Humility: Good or Bad?

Started by Probius, October 12, 2013, 08:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertJS

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 16, 2014, 04:54:26 PM

Quote from: GloriaPatri on December 24, 2013, 10:47:21 AM
To answer the OP (I have no interest in the current discussion on this thread): It depends what you mean by humility. Abject debasement of the self is not humility. Recognizing that you're not the be-all-end-all of existence is. Thus I would say humility is good. It gives one the opportunity to learn from others, rather than simply thinking that others are beneath them. And there is a healthy sense of pride, like pride in one's work or in one's family, heritage, etc. But like all things it must be in moderation.

I understand what you are saying, and you make good points.  I think the terms self interest and self sacrifice work better.  Do you think a man should sacrifice his own interests for the sake of others or God?  If so, why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humility is truth, logic & reason, and going with it....no matter where it leads.

You don't do that, Crimson.

ideo mittit illis Deus operationem erroris ut credant mendacio

Probius

I love truth and will follow truth wherever it leads.  That is being rational, not self-sacrificing.

You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

JuniorCouncilor

Is this really a thread on a trad Catholic board?  What is going on?

Probius

Quote from: JuniorCouncilor on April 16, 2014, 09:17:07 PM

I was in the traditional movement for a while, but no longer have the faith.  I have been talking with folks on here trying to clarify some things.
You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection." - The Buddha

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate." - Carl Jung

voxxpopulisuxx

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 16, 2014, 08:07:50 PM
I love truth and will follow truth wherever it leads.  That is being rational, not self-sacrificing.

if you love truth you would still be catholic
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

lauermar

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on October 12, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
Louis IX and Gerard, we can pick up where we left off here.

I'll start by stating that humility is bad and I prefer pride.  Humility is anti-humanistic, while pride is a wonderful virtue that celebrates man qua man.

I hope you don't mean this. Seriously. If this is a joke, it isn't funny. Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins. This is what caused Lucifer's fall like lightning from the sky. Whoever dies while in this state will suffer eternal fire. Humility is the antidote to pride. I hope you see a priest about this.

So since you love the truth and follow where it leads, let's put that to the test. Read the link below.

http://www.catholicbible101.com/7deadlysins.htm

Anarchy is *not* true freedom nor liberty, it is slavery. Pope Emeritus Benedict rejects the voluntaristic understanding of freedom current in the West, i.e., that freedom means an absence of external constraints on behavior. Instead, he accepts a classic theleological view, according to which freedom means the free choice to become the kind of person God intends. From this point of view, it is not an exercise in "liberty" to choose a mode of life that is inconsistent with natural law, but "anarchy."
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

lauermar

My thoughts exactly. Holy Thursday has begun. Hello.

:ghost1:
"I am not a pessimist. I am not an optimist. I am a realist." Father Malachi Martin (1921-1999)

Probius

Quote from: lauermar on April 17, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

I'll start by stating that humility is bad and I prefer pride.  Humility is anti-humanistic, while pride is a wonderful virtue that celebrates man qua man.

I hope you don't mean this. Seriously. If this is a joke, it isn't funny. Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins. This is what caused Lucifer's fall like lightning from the sky. Whoever dies while in this state will suffer eternal fire. Humility is the antidote to pride. I hope you see a priest about this.

So since you love the truth and follow where it leads, let's put that to the test. Read the link below.

Anarchy is *not* true freedom nor liberty, it is slavery. Pope Emeritus Benedict rejects the voluntaristic understanding of freedom current in the West, i.e., that freedom means an absence of external constraints on behavior. Instead, he accepts a classic theleological view, according to which freedom means the free choice to become the kind of person God intends. From this point of view, it is not an exercise in "liberty" to choose a mode of life that is inconsistent with natural law, but "anarchy."

I've come to realize that we are not using the same definitions.

Probius

Quote from: lauermar on April 17, 2014, 07:35:12 AM

I shall be at the Easter mass with my family.  I couldn't imagine not being there, it is very enjoyable.  I love Easter time.

Larry

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 17, 2014, 08:16:02 AM

I shall be at the Easter mass with my family.  I couldn't imagine not being there, it is very enjoyable.  I love Easter time.

CF, what do you think of the Shroud of Turin? This is a good time of year to meditate on it.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

lauermar

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 17, 2014, 08:14:28 AM

Quote from: lauermar on April 17, 2014, 07:32:20 AM

I've come to realize that we are not using the same definitions.

That is correct. You are using your own definition of pride and not the Catholic church's. Nor are you following Benedict's ideas about anarchy. Apparently you are wiser than the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.  I hope you plan to go to confession soon about this pride problem. It would be better if you don't present yourself for communion on Sunday. Delay until you have spoken to a priest. Seriously.

I have been to the real shroud of Turin in Italy. They rarely take it out for viewing after so many decades have passed. I visited only a month after His Holiness was there.

I believe my restoration to the Catholic faith began there.

Probius

Well, I have an intense curiosity and I cannot accept what others tell me.  I have a real need to know for myself.

Probius

Quote from: Larry on April 17, 2014, 08:17:36 AM
Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 17, 2014, 08:16:02 AM

CF, what do you think of the Shroud of Turin? This is a good time of year to meditate on it.

The scientific tests have been inconclusive.  If it is real, it would just be a natural item with sentimental value attached to it.  It doesn't take on special qualities if Jesus used it.  It would still be very cool if it turns out to be true.

lauermar

You're not curious about what the church says about anything. The only thing you pay heed to is atheists, humanists, and agnostics.

Miriam_M

Quote from: Crimson Flyboy on April 17, 2014, 08:39:19 AM
Well, I have an intense curiosity and I cannot accept what others tell me.  I have a real need to know for myself.

Then why believe Jesus is risen?