Humility: Good or Bad?

Started by Probius, October 12, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Probius

Quote from: james03 on April 22, 2014, 12:51:49 PM
What he says about the mind is that it does not exist.  Therefore the ability to be owed can not exist.  Therefore trading value for value is meaningless.  That is the necessary conclusion, and doesn't depend on what you like.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that is not what I have gotten from his videos.  He seems to be trying to de-mystify the mind, but not deny it.  Why do you say that he denies the mind?
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

Probius

Quote from: james03 on April 22, 2014, 12:54:39 PM
QuoteWhat is materialistic eliminativism?  Will you please define this term?
That at the end of the day we are just neutrons, protons, and electrons.  Therefore it is foolish to believe in love, beauty, justice, trading value for value, living, "bettering yourself", the mind, intentionalism, or any other kind of virtue or transcendental immaterial concept.  In a word, it is atheism.

Why do you say neutrons, protons, and electrons?  By this do you mean only matter?
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

rbjmartin

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 22, 2014, 12:48:54 PM
I don't know all of Dennett's philosophy, but I like what he has to say on the mind.  I don't know if he is right or not, but he is interesting.

So once again, we see you basing your opinions on whim. You reveal it in your word choice. "I like," "I prefer," "he is interesting," etc. but nothing about whether certain ideas are true or false. In fact, you seem to view that as a peripheral concern.

This is why it's pointless for you to take the "Catholic challenge" or pray the "atheist's prayer"; you have no interest in the truth. In which case, you really are wasting everyone's time here, and simply out of consideration, you should consider leaving and not coming back until you gain an interest in the truth. That's all we care about as Catholics.

Probius

Quote from: rbjmartin on April 22, 2014, 12:56:45 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 22, 2014, 12:48:54 PM
I don't know all of Dennett's philosophy, but I like what he has to say on the mind.  I don't know if he is right or not, but he is interesting.

So once again, we see you basing your opinions on whim. You reveal it in your word choice. "I like," "I prefer," "he is interesting," etc. but nothing about whether certain ideas are true or false. In fact, you seem to view that as a peripheral concern.

This is why it's pointless for you to take the "Catholic challenge" or pray the "atheist's prayer"; you have no interest in the truth. In which case, you really are wasting everyone's time here, and simply out of consideration, you should consider leaving and not coming back until you gain an interest in the truth. That's all we care about as Catholics.

I don't base any opinions on Dennett.  The great thing about philosophy is that I can listen to a philosopher without accepting everything he says.  I am interested in his theory on the mind, but I don't know enough yet to accept or reject it.

james03

But you know enough to reject God?
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Probius

Quote from: james03 on April 22, 2014, 01:19:43 PM
But you know enough to reject God?

I don't know enough to judge Dennett's theory of the mind as of yet, but I do know enough to reject God, yes.

james03

QuoteI'm not saying you are wrong, but that is not what I have gotten from his videos.  He seems to be trying to de-mystify the mind, but not deny it.  Why do you say that he denies the mind?
Because he denies what is the common meaning of the term "mind".  He says there is only one transcription, and then just a bunch of chemical/electrical reactions.  That is it.  He is a consistent eliminativist.  Chemical/electrical reactions don't have justice, or value, or virtue, or even life.  In a word, that is atheism.

And he fails at demystifying anything, contradicting himself with a talk of an agent, "you", and saying: we are making progress.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

james03

QuoteI don't know enough to judge Dennett's theory of the mind as of yet, but I do know enough to reject God, yes.

But if God does not exist, then Dennett's heretofore undetailed theory has to be right.  Or to be precise, eliminativism has to be correct.  But you say that we can trade value for value.  However your rejection means that "value" can not exist. 

But in reality you don't reject God, you just refuse to accept him.  So you spend your time whining thinking it will get you off the hook when judgement comes.  "It's not my fault!!".  It won't help at all, in fact it will be worse for you in hell.

Probius

Quote from: james03 on April 22, 2014, 01:25:09 PM
QuoteI'm not saying you are wrong, but that is not what I have gotten from his videos.  He seems to be trying to de-mystify the mind, but not deny it.  Why do you say that he denies the mind?
Because he denies what is the common meaning of the term "mind".  He says there is only one transcription, and then just a bunch of chemical/electrical reactions.  That is it.  He is a consistent eliminativist.  Chemical/electrical reactions don't have justice, or value, or virtue, or even life.  In a word, that is atheism.

