Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: I need a source on this
« Last post by Daniel on Today at 08:28:29 AM »
God will not judge you for listening to your confessor. Your confessor trusts in the guidance from the Holy Ghost to be able to advise you properly and if he has advised you wrong he will be accountable to God. Not you.
This is what priests have told me. But, is there any solid proof that the Church herself teaches this?

I've also noticed that some of this seems to come down to the theory of aequiprobabilism. But, I am wondering, does the Church infallibly teach that aequiprobabilism is correct?
Ask a Traditionalist / Re: Where is Heaven?
« Last post by Daniel on Today at 08:14:52 AM »
Chris, I did not read the whole thread, but I got to thinking about the woman at the well who had been married many times. Jesus asked her, who, after the ressurection, her husband will be. Does that speak to your question?
I might be missing something, but I don't remember that ever happening.
In John's gospel, there is a woman who has had five "husbands," and she is currently living with a man who is not truly her husband. Christ, knowing this, tells her to summon her husband. The woman replies, "I can't do that because I have no husband". Christ then says, "You're right, you have no husband, for the man you live with is not your husband". (I don't have a source, but I believe Christ said this primarily to prove that he was a prophet with supernatural knowledge, and secondarily as a condemnation of adultery and/or polygamy.) But nowhere in this passage does Christ say anything about how things will be "after the resurrection."
In an unrelated passage, the Sadducees asked Christ "if a woman is widowed several times and remarries each time, who will her husband be after the resurrection?" (they asked that because they did not believe in the resurrection, and were trying to disprove it by presenting a contradiction), but Christ answered with "after the resurrection no one will marry or be married, but everyone will be like the angels." (Again, I don't have a source, but I believe the correct in interpretation of this is basically, "There's no contradiction. Nobody's going to be married after the resurrection.").

One thing I know but have a hard time grasping is that there will be relatives we are close to that won't make it due to their own choices. There is no sorrow, disappointment, no more burdens or sufferings. So...what about those that do not make it? We won't be sad? Won't miss them? We will understand God's justice, which may have been very mysterious to us in this life. But still, no sadness, no sorrow or pain?
Regardless of whether you were close to them in this life, you will hate the damned with a divine hatred. Their punishment will bring you joy, just as revenge here on earth brings us a passing joy. (The difference being, the hatred and revenge experienced in heaven is perfectly conformed to the will of God. It is perfectly ordered and non-sinful.)

I also have a good argument our pets will be in heaven which a friend with a doctorate in Thomistic theology said convinced him!   :)  There is no question the Beatific Vision itself will fulfill all our desires, but when I think of heaven I tend to think about many physical and social realities of this life possibly continuing.  Heaven has always fascinated me.  I tend to think when God recreates heaven and Earth, heaven will be on Earth itself.  A perfect civilization with cities, occupations (without the sweat of the brow), friendships, families, arts and entertainment, food, travel, outdoor adventure.  Not sure if there'll be sex though.  Maybe some kind of quasi-romantic forms of affection.  All this is based on my theory that most peoples of the world have always had natural desires for these "earthly" things in the afterlife because God Himself planted those desires in us, because that is part of His plan.  And that when Scripture says God will grant all our desires in heaven, it seems to mean the desires we have in this life.  But then all these material realities will be drawn into the supernatural life of the Bleased Trinity in the Beatific Vision, just as the body and soul will be reunited in a glorified way, and how God will create a New Earth and the New Heaven.
I acknowledge that heaven is a physical place, and perhaps a social place, but I don't think it's going to be as you described.
Suppose I hate dogs and never want to see another dog again. But my best friend loves dogs and he never wants to be without his dog. And I want to see my best friend at times, and my best friend wants to see me at times. And the two of us are in heaven.
So, how would that go down? Either I see my best friend who has his dog with him and I'm not happy, or I see my best friend who doesn't have his dog with him and he's not happy, or neither of us ever see each other and neither of us are happy. There's no way to make everyone happy.
I think the simple answer is, since the only thing that really matters is God, then once we attain God we won't care about anything else.
Buy/Sell/Trade / Re: liturgical year
« Last post by Gardener on Today at 08:03:58 AM »
Price?
General News and Discussion / Re: Chester Bennington dies
« Last post by Sempronius on Today at 07:17:30 AM »
Chester was just a product of the hedonistic culture. Pope Francis is just a product of the modern catholicism. None of them personally are leading souls to hell.

Should we pray for celebreties? Feels stupid and one shouldn't have a emotional attachment to celebrities.

"A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand;"

Better to pray that this hedonism wont destroy your own soul. (Not directing this to anyone particular)

Hey, so there's a new iOS/Android app called Robinhood where if one signs up using another member's referral, one gets a free random stock. You can then sell and pull the cash out 30 days later. If interested, here is my referral link: http://share.robinhood.com/thomasi48

100% free!
would be for my wifewho has had a relapse of anorexia, which does have life threatening complications if things dont change.

