what's there to celebrate

Started by Chestertonian, April 12, 2017, 06:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: Miriam_M on April 18, 2017, 11:36:18 AM
Quote from: JubilateDeo on April 17, 2017, 11:24:12 PM
Canon Talarico once told me, that when he came to the Archdiocese of Newark, he had to choose a place where he could go to confession.  And you know what his choice was?  The CFR's.  You probably want to stay away from Fr. Stan Fortuna, but they were good enough for Canon.

I, also, don't know anything about the Archdiocese of Newark, NJ, but I can relate to the fact that anyone serious about personal spiritual growth (such as obviously a traditionalist priest) would and should be very particular about the quality of his Confessor.  I also expect that as a layperson.  And that does often entail searching.

is canon talarico the french one

I am not super familiar with the Canons but do find it a bit surprising that one would choose the CFR's for his confessions.  most trads I have talked to seem to speak with them, along with Fr.  Groeschel, with derision...and fr Groeschel went nuts at the end of his life, he certainly wasnt someone most trads looked up to.  I did not always have an "everything novus ordo is evil" mindset but once i had one it was hard to call on the cfr's...  or even the Dominican blackfriars

I do have to say there is something authentic about them,even if they do not do everything right according to trad standards...  they exude a true love of God and neighbor.  first encounter with eucharistic adoration was actually at a Fr Stan fortuna concert

My wife and I went to a Youth 2000 retreat and it was there that we both had an intense religious experience in which I knew I wanted to be baptized as a Catholic and she knew she wanted to return to the church.  The music was tacky, the liturgy was quasi charismatic....it was in a gym.  but we spent hours in eucharistic adoration

aesthetically, it wasn't going to end up on new liturgical movement any time soon.  liturgically, it was an inferior mass to the TLM, but as far as preaching went, their words did speak to me and have always had a lot of respect for them.  but at the same time, I hesitate to put my soul in their hands, or the hands of the Dominicans...because Novus Ordo.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bernadette

I've known NO priests whom I would trust with my soul.  :shrug:
My Lord and my God.

christulsa

Ches, how far a drive is it from the nearest SSPX priest to you?  And can one of them commit to visiting you on a regular basis?  That or FSSP or Institute?

Chestertonian

Quote from: christulsa on April 18, 2017, 10:08:30 PM
Ches, how far a drive is it from the nearest SSPX priest to you?  And can one of them commit to visiting you on a regular basis?  That or FSSP or Institute?
it's a haul for either.  Sspx comes from CT
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

christulsa

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 18, 2017, 10:15:47 PM

Well darn.   :)   

Non Nobis

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 17, 2017, 08:34:17 PM
wasn't she a novus ordo saint though.  st maria gorretti and most of the traditional "purity martyrs" all died.  which leads me to believe that I was supposed to die, and now my whole life since has been an abomination to god,

St. Maria Goretti is praised for her HEROIC virtue.  God desires that of us BUT does not damn us if we can't reach it; and doesn't expect it in any sense at all when it is IMPOSSIBLE for us.

NOTHING that happened in the past can make your whole life an abomination to God once you have been to confession.

Chestertonian it is not Catholicism that is making you crazy but your own tunnel vision of Catholicism that filters everything out that doesn't SEEM "real" to you. I think this is mostly due to your current suffering and your past memories affecting your mind.

Another instance of your tunnel vision is your idea of Purgatory. Because of the suffering you are in now, and its probably not being over until you die, all you can take in about Purgatory is that the pain there is worse than any pain on earth, and that one may be in Purgatory for a very long time.  Your imagination and your feelings extend your suffering from death through purgatory as something that is endless, and so "your reality" seems to exclude the Resurrection.

But YOUR reality is not true reality. The pain of purgatory and its unknown length are NOT all the Church teaches, and these other things DO make a difference to you, even if they don't seem to:

Purgatory IS in reality ONLY TEMPORAL.  It does end in heaven.  We have joy because the Resurrection opened heaven, regardless of whether we must suffer a time in purgatory.

UNLIKE YOU: Souls in Purgatory WANT to be there, because they see their ACTUAL sins (not something imaginary such as you fear).  They KNOW HEAVEN IS NEXT; there is no fear or rebellion in their hearts.  There is no doubt.  Their physical pain is worse than yours, but their hearts and their minds are in love with God and desire and confidently hope only for God.

If I thought purgatory was going to be like your suffering now, I would feel the same as you do, but I know that is not what the Church teaches.

:pray2:

I hope that you will be able to follow suggestions others are giving about finding a priest; don't have tunnel vision about that too ("it is just impossible for me in my reality")

:pray2:
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

christulsa

Perhaps Purgatory is actually easier than life on Earth.  More suffering objectively, but much easier to deal with.  I've read there is an upside to life there, and not just knowing you'll get to heaven.  Is it a state of absolute suffering?  I'd bet St Thomas'd say that's not even possible. But I'm not well read on this.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 18, 2017, 08:05:53 PM
is canon talarico the french one

I would assume that Canon Matthew Tallarico is Italian-American in origin, but I don't know for sure.  He is the Provincial Superior at the moment, residing in Chicago.  There are many French canons.  There are a bunch of adorable French ones:  Moreau (now on the island of Mauritius, overseeing a newish mission), Meney, Commins (very young), and others.  There are many Institute locations in France.

QuoteI am not super familiar with the Canons but do find it a bit surprising that one would choose the CFR's for his confessions.

I will say that for the Canons, spirituality is key, is number #1 after liturgy.  Because of that, they are not above searching from a variety of sources for what is compatible with the Institute's charism.  They respect the Society, the FSSP, and selected diocesan priests.  They are particular, yes, but not exclusive or rigid.  It's an identifiable and genuine spirituality they're seeking, one compatible with their own.

I found the rest of your comments in this post also interesting, by the way.

Miriam_M

Sorry.  Misspelled his name.  One "l" in Talarico.

Jayne

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Lynne

Quote from: christulsa on April 18, 2017, 10:35:42 PM

From Ridgefield, CT to Brooklyn, it would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They (the SSPX) come to NYC every Sunday to say Mass.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

christulsa

Quote from: Lynne on April 19, 2017, 09:01:57 AM

From Ridgefield, CT to Brooklyn, it would take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. They (the SSPX) come to NYC every Sunday to say Mass.

Well there you go.  How far are you from Brooklyn Ches?

Non Nobis

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Chestertonian

Quote from: christulsa on April 19, 2017, 03:35:47 PM

right there

christulsa

Quote from: Chestertonian on April 19, 2017, 04:06:37 PM
Quote from: christulsa on April 19, 2017, 03:35:47 PM

right there

Right there!?  If they're in your neighborhood every week, I'd think they can make a habit of dropping in.