And he fails at demystifying anything, contradicting himself with a talk of an agent, "you", and saying: we are making progress.

When he speaks of the brain, he is speaking of "you."  "You" are brain and body combined.

Probius

Quote from: james03 on April 22, 2014, 01:34:43 PM
QuoteI don't know enough to judge Dennett's theory of the mind as of yet, but I do know enough to reject God, yes.

But if God does not exist, then Dennett's heretofore undetailed theory has to be right.  Or to be precise, eliminativism has to be correct.  But you say that we can trade value for value.  However your rejection means that "value" can not exist. 

But in reality you don't reject God, you just refuse to accept him.  So you spend your time whining thinking it will get you off the hook when judgement comes.  "It's not my fault!!".  It won't help at all, in fact it will be worse for you in hell.

I do not whine, and I do accept value.  If there is a God, I shall make no excuses, instead I shall accept whatever is my fate with dignity.  The concept of value is not necessarily tied to the concept of God.  Anything which furthers life has value.

james03

There is no dignity in hell.  As far as life, according to a consistent atheism, it does not exist.  For that matter, dignity can not exist.  As far as "you" being the brain, you are correct.  It is just a material clump that is part of the body.  There is no mind, no concepts, just nihilism.

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 22, 2014, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 22, 2014, 10:15:55 AM
But some are weak and we are not to condemn them for it as nutzo rand asserts. If we are prosperous because we worked hard and were just and honest...that does not mean we get to judge and dismiss those who were weak and because of it did not prosper. Jesus defined all the laws of moses as only 2 commands..Love God (humility) and your neighbor as if he was yourself ( more humility)...all good socioty and true justice flow from these truths...rand the rancid rejected this.

First, insults are not necessary.  Second, Miss Rand never said any such thing.  She was perfectly fine with charity, so long as it was not seen as a virtue in itself.  (By charity I mean giving alms to the poor)  She wanted everyone to love each other, but not to use others as ends.
according to the lunatic ayne rand insults can be very necessary.
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Non Nobis

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 22, 2014, 12:58:58 PMThe great thing about philosophy is that I can listen to a philosopher without accepting everything he says.  .

"Philosophy" comes from the Greek for "love of wisdom". Do you believe in wisdom, or in truth?  These are things outside yourself that exist whether or not you accept them or are interested in them. They are not best obtained by "dabbling" in whatever appeals to you.

If I were an atheist I hope I would recognize that throughout all history the belief in God has been thought to be the greatest wisdom.  I would not stop studying about God (and even arguing) instead of dabbling in one little philosopher after another.  If God is truth what a waste of life to pass Him by.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Probius

Quote from: Non Nobis on April 22, 2014, 07:31:23 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 22, 2014, 12:58:58 PMThe great thing about philosophy is that I can listen to a philosopher without accepting everything he says.  .

"Philosophy" comes from the Greek for "love of wisdom". Do you believe in wisdom, or in truth?  These are things outside yourself that exist whether or not you accept them or are interested in them. They are not best obtained by "dabbling" in whatever appeals to you.

If I were an atheist I hope I would recognize that throughout all history the belief in God has been thought to be the greatest wisdom.  I would not stop studying about God (and even arguing) instead of dabbling in one little philosopher after another.  If God is truth what a waste of life to pass Him by.

I love wisdom and truth, and I am interested in Objectivism because it exists in reality.  I am still here because I still want to argue about God.

Probius

Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 22, 2014, 06:27:15 PM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 22, 2014, 12:13:17 PM
Quote from: voxxpopulisuxx on April 22, 2014, 10:15:55 AM
But some are weak and we are not to condemn them for it as nutzo rand asserts. If we are prosperous because we worked hard and were just and honest...that does not mean we get to judge and dismiss those who were weak and because of it did not prosper. Jesus defined all the laws of moses as only 2 commands..Love God (humility) and your neighbor as if he was yourself ( more humility)...all good socioty and true justice flow from these truths...rand the rancid rejected this.

First, insults are not necessary.  Second, Miss Rand never said any such thing.  She was perfectly fine with charity, so long as it was not seen as a virtue in itself.  (By charity I mean giving alms to the poor)  She wanted everyone to love each other, but not to use others as ends.
according to the lunatic ayne rand insults can be very necessary.

Ayn Rand did not say that insults are necessary.  By the way, proper nouns are capitalized.  I capitalize the name of God, the least you could do is capitalize Miss Rand's name.