What languages are spoken here?

Started by Fleur-de-Lys, May 14, 2016, 02:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Ulrich Von Lichtenstein on May 16, 2016, 12:06:45 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on May 15, 2016, 10:59:02 PM
Quote from: Jayne on May 15, 2016, 07:25:14 PM
I read Latin fairly well and there aren't any native speakers to complain about my accent.

bad latin pronunciation, particularly during chanting is the worst

it can be very distracting especially during the liturgy when the priest sounds distinctly 'murican and has such a clear hickish accent that comes through...i have a hard time not focusing on anything else.  bad bad bad.  it's especially upsetting when these are priests that came from traditional catholic seminaries where you cant blame it on bad formation. 

suppose it is better than novus ordo and "on eagles wings' but still like nails on a chalkboard

In Europe, you can tell roughly which country a priest comes from based on his Latin alone... There seems to still be some accents in Latin too... Although I do not know if there are supposed to be...

It's rather unavoidable, I would think, since they don't grow up speaking Latin.  The languages you learn at a young age color your accent in languages you learn later (so I have a somewhat Italian sounding accent in Russian because I learned the little bits of Italian as a young kid -- it sounds a little like a Moscow accent, and people often assume I'm the American-raised kid of Muscovite parents).
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

JubilateDeo

All of our Institute of Christ the King priests speak and chant beautiful Latin.  They come from many different parts of the world, and while a lot of them have different quirks and styles in the way they say the Mass, they are all beautiful and reflect a type of priestly formation that is really hard to come by.  I don't know if they were all this good at chant before they started seminary, but I can't imagine that they all had natural singing talent.    I also have known wonderful (usually diocesan) priests who just don't have the chant thing down right, probably because they never received any sort of training.  Not everybody can go to seminary in Griciliagno.  I'm sure everyone is doing their best, but nobody does it quite like the Institute :)

JubilateDeo

All that being said, our French priest's accent is so thick that we have joked about chipping in so he could take an accent reduction class.  I'm sure his sermons are wonderful, I just can only understand every other word of them.

abc123

Currently studying Russian and know enough Old Church Slavonic to be able to get through a Divine Liturgy at a Russian Orthodox church.

Perpetua

Pronouncing Latin with a heavy English accent is the worst. It's something with the R's far back towards the soft palate and it comes out especially when some English-speakers say Miserere or Patris etc. The R's are supposed to be pronounced at the alveolar ridge in the hard palate.
The other thing that gets to me is pronouncing Domine - Domin-eeeeyyyy. It's Domin-eh. An E in the end is pronounced -eh, not -ey. Even inside words it's still not EY, but EH.
The Frenchmen's R's are not very nice to hear when they speak/sing Latin either.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: abc123 on May 17, 2016, 01:41:26 PM
Currently studying Russian and know enough Old Church Slavonic to be able to get through a Divine Liturgy at a Russian Orthodox church.

An Orthodox friend of mine taught me to chant the Jesus Prayer in Church Slavonic, just like the Valaam Choir chant it. Beautiful.

abc123

Quote from: Ulrich Von Lichtenstein on May 17, 2016, 03:22:27 PM
Quote from: abc123 on May 17, 2016, 01:41:26 PM

An Orthodox friend of mine taught me to chant the Jesus Prayer in Church Slavonic, just like the Valaam Choir chant it. Beautiful.

Fantastic! I recently came across this vid which you may find edifying:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92VmUEi9lKs&list=LL8Z1zBXGQ1fENLhKs8F1Kyw&index=8[/yt]

Jayne

Quote from: Perpetua on May 17, 2016, 01:44:04 PM
Pronouncing Latin with a heavy English accent is the worst. It's something with the R's far back towards the soft palate and it comes out especially when some English-speakers say Miserere or Patris etc. The R's are supposed to be pronounced at the alveolar ridge in the hard palate.
The other thing that gets to me is pronouncing Domine - Domin-eeeeyyyy. It's Domin-eh. An E in the end is pronounced -eh, not -ey. Even inside words it's still not EY, but EH.
The Frenchmen's R's are not very nice to hear when they speak/sing Latin either.

Since you were bilingual from childhood, you developed two phonological systems and the ability to switch between them. Your brain processes language differently from monolinguals. You are fortunate to have such a gift.  As you have noticed, it is easier for you to learn languages than it is for most people.