Iwe have a mutual  friend from years ago who had an eating disorder (i believe it was a combination of anorexia & bulimia) and went to this healing Mass, I believe from a Charismatic group.  Now I'm not exactly sure what happened at the healing Mass because I've never been to one.  But she said they gave her anointing of the sick and she was healed of her eating disorder--it's been years and I think she is still doing well and back to eating normally.  iguess i am just desperate for something that would help  my wife..

I have no health experise or qualifications and your post is only a few words on a forum so the bigger picture isn't there to know and you can dismiss what I write.
Do you tip toe around your wife's illness , have you full on told her you know she has relapsed. The reason I ask is I imagine if I were in your shoes with your health and you have said that it's terminal,  I would be beyond traumatised worrying about my kids if something were to happen to my spouse.
So would you just bawl cry sob from the heart and tell her that her relapse has sent you more of a penance than worrying about dying as your kids will be left orphans. Who will rear them, your mum won't be around forever, so will it be your gay brother or her dysfunctional family. Ask her to write a will for when she dies and hand her the paper to do it. All this is for dramatic effect not that those scenarios aren't real. Really think you should paint a picture for her of what is in store for your boys. To sum up , slap her hard with a wet fish (hope you understand that phrase).
Basically guilt her into taking a look at her sons future.
Do ye do full on brutal conversations when needed?
You know her best so this advice maybe useless I just know it's what I would do.
Well that SSPX article would get an "F" if it were submitted as a college term paper.  Dignatitis Humanae makes very clear that it is referring to a civil right, and not a natural right.  So condemning it as though it were referring to a natural right is at a Jack T. Chick level.

Fallacies: red herring, proof of assertion, special pleading and kettle logic.

In fact, toleration is no more and no less than the granting of a civil right, and toleration was already permitted by Leo XIII.

Lie. Find the term civil right and toleration together on any document before Vatican II. Toleration does not equal right. This is a lie.

Religious Toleration http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14763a.htm

Considered in the abstract, the general idea of toleration contains two chief moments:

-the existence of something which is regarded as an evil by the tolerating subject;

You'll notice the word EVIL cannot be a RIGHT. The Church has never said civil rights can exclude God. Civic toleration is not a civic right. Rights belong to God and the truth. So thank you Benny Hinn

Rights are from God, both civil and natural. What civil right does one have apart from morality and Godliness? NONE of course, but don't let that get in the way of your term paper grading. Your next play is the move the goalpost fallacy, post hoc fallacy and intentionality fallacy.
General Catholic Discussion / Re: Understanding Pain and Suffering.
« Last post by dymphna17 on Today at 03:14:30 AM »
[St. Theresa of Avila]

What I find incredible is how someone with all her physical diseases and severe daily pain--especially diffuse NERVE pain--and her almost constant state of paralysis in different parts of her body, often involving both legs, managed to found something like 15 monasteries, reform the entire Carmelite order, and become one of the greatest masters of mystical theology.  Oh and she suffered from chronic serious mental illness.   

What kind of mental illness did she really have?

Doing some googling shows some atheists and other skeptics think her visions and general behavior can be explained as psychotic episodes or hysteria.

Having psychosis means that your reason is impaired and you lose touch with reality, and you can suffer delusions and hallucinations. I have trouble seeing how she could have had true psychosis, even if she had milder forms of mental illness.  She could have had psychosis at some times and still be holy, but I can't see that the Church would have publicly canonized her if that were the case. They would have detected that her visions were at least suspect, and that people were being reasonable in suspecting them.

I'd be willing to bet that she was bi-polar.  She could run around establishing convents, constantly pushing, pushing, pushing, to get things done.  This would be the manic phase.  Then she would crash and be despondent for a while.  The depressive phase. 
General Catholic Discussion / Re: Understanding Pain and Suffering.
« Last post by Non Nobis on Today at 02:20:38 AM »
[St. Theresa of Avila]

What I find incredible is how someone with all her physical diseases and severe daily pain--especially diffuse NERVE pain--and her almost constant state of paralysis in different parts of her body, often involving both legs, managed to found something like 15 monasteries, reform the entire Carmelite order, and become one of the greatest masters of mystical theology.  Oh and she suffered from chronic serious mental illness.   

What kind of mental illness did she really have?

Doing some googling shows some atheists and other skeptics think her visions and general behavior can be explained as psychotic episodes or hysteria.

Having psychosis means that your reason is impaired and you lose touch with reality, and you can suffer delusions and hallucinations. I have trouble seeing how she could have had true psychosis, even if she had milder forms of mental illness.  She could have had psychosis at some times and still be holy, but I can't see that the Church would have publicly canonized her if that were the case. They would have detected that her visions were at least suspect, and that people were being reasonable in suspecting them. 
This priest died and was shown hell, purgatory, and heaven but was sent back to heal the sick.

http://www.ewtn.com/v/experts/showmessage.asp?number=604990

Contact him here to ask him for prayers and to offer a Mass of healing (I did recently, sent him a stipend, he just asks for $10, said can do without stipend, scroll down to his email)

http://www.frmaniyangathealingministry.com/news/Newslist.aspx?linkId=19&NewsId=1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10