Humility: Good or Bad?

Started by Probius, October 12, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 13, 2014, 04:47:24 PM

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 13, 2014, 03:41:26 AM
It is contradictory to say we understand mysterys. And we do not wallow in the Mystery of God we meditate upon it...are infused with it..amazed by it...and embrace and Love it. God is a Mystery most profound. But in Satanic pride some are unwilling to accept God as mystery...some are drunk from the fermented fruit of the tree of knowledge.

Yes, once a mystery is solved it is no longer a mystery.  Things like gravity and magnetic fields used to be mysteries, but then scientists figured out those mysteries.  Mysteries are meant to be solved, they are not meant to remain mysteries.  The reason society dug its way out of the dark ages is that intelligent men sought to discover the solutions to the mysteries, they did not sit back and revel in the mysteries.

Some things, even on earth, remain a mystery to me because _I_ don't yet understand them myself.  I am very happy to hear that someone does understand, and agree mysteries are not meant to be NEVER understood.  But I stand in awe at the wonders of science that are beyond my understanding (due to a lack of time, or intelligence, or whatever).

If I thought that God could NEVER be understood by ANYONE, even Himself, I wouldn't believe in Him either.  But I am humble (ouch, that word again) enough to accept that I will not be the one to completely understand Him. 
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Probius

Well, you won't with that attitude. ;)  My goal is to completely understand Objectivism, why wouldn't you try to completely understand Catholicism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

Probius

Voxx, Enoch was said to have walked with God, how did he not see him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

Non Nobis

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 13, 2014, 06:03:09 PM
My goal is to completely understand Objectivism, why wouldn't you try to completely understand Catholicism?

Objectivism must be a puny thing indeed.  I pity you, rejecting what you cannot fit into your little head, or into the collective heads of those no greater than you. How much you are missing.

Understanding Catholicism more and more is a life long goal.  But Catholicism is about man's relationship with God, and God is infinite. Your goals are amputated by your shortsightedness.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 13, 2014, 05:54:28 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 13, 2014, 04:47:24 PM

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 13, 2014, 03:41:26 AM
It is contradictory to say we understand mysterys. And we do not wallow in the Mystery of God we meditate upon it...are infused with it..amazed by it...and embrace and Love it. God is a Mystery most profound. But in Satanic pride some are unwilling to accept God as mystery...some are drunk from the fermented fruit of the tree of knowledge.

Yes, once a mystery is solved it is no longer a mystery.  Things like gravity and magnetic fields used to be mysteries, but then scientists figured out those mysteries.  Mysteries are meant to be solved, they are not meant to remain mysteries.  The reason society dug its way out of the dark ages is that intelligent men sought to discover the solutions to the mysteries, they did not sit back and revel in the mysteries.

Some things, even on earth, remain a mystery to me because _I_ don't yet understand them myself.  I am very happy to hear that someone does understand, and agree mysteries are not meant to be NEVER understood.  But I stand in awe at the wonders of science that are beyond my understanding (due to a lack of time, or intelligence, or whatever).

If I thought that God could NEVER be understood by ANYONE, even Himself, I wouldn't believe in Him either.  But I am humble (ouch, that word again) enough to accept that I will not be the one to completely understand Him.
In eastern spirituality it is considered an act of pride to say we could ever understand or comprehend God fully.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

voxxpopulisuxx

Cf
Many faithfull walk with God without ever seeing him

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Probius

Quote from: Non Nobis on May 13, 2014, 07:22:51 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 13, 2014, 06:03:09 PM
My goal is to completely understand Objectivism, why wouldn't you try to completely understand Catholicism?

Objectivism must be a puny thing indeed.  I pity you, rejecting what you cannot fit into your little head, or into the collective heads of those no greater than you. How much you are missing.

Understanding Catholicism more and more is a life long goal.  But Catholicism is about man's relationship with God, and God is infinite. Your goals are amputated by your shortsightedness.

Well, I like hearing that you desire to advance in the faith, instead of staying put.  That's good.  For a man to be happy, he must never stop advancing in knowledge and wisdom.

