Ladies love Yankee boys

Started by Wicked Papist, May 03, 2014, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked Papist

Mainstream country is pretty much awash these days with songs about Protestantism, sex, and how much better the South/Midwest is than everyone else.  I was thinking that it's time for the people in the South and Midwest to be knocked down a few pegs, since they pretty much come off as stuck-up and arrogant.

What's great about Yankees (not the team)?  Any thoughts?

Here's a few of mine.

We're not still fighting the Civil War.
We didn't need our butts kicked to get rid of slavery up here.
We don't urinate in the parking lot.
We actually produce music worth listening to (seriously, mainstream country is so bad that they have their own awards show).

verenaerin

Apparently the racism and modesty thread weren't enough. Is it a full moon?

Wicked Papist

Quote from: verenaerin on May 03, 2014, 09:24:26 PM

Not up here, in the North.

I didn't see the thread you speak of.  This thread was an idea I had rattling around in my head for a few weeks.

Lydia Purpuraria

I am a Midwesterner, but I do absolutely LOVE the U.P. of Michigan.  So the North does have that going for it ;)!

verenaerin

Quote from: Wicked Papist on May 03, 2014, 09:26:15 PM
Quote from: verenaerin on May 03, 2014, 09:24:26 PM

Not up here, in the North.

I didn't see the thread you speak of.  This thread was an idea I had rattling around in my head for a few weeks.

One of the threads was already locked, the other didn't turn out too bad. Though bringing up the civil war is just asking for trouble. Perhaps you should make another list on positive aspects of Northerners, besides the fact that we don't pee in parking lots.

There are some country songs I like, but as you mentioned, they are so incredibly self- referential, it's kinda ridiculous.

Wicked Papist

Actually I did cut the list at the last minute, before you posted.  I commented on "y'all," the terrible Southern accent, the rudeness Yankees get down there from strangers, and a few other things.

Maximilian

Quote from: Wicked Papist on May 03, 2014, 09:38:54 PM
I commented on "y'all," the terrible Southern accent, the rudeness Yankees get down there from strangers,

Good thing you cut those parts. The South has done a service for the English language by providing a second-person plural pronoun which it has been lacking for several hundred years.

Regarding rudeness, I am a Northerner who has spent a lot of time in the South on business in recent years. I have encountered mostly politeness and kindness. There have been a few exceptions, but nothing like what I have seen in places like Philadelphia and Detroit.

Also, and this might be a surprise to those who have no real life experience, the racial relations are much better down South. Blacks and whites get along much better, and they are much more integrated together. Northern attitudes about race in the South are nothing but the most bare-faced hypocrisy.

Chestertonian

back when I was a mere mortal (and not part cyborg  :P) I liked the North because you could get a decent bagel, and good pizza.  Well, I guess that is mostly the New York area, but then again I often forget there are other parts of the country besides where I am.

I do not like country music (bluegrass is a different thing). 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Wicked Papist

Quote from: Maximilian on May 03, 2014, 10:09:08 PM
Quote from: Wicked Papist on May 03, 2014, 09:38:54 PM
I commented on "y'all," the terrible Southern accent, the rudeness Yankees get down there from strangers,

Good thing you cut those parts. The South has done a service for the English language by providing a second-person plural pronoun which it has been lacking for several hundred years.

Regarding rudeness, I am a Northerner who has spent a lot of time in the South on business in recent years. I have encountered mostly politeness and kindness. There have been a few exceptions, but nothing like what I have seen in places like Philadelphia and Detroit.

Also, and this might be a surprise to those who have no real life experience, the racial relations are much better down South. Blacks and whites get along much better, and they are much more integrated together. Northern attitudes about race in the South are nothing but the most bare-faced hypocrisy.

Everyone I know who has been to the South has at least one or two stories about how rude complete strangers were to them, just as soon as they heard their Northern accents.  No one ever complained about black people, though, who were always polite and friendly to them.

Once my parents were treated so badly in Georgia that my mother, to this day, refuses to stop anywhere in the state.  If the car breaks down in Georgia, she's getting out and walking to South Carolina or Florida (whichever is closer).

Kaesekopf

No, actually, the midwest is pretty awesome.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Wicked Papist

Quote from: Kaesekopf on May 03, 2014, 10:34:38 PM
No, actually, the midwest is pretty awesome.

Said no one un-ironically, ever.

Maximilian

Quote from: Wicked Papist on May 03, 2014, 10:33:43 PM

Everyone I know who has been to the South ...

Ah, so you are admitting that your accusations against an entire region of the country are not based on any first hand experience. Before you start criticizing people, at least get to know them yourself. That's a good way to avoid rash judgments.

Wicked Papist

Quote from: Maximilian on May 03, 2014, 10:44:00 PM
Quote from: Wicked Papist on May 03, 2014, 10:33:43 PM

Everyone I know who has been to the South ...

Ah, so you are admitting that your accusations against an entire region of the country are not based on any first hand experience. Before you start criticizing people, at least get to know them yourself. That's a good way to avoid rash judgments.

1. I have experienced rudeness from white Southerners on the basis of being Yankee.

2. I speak of myself and people whom I know well enough to be reliable.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Wicked Papist on May 03, 2014, 09:21:04 PM
We don't urinate in the parking lot.

Well, la-di-dah! Ain't y'all fancy?  :lol:

Wicked Papist