Can You Have Too Much Quilt Fabric (or other hobby supplies)?

Started by Bernadette, January 18, 2013, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

verenaerin

My daughter was in the hospital when she was 3 for surgery. They gave her a fleece quilt that was simply bound. She loved it and still has it today- 4 years later. I hope when I am older that I will be in a situation where I can afford the money and time to make quilts or pillow cases for kids in the hospital. It really does brighten their day.

Fabric doesn't go bad. I see it as an investment. 2 years ago I bought fabric online. It turned out to be flannel, which was never included in the description. I kept it because it was so pretty and I figured I would use it at some point. Last week I needed backing for a St. Valentine's day quilt for my kids, and this fabric turned out to be the perfect backing. I was so glad to have it and not have to buy more fabric for this project. Shopping from your stash is very rewarding and then gives you an excuse to get more fabric for your stash!

Bernadette

Quote from: verenaerin on October 07, 2014, 05:16:15 AM

Fabric doesn't go bad. I see it as an investment. [...] Shopping from your stash is very rewarding and then gives you an excuse to get more fabric for your stash!

I've recently found this to be true. I'm making my third quilt now, using mostly fabric left over from making my second one. Though shopping for the fabric at the store was loads more fun, I like not having to invest all of that money all over again!  ;)
My Lord and my God.

verenaerin

Quote from: Bernadette on October 07, 2014, 06:40:26 AM
Quote from: verenaerin on October 07, 2014, 05:16:15 AM

Fabric doesn't go bad. I see it as an investment. [...] Shopping from your stash is very rewarding and then gives you an excuse to get more fabric for your stash!

I've recently found this to be true. I'm making my third quilt now, using mostly fabric left over from making my second one. Though shopping for the fabric at the store was loads more fun, I like not having to invest all of that money all over again!  ;)

I love the look of scrappy quilts. It makes sense to buy what you can on sale, and then use it for future projects. There are amillion patterns for scrappy/ strip quilts. Another good place to get fabric is estate sales. You can get boxes of stuff for super cheap.

MundaCorMeum

I have wanted to learn how to quilt for awhile now.  I just don't know if I can free up enough space for all the fabric, when my ever-growing supply of knitting yarn is demanding an overhaul these days  :P

Seriously, though, our current quilt (a gift from my Mom, but not homemade) is starting to lose its batting, and I'm very close to beginning my first quilt....any tips/suggestions on how to get started?

Lynne

The start-up costs for quilting can be a little expensive but there's ways around it.

Check your local library to see what kind of books they have on quilting.

Here's a good place to find some patterns...

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ig/Free-Quilt-Patterns/
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

moneil

The only major expense for quilting is a sewing machine for piecing (and if you have the time and patience to hand piece and appliqué ... so much the cheaper).  A cutting mat and rotary cutter are nice, plus a seam ripper ... watch the sales as Jo-Ann's, and sign up for their 40% off coupons, and you can put those supplies together for under $20.00.

Books are good but they have a price ... most local libraries also have them for free check out.

Joining a local quilting group is an excellent way to learn, get assistance and advice, books to borrow, perhaps even access to a "fabric stash".

@ MundCorMeum, if the primary issue with your quilt is just the batting, it is easy enough to "seam rip" the top off, baste it to new batting, even add a new backing and binding, bet could cost less than $20 for supplies, especially watching sales and using coupons.  Then you have to quilt is back together by hand, or send it to a machine quilter (quilt groups are good for recommendations here) ... I know people do it, but machine quilting a full or queen size quilt on a standard sewing machine is a royal pain.

Lynne

I started quilting over 20 years ago when I had a lot more disposable income so luckily I got the bulk of my supplies then.  :D

Today, I'd have to think twice about spending $100 or so to start a new hobby (but that's just me and my budget). Quilting is a wonderful hobby but there is a start-up cost.

Moneil had a great idea about finding a quilt guild. Check with your local quilt store to see if they know of any.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: moneil on November 14, 2014, 02:26:59 PM
The only major expense for quilting is a sewing machine for piecing (and if you have the time and patience to hand piece and appliqué ... so much the cheaper).  A cutting mat and rotary cutter are nice, plus a seam ripper ... watch the sales as Jo-Ann's, and sign up for their 40% off coupons, and you can put those supplies together for under $20.00.

Books are good but they have a price ... most local libraries also have them for free check out.

Joining a local quilting group is an excellent way to learn, get assistance and advice, books to borrow, perhaps even access to a "fabric stash".

@ MundCorMeum, if the primary issue with your quilt is just the batting, it is easy enough to "seam rip" the top off, baste it to new batting, even add a new backing and binding, bet could cost less than $20 for supplies, especially watching sales and using coupons.  Then you have to quilt is back together by hand, or send it to a machine quilter (quilt groups are good for recommendations here) ... I know people do it, but machine quilting a full or queen size quilt on a standard sewing machine is a royal pain.

I actually have all those supplies already :).  I even have a small stash of fabric to practice with.  Mostly, I'm just intimidated to start!  Checking the library is a great idea....I'll start there, I think.  I did do a T-shirt quilt for my niece years ago, using all her old high school t-shirts.  It was a throw-blanket sized one.  The top was a breeze.  I pieced the top to batting and backing on my machine.  It was a beast!  I'm not sure if that is even considered proper quilting or not.  The back looked like a checker board with very large squares. 

That is a clever idea to take the top off and reattach it to a new back and batting.  There are a few frayed edges on the top, but I suppose could just seam rip the edge off, and sew on a new one.  I like the idea of quilting by hand, but I'd have to do some reading first.  In theory, I get the concept.  I just don't have any practice or technique.  It seems like such a huge undertaking, that I'm afraid to even start.  I would really like to try a more traditional quilt, sewing pieces of fabric into a pretty pattern, though.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to join a quilting group right now.  I'll have to stick to books and online support.

Melanie_T

Material, wool whatever.....you have too much when your husband has to abandon his office as your sewing room is too full!