later, you're going to have to go to the doctor in order to get 100% better. And you're going to need follow-up visits, and to keep taking your medication until it's gone, etc. etc. I could go on, of course, but I hardly think it's necessary.  :P
"Though she be but little, she is fierce." A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act III Scene ii

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »

If #1 is really a priority, then finding a regular priest to visit would be too.  Do you need some help from SDers helping to arrange this, or can you set it up on your own?  Since the visiting SSPX priest is nearby on Sundays, I think that's the way to go.  Someone posted their priory's fax #, and you can use the faxzero website I listed.

i just sent them an email.

my wife has been going to an eastern rite divine liturgy and they have a priest too who is supposed to hear my confession this weekend

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, Miriam_M

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:45 PM »
i just sent them an email.

my wife has been going to an eastern rite divine liturgy and they have a priest too who is supposed to hear my confession this weekend

Ches, hearing your confession is like a drop in the bucket. You need to address the whole picture, otherwise you're never going to be able to get past this. You need someone dedicated to helping your soul get through all of this crap that it's going through.  :pray3: :pray3:

Check your inbox lately? I sent you a PM about a bear (not the one from the poem quoted above). :) Might be something to look into, either for you or for your kids, maybe a family thing. ;) I'd be happy to scan the "teacher's manual" and email you a copy, or send you the original, whichever you prefer. I'd send you the audio too, but I don't know how. Good news is that it's all available on Ebay.

Offline Chestertonian

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
just got a reply back from an sspx priest that i had been talkingback and forthwith a year ago..... but not about this subject had his email so sent him a long, novel length email at 3am and got a shorter but carefully worded and thoughtful response back....  a lot to process in it.

and a lot of wht he said was not that different from what other people said.....but I can't just say "oh he went to a novus ordo seminary this may be the bad formation talking" or "he's just some guy on the internet."  And there were other consoling things that I had never heard from a priest before because I didnt give enough info.  in a lot of ways I think he has unraveled the one big ugly knot where I keep getting stuck about how I stand before God...   about things that have happened in my life and the gnawing guilt.  on the church's end and god's end it seems clearer where I stand with God and the church--reality.  my mind and my emotions don't match up with reality. 

he told me to take everything he said to heart with a "spirit of docility" though.  which includes being told to receive Holy Communion despite everything I wrote to him.  That is going to be hard since...well...  it still feels wrong.  but I guess when yourmind doesn't understand reality you have to lean on a priests assessment of reality.  so i  think I might actually receive if he brings it in a way I can receive... 

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
« Reply #104 on: April 21, 2017, 05:10:10 PM »
just got a reply back from an sspx priest that i had been talkingback and forthwith a year ago..... but not about this subject had his email so sent him a long, novel length email at 3am and got a shorter but carefully worded and thoughtful response back....  a lot to process in it.

and a lot of wht he said was not that different from what other people said.....but I can't just say "oh he went to a novus ordo seminary this may be the bad formation talking" or "he's just some guy on the internet."  And there were other consoling things that I had never heard from a priest before because I didnt give enough info.  in a lot of ways I think he has unraveled the one big ugly knot where I keep getting stuck about how I stand before God...   about things that have happened in my life and the gnawing guilt.  on the church's end and god's end it seems clearer where I stand with God and the church--reality.  my mind and my emotions don't match up with reality. 

he told me to take everything he said to heart with a "spirit of docility" though.  which includes being told to receive Holy Communion despite everything I wrote to him.  That is going to be hard since...well...  it still feels wrong.  but I guess when yourmind doesn't understand reality you have to lean on a priests assessment of reality.  so i  think I might actually receive if he brings it in a way I can receive...

Thanks for all this Ches.  What the priest said rings true, in my own life.   There have been times when after I gave into spiritual discouragement, I realized that my assessment of God and myself was irrational, not based in objective reality.  I'm still learning that sometimes, when I'm depressed or anxious.  In that state of mind, I have to remind myself that I can't trust my conclusions.

I use to go to the Byzantine rite, and really liked the way they do confession.  The priest will hold his wide stole up near your heads as a kind of privacy, and during the absolution he places the stole on your forehead.  If the Eastern rite priest knows you do tube feeding, maybe they have a way of bringing the Precious Blood, or you can still receive a tiny particle under your tongue, right?

You know, there are a lot of people here, who have never met you in the flesh, who are your internet friends, and care about you.  We don't want to see you in a dark spiritual place.  Praying for you and encouraging you is also maybe our own way of sorting out our own crosses and weaknesses.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, maryslittlegarden, Bernadette, Carleendiane, PerEvangelicaDicta