There is a risk when people have this gift (or perhaps any gift or talent) that we would look down on those who do not have it.  When it comes to Latin, we can end up with people looking down on and criticising priests for their Latin language abilities.  The attitude that we ought to have toward priests is respect and gratitude.  This is especially true when it comes to priests who are willing to say Mass in Latin when they are under no obligation to do so. 

As far as the current rules in the Church are concerned, every priest could say Mass in the vernacular using his native language.  Then nobody would be able to criticize their Latin accents. We would also be deprived of the Tridentine Mass.  It is such an enormous blessing to have access to the TLM when the vast majority of people do not.  It seems to me that our gratitude for this blessing would lead us to be reasonable in our expectations for our priests mastery of Latin.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

aquinas138

Speak English and a bit of German. Reading knowledge of German, French, Latin, Greek, Syriac, and Coptic (Sahidic and Bohairic mostly, but I did pass doctoral exams in other dialects, for whatever that's worth :lol:). Less confident reading knowledge of Hebrew and Arabic (need a dictionary ready at hand). I can "fake" reading through Italian and Spanish most of the time, and I studied a bit of classical Armenian in grad school—I don't remember much beyond the opening of the Our Father, the alphabet, and some common words. Teaching myself a bit of Church Slavonic when I have time, which I don't. Would love to learn Russian and Polish. Would benefit from some familiarity with Middle Persian.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Perpetua

Quote from: Jayne on May 18, 2016, 04:05:14 AM

Since you were bilingual from childhood, you developed two phonological systems and the ability to switch between them. Your brain processes language differently from monolinguals. You are fortunate to have such a gift.  As you have noticed, it is easier for you to learn languages than it is for most people.

There is a risk when people have this gift (or perhaps any gift or talent) that we would look down on those who do not have it.  When it comes to Latin, we can end up with people looking down on and criticising priests for their Latin language abilities.  The attitude that we ought to have toward priests is respect and gratitude.  This is especially true when it comes to priests who are willing to say Mass in Latin when they are under no obligation to do so. 

As far as the current rules in the Church are concerned, every priest could say Mass in the vernacular using his native language.  Then nobody would be able to criticize their Latin accents. We would also be deprived of the Tridentine Mass.  It is such an enormous blessing to have access to the TLM when the vast majority of people do not.  It seems to me that our gratitude for this blessing would lead us to be reasonable in our expectations for our priests mastery of Latin.

I wasn't aiming it at priests but at choir members who have had practice in pronunciation by other native English speakers. Some just refuse to even try learning it right. But yes, you are right, I should be more humble.

Jayne

Quote from: Perpetua on May 18, 2016, 06:48:40 AM
I wasn't aiming it at priests but at choir members who have had practice in pronunciation by other native English speakers. Some just refuse to even try learning it right. But yes, you are right, I should be more humble.

I think that what looks like "refusing to try" can sometimes be manifested by people who actually feel overwhelmed by difficulty.  It might be hard for someone who finds the same task very easy to relate to it.

At any rate, I have no right to tell anyone to be more humble when I struggle with pride so much myself.  However, I am pleased that you resolve to be more humble, since practically everyone needs to.  :)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Miriam_M

To each her own.  :)
I personally love Latin said with a French accent -- which is lucky for me because I hear it constantly.   :D

Answering OP's question:  Reading knowledge of Latin and French.   Excellent pronunciation of both, but rusty on the fluency/speed of my conversational French.

Ulrich Von Lichtenstein

Quote from: Jayne on May 18, 2016, 07:11:27 AM

At any rate, I have no right to tell anyone to be more humble when I struggle with pride so much myself.  However, I am pleased that you resolve to be more humble, since practically everyone needs to.  :)

You could both learn from me. I am very humble. I am exceedingly humble. One could travel far and wide in this world and still never come across someone quite so magnificently resplendent in brilliant rays of shining humility such as myself. In fact, I take great pride in my humility.

;D

Christina_S

Quote from: Ulrich Von Lichtenstein on May 19, 2016, 04:10:08 PM
Quote from: Jayne on May 18, 2016, 07:11:27 AM

You could both learn from me. I am very humble. I am exceedingly humble. One could travel far and wide in this world and still never come across someone quite so magnificently resplendent in brilliant rays of shining humility such as myself. In fact, I take great pride in my humility.

;D
Oh yeah? Bet I can be humbler!

Anything you can be-humble-at, I can be-humbler-at it. Sooner or later, I'm meeker than you! :whistling:
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.