Morbid Obesity

Started by Bonaventure, March 04, 2017, 12:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Just saw this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcWAXgoGCx4[/yt]

I've hit on this subject before, but I have struggled with serious weight problems myself, and have lost dear friends and family to this menace, including close relatives.

I would just really hope that those on this path do something, anything, little by little, to change.

No one needs to be built like a Greek statue or a Victoria's Secret model, but after a certain point, being fat will kill you.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Chestertonian

i truly dislike the reality show industry that makes these shows.  there are so many of them.  The duggars--the big family freak show.  the 600 pound life.. fat people freak show.  There's a show about couples who both have dwarfism, Toddlers and Tiaras,my strange addiction,  Hoarders, Sister Wives, Jon & Kate Plus Eight.......

i always wonder...what makes people enjoy watching these shows?  is it the desire to look at someone else's chaotic life and think "well thank Goodness, it could always be worse, I could always be 600 pounds, or a cat hoarder, or have to share a house with five (5!) wives.  one wife is enough for me kthx 

the way she talks about food doesnt sound that different from the way a meth addict talks about his meth--getting from one high to another.  shows like this give you a little window into other peoples' sad existences....what makes people sign up for this? I have been 6'1 95 pounds.  maybe i'm just crazy or something but you couldnt pay me to go on a show called "my 95 pound life" showcasing that freakish existence for the world to see... 
i think behind a lot of these "Sideshows" is capitalizing on peoples' mental chaos and eccentric lifestyles for  a profit and it's just sad. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Greg

My friend is built like a Greek statue.

His arm is missing.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Heinrich

Quote from: Greg on March 04, 2017, 02:22:05 AM
My friend is built like a Greek statue.

His arm is missing.

:lol:
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

attiret

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 04, 2017, 01:04:32 AM
what makes people sign up for this? I have been 6'1 95 pounds.  maybe i'm just crazy or something but you couldnt pay me to go on a show called "my 95 pound life" showcasing that freakish existence for the world to see... 

The woman in Bonaventure's video is too big to enter a bathroom, so she gets hosed down naked on the front porch. I think that the benefits of doing the show and getting help outweigh the potential shame, especially when their current state causes so much shame already.

Habitual_Ritual

As the Boxer, Chris Eubanks used to say...'if you want to lose weight, stop eating'

I tried this last summer. I am not seriously overweight, but am carrying a few extra pounds. In general, I prefer being chunkier to the skinny whippet I was in early adulthood. But, in order to lose weight after the body has become used to being set at a current level, can take a long time to switch up the metabolism. Encouraging a constant state of mild hunger (As opposed to gnawing hunger) is a must. The brain and body need to get the message that food is not as abundant as it was. This, after a few weeks will kick the metabolism into gear. Add in exercise to speed things along.

Stress hormones can really interfere with weight loss also. Something else to be addressed.

There is a book, 'The Cycle diet', that talks about losing weight and keeping it off. It is not really a diet as it is a permanent lifestyle shift. Short term diets don't work.
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Heinrich

Quote from: attiret on March 04, 2017, 08:59:22 AM
what makes people sign up for this? I have been 6'1 95 pounds.  maybe i'm just crazy or something but you couldnt pay me to go on a show called "my 95 pound life" showcasing that freakish existence for the world to see... 

The woman in Bonaventure's video is too big to enter a bathroom, so she gets hosed down naked on the front porch. I think that the benefits of doing the show and getting help outweigh the potential shame, especially when their current state causes so much shame already.

There are people who believe that you should be forced to give up part of the fruits of your labor to provide these types of people money to buy corn based and high fructose laden muck to perpetuate their blobbiness.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

i truly dislike the reality show industry that makes these shows.  there are so many of them.  The duggars--the big family freak show.  the 600 pound life.. fat people freak show.  There's a show about couples who both have dwarfism, Toddlers and Tiaras,my strange addiction,  Hoarders, Sister Wives, Jon & Kate Plus Eight.......

i always wonder...what makes people enjoy watching these shows?  is it the desire to look at someone else's chaotic life and think "well thank Goodness, it could always be worse, I could always be 600 pounds, or a cat hoarder, or have to share a house with five (5!) wives.  one wife is enough for me kthx 

the way she talks about food doesnt sound that different from the way a meth addict talks about his meth--getting from one high to another.  shows like this give you a little window into other peoples' sad existences....what makes people sign up for this? I have been 6'1 95 pounds.  maybe i'm just crazy or something but you couldnt pay me to go on a show called "my 95 pound life" showcasing that freakish existence for the world to see... 
i think behind a lot of these "Sideshows" is capitalizing on peoples' mental chaos and eccentric lifestyles for  a profit and it's just sad.

