Fr Haydock's Commentary

Started by jovan66102, May 20, 2018, 09:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jovan66102

Father Haydock's Commentary in a convenient, searchable format!

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/hcc.html
Jovan-Marya Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux
https://musingsofanoldcurmudgeon.blogspot.com/

Gardener

Nice. Ever since the other one went down, I'd been using the archive.org snapshots of it.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

jovan66102

So have I, but this one looks better.

"Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)" St Bernard of Clairvaux

Non Nobis

This looks great! Reminds me of drbo.org.

Is the "Bookstore" sub-forum mostly used for actual (offline) books? I almost didn't look here.

I wish there was a perfect way to arrange an online Catholic resources "bookstore" or library.  There is so much good material but the links are all over the place (e.g. in threads).  I am very disorganized and have a bad memory, so often have trouble finding the Catholic sources I need - resulting in inefficient overuse of Google.  Any helpful suggestions, e.g. how do you do it for your own use? Maybe I should start a new thread...
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

jovan66102

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 21, 2018, 12:11:11 AM
Any helpful suggestions, e.g. how do you do it for your own use?

Yes! Use myhq.com. It's a free, no advertising bookmark tool. It has an 'add link' tool that you can put in your bookmark bar at the top of your screen. When you're on a page, just click that, and it's automatically saved on the page. It allows for categorisation, as well, so you could have 'prayer books', 'theology', 'philosophy', etc. Or you could organise the bookmarks by Saint or other author.

I've used it for over a decade and I love it. It's always at the left of my bookmark bar, with the 'add link' tool right next to it.

jovan66102

Quote from: jovan66102 on May 21, 2018, 12:51:51 AM

Yes! Use myhq.com. It's a free, no advertising bookmark tool. It has an 'add link' tool that you can put in your bookmark bar at the top of your screen. When you're on a page, just click that, and it's automatically saved on the page. It allows for categorisation, as well, so you could have 'prayer books', 'theology', 'philosophy', etc. Or you could organise the bookmarks by Saint or other author.

I've used it for over a decade and I love it. It's always at the left of my bookmark bar, with the 'add link' tool right next to it. Actually, now that I think of it, we could set up an SD page on it so everyone could access it. If enough people want it, I can set up the page.

Prayerful

I've the Loreto publications reprint (great barring the intro is one page out), and an 1851 version in two volumes, which condenses some of the notes and has some, well, vivid illustrations.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Gardener

Quote from: Prayerful on May 21, 2018, 02:06:17 PM
I've the Loreto publications reprint (great barring the intro is one page out), and an 1851 version in two volumes, which condenses some of the notes and has some, well, vivid illustrations.

The Loreto reprint is one I've been wanting. Is it worth the money? Are you able to post a few pictures of it so I can see its layout, quality, any illustrations, etc.?

I wish they'd get on with the Lapide commentary translation. The ones they have done so far as an amazing resource. Much more in-depth than Haydock (though not necessarily as accessible for the average person, due to the amount and depth of info).
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Prayerful

Quote from: Gardener on May 21, 2018, 03:10:26 PM
Quote from: Prayerful on May 21, 2018, 02:06:17 PM

The Loreto reprint is one I've been wanting. Is it worth the money? Are you able to post a few pictures of it so I can see its layout, quality, any illustrations, etc.?

I wish they'd get on with the Lapide commentary translation. The ones they have done so far as an amazing resource. Much more in-depth than Haydock (though not necessarily as accessible for the average person, due to the amount and depth of info).

Imgur album (hopefully this shows, somewhat jumbled).

Yes, I would think so in terms of worth. High quality and striking binding and cover/spine decoration. There is only one noticeable blunder (at least on mine). The last page of the preface, which carries a list of commentators, is placed one page before the preface. Otherwise I cannot fault it, although maybe one or two more ribbons might have helped (say for moving between scripture text and dictionary). I thought the paper a little light but the Baronius parallel DR-Vulgate has the same sort of light paper, as frankly do most missals, which presumably has been found practical. The Catholic Bible Dictionary is both finely illustrated and references each use of every entry in the dictionary. Fr Haydock showed no fear of the heresiarchs Luther, Wesley and Calvin and others, quoting their interpretations in his notes in order to refute them.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Gardener

Excellent. Thank you. Alas my poor wallet.

Non Nobis

Quote from: jovan66102 on May 21, 2018, 12:53:53 AM

I've used it for over a decade and I love it. It's always at the left of my bookmark bar, with the 'add link' tool right next to it. Actually, now that I think of it, we could set up an SD page on it so everyone could access it. If enough people want it, I can set up the page.

I'll have to try myhq.

I found this sample myhq page:  http://www.myhq.com/public/l/b/lbettencourt/. It gives me an idea of how big the tables can grow.

It would be nice to have something like a "SuscipeDomine Traditionalist Catholic Online Reference Library".  Maybe  you could start a thread providing a link to a sample myhq page (even if not set up by you) and ask if people would like to populate something like that for a common SD library.  You could also ask for ideas as to what should go in it, and perhaps it could even be changed over time a little as more ideas come in.  Of course it is up to you.

I think this might be useful.  I might be able to help maintain it if that is needed. I'll have to tryout myhq myself first.

What do you think, Gardener (or anyone reading)? Any other ideas?
---

Well so far I haven't been able to register at myhq... Old software...
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Gardener

jovan66102

On setting up a bookmark page on myhq for a Suscipe Domine 'library'.

Gardener

I have no idea what that application is.

I just utilize the browser's bookmark feature and make separate folders as needed, and then place bookmarks with labels to help me remember what something is (in other words, I rarely use the default label).

jovan66102

Yes, but a myhq page could be accessible to all members of SD (and the public, if we so choose), unlike the bookmarks on your computer.