can a lay person sing the epistle at High Mass?

Started by Jman123, April 05, 2017, 11:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman123

The Harlequin King

Quote from: Jman123 on April 05, 2017, 11:14:25 AM

If "lay person" would include an instituted lector or acolyte, there's no question that these may chant the Epistle at a sung Mass (I personally tend to reserve the term "high Mass" for "solemn high Mass" with deacon and subdeacon). It's even arguably preferable.

Otherwise, I don't know. One could argue that a lay reader (male, vested) is just filling in as an altar server would take the place of an ordained/instituted acolyte, but the practice is not common in the United States. I've heard it's more common in France, where they also do the Epistle in French.

Der Polka-König

Quote from: The Harlequin King on April 05, 2017, 12:16:04 PM
Quote from: Jman123 on April 05, 2017, 11:14:25 AM

If "lay person" would include an instituted lector or acolyte, there's no question that these may chant the Epistle at a sung Mass (I personally tend to reserve the term "high Mass" for "solemn high Mass" with deacon and subdeacon). It's even arguably preferable.

Otherwise, I don't know. One could argue that a lay reader (male, vested) is just filling in as an altar server would take the place of an ordained/instituted acolyte, but the practice is not common in the United States. I've heard it's more common in France, where they also do the Epistle in French.

Exactly. If "layperson" means any random layman, then no. If "layperson" means a seminaarian who has been instituted as a lector/acolyte, then yes, of course he can sing the Epistle. If "layperson" means a man (non-seminarian) who has been instituted as a lector by a bishhop, then yes, he can also sing the Epistle at a Missa Cantata (or as a straw subdeacon at a Solemn Mass). 

The pre-1960 rubrics assumed that if such a man were available, he would sing the Epistle. The 1960 revisions allow for such a case, but it is no longer assumed as the norm.
"The Modernists pass the same judgment on the most holy Fathers of the Church as they pass on tradition; decreeing, with amazing effrontery that, while personally most worthy of all veneration, they were entirely ignorant of history and criticism, for which they are only excusable on account of the time in which they lived. Finally, the Modernists try in every way to diminish and weaken the authority of the ecclesiastical magisterium itself by sacrilegiously falsifying its origin, character, and rights, and by freely repeating the calumnies of its adversaries."

-- St Pius X, Pascendi Dominici Gregis

Kaesekopf

I've seen a few trad churches have a layman with a good voice sing the epistle, at both missa cantata and (solemn) high mass. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.