Objectivism is a very sober philosophy, it stays only in the realm of objective reality.  But, there is a lot to learn.  I'm a natural fit for this philosophy, it's what I was drawn to instinctively.  I was learning the basics of the philosophy long before I had ever heard the name.  I went to business school in college, and I was obsessed with Adam Smith and the idea of Laissez Faire Capitalism.  I had a great macro economics professor, and she taught me all about Laissez Faire.  Ayn Rand just took this idea and applied it to the social realm.  Society is better when millions of people are making their own decisions, rather than when a few are making the decisions for all.

Probius

Exodus 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."  Moses saw God face to face.  How did Enoch walk with God without seeing him?  That would be quite a trick.  God walked in the garden of Eden and spoke to Adam and Eve.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 13, 2014, 08:55:15 PM
Exodus 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."  Moses saw God face to face.  How did Enoch walk with God without seeing him?  That would be quite a trick.  God walked in the garden of Eden and spoke to Adam and Eve.
es these are great mysterys. One can assume that the Lord to a circumscribed form..maybe He appeared as Jesus..I dont know...But the context of the quote..No one has seen God and lived...is God in His full majesty and imminence (eminence? ). I walk with God the best I can...it is a spiritual reality. As i point out you are a disabled individual....your spirit is crippled your ability to embrace sublime truths about God is blunted by your pride and materialism. Yours is a closed and circular interior life. Do you even have an interior life?

911!

red solo cup

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 13, 2014, 08:55:15 PM
Your going to quote the Bible? Srsly?
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Probius

I mentioned earlier that I reject materialism.  Yes, I am quoting the Bible, it clearly states that Moses spoke to God face to face, the way friends speak.  That would indicate as equals, as friends are equals.  That doesn't mean Moses was God's equal, but that God spoke to Jim as if he was.  I have an interior life, it's just not supernatural.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 14, 2014, 06:47:57 AM
I mentioned earlier that I reject materialism.  Yes, I am quoting the Bible, it clearly states that Moses spoke to God face to face, the way friends speak.  That would indicate as equals, as friends are equals.  That doesn't mean Moses was God's equal, but that God spoke to Jim as if he was.  I have an interior life, it's just not supernatural.
Then it is horizontal...circular and deficient to handle life. A materialist interior life makes you an autominton...a cipher...a bag of chemicals ...no more significant than a common garden slug. In fact the slug is at least living its true nature. You are not. Question...are you married? Do you have Children. Have you ever experienced a profound tragedy in your life. Are you older than 25?

911!

Probius

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 14, 2014, 07:26:43 AM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on May 14, 2014, 06:47:57 AM
Then it is horizontal...circular and deficient to handle life. A materialist interior life makes you an autominton...a cipher...a bag of chemicals ...no more significant than a common garden slug. In fact the slug is at least living its true nature. You are not. Question...are you married? Do you have Children. Have you ever experienced a profound tragedy in your life. Are you older than 25?

I reject materialism, as I said above.  I am not speaking of a materialist interior life.  I am not married, I do not have children, I have experienced a profound tragedy, I am 33 years old.

voxxpopulisuxx

If your interior life isnt supernatural then it must be based soley on matter in motion or biochemistry...ie materialism. Woyld you be willing to share your tragedy? When I was 13 my older brother was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was 16.

911!

Probius

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on May 14, 2014, 10:27:12 AM
If your interior life isnt supernatural then it must be based soley on matter in motion or biochemistry...ie materialism. Woyld you be willing to share your tragedy? When I was 13 my older brother was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was 16.

It would be a mistake to equate naturalism with materialism, they are not the same thing.  I am a naturalist, but I am not a materialist.  I thought I was a materialist for quite a while, but I recently came to the conclusion that it is false.

I'm sorry about your older brother, I know that was a tough loss.  I lost my grandmother 6 1/2 years ago.  She was basically my third parent and was very close to me, I spent much of my childhood at her house.  I stayed at her house a lot while my parents were busy with the family business.  A great deal of my philosophy comes from her, she was very much in the mold of Ayn Rand.