Considering that these people consent to be on these shows, I don't see what the problem is.

I do see a rationale to show gag inducing people for advertisers, but I think the benefit of these shows outweighs any humiliation.

The scorn and difficulties the obese face ought to motivate them to lose weight. It's not ok. I wish I could find a way for everyone, especially women, to eat healthier and weight train.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Chestertonian

How many fat people watch stuff like this while eating a whole box of Oreos, thinking, "Well hey, my life cant be that disordered, I'm nowhere near as far gone as this lady"

ive never been overweight a day  in my life,so i dont know what it would take to motivate me to make a change like that.  is it being repulsed by someone else?  i think a big reason why these freakumentary shows are so successful is because looking at someone else's disorder distracts us from our own internal disorder.  Suddenly, those 10 extra pounds youre carrying around dont seem like so big of a deal after watching this lady.  The fact that you just lost it in front of your kids a few hours ago doesnt bother you after watching "toddlers and tiaras" and realizing that you're a better parent than 100% of those crazy people

my sister's overweight, maybe like 20 pounds.  I sometimes hear her talk about my wife in catty ways, because my wife is anorexic and often complains that she's fat.  She says that she just wants to punch her when she hears the words "I'm so fat."  Mrs C made a big deal abotuhow she carried around 5 extra pounds  after the baby was born.   with anorexia, being 5 pounds overweight is the equivalent to being as fat as this lady in the freakumentary.

my sister has lost the 20 pounds, gained it, lost it, gained it again.  just seems to be a thorn in her side the way that we all have thorns in oursides.  health-wise, she's better off than my wife,who is having some serious heart problems in her early 30s due to her anorexia. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Bonaventure

Well, I've been over 100 pounds overweight. People in my family have died because of this.

Perhaps that's why it's not a big deal.

Again, this is not about vanity, but health.

angelcookie

Most people don't intend to get fat or whatever vice (drugs etc) they have, it happens over time with stress etc. This lady gets free help for doing the show right? I think people don't realise that who you are around plays a role too, enabeling or encouraging the eating for their own needs. I thought I was fat constantly throughout my life even when I was running 3-8 miles a day for cross country, taking ballet technique and pointe clesses, competing in baton twirling..... never could get where I wanted to be. It's all emotional or mental, and combine it with mean people, strangers, friends, family, patients I cared for; who've said I was fat at 115, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190, 200 lbs, add in not being able to assess yourself correctly in the mirror and feeling ashamed you think you look 600lbs and knowing even when you lose it won't be good enough, because fat shaming even when at a healthy or even slim fit weight is what people do now. I'd got to 158 after my son was born, then moved and gained more weight back with depression, got pregnant again, and the ob dr didn't believe I'd even lost the weight after my son was born because it wasn't  ever charted and lectured me I needed to basically not gain any. Not easy feat for a gestational diabetic. Well, sometimes so much pressure and guilt happens you screw it up, I delivered this last baby at my heaviest. I hate being fat. I don't wish it on anyone. Once I lose the weight again I'm going in for a damn office visit so my chart says 140 lbs, not skinny but healthier at least.

Bonaventure

Thanks for sharing. It's a struggle and cross for some of us.

Greg

I am on the fast/feast diet which is OK. But today is feast and I am having pork pie for breakfast.

I sleep soundly when I have fasted for 24 hours before.

The only trouble is this. I have just woken up and I am not ravenous for the pork pie.  Last night I would have enjoyed eating it far more.

Theres nothing like being ravenously hungry and stuffing your face.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

james03

People should really look at Atkins.  It is based on science.  Our bodies are not set up to eat glucose (sugar/starch).  That was a rare benefit so you have insulin to store it up as fat for the winter.

Even the wheat economy was whole wheat, which has a lot of fiber which slows down absorption and minimizes insulin spikes.

So eat nothing but fat, protein, leafy vegetables, and a little fruit.  Karl Denninger did it and reported on the results.  Even though he eats mostly saturated fats, his blood chemistry improved dramatically (LDL and triglycerides low normal).  He then took up marathon running.  He reports he was never hungry after he broke the sugar addiction, which takes a few days (that part will suck).  Because he is never hungry, he can maintain the lifestyle indefinitely.  The key is to break the insulin peaks and valleys.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Heinrich

Two weeks in Germany, Austria and Switzerland: bread and cheese for breakfast and lunch; meat and potatoes for supper(it was during Lent); walked an average of three miles a day, lost weight. Back in US, ate wheat products, felt miserable. Weight done come back, too. Something's to the fact that I can tolerate the carbs/wheat in Europe, but not in US.

I read once that Ghengis Khan fed his men every other day, and only meat. Bread was forbidden.