Random art topic

Started by Othmar, August 21, 2013, 02:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Othmar

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 23, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
Why do people dig Monet and Van Gogh?(were they impressionists?) Their stuff looks like the works of a kindergarten finger painting class. Maybe its just me but I like renaissance and the 19th century Romantic era and the pre-Raphaelites.
I just had an exam on these guys. They skipped the finishing stages, and experimented with new techniques and idea (e.g. Chevreul's colour theory). I get the impression most of them wanted to make, but I feel that they still should have finished it properly. Impression, Sunrise seems very much like an unfinished work of Turner, I think. There have been a lot of interesting experiments, and they just should've been 'ported' back to traditional art.

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Othmar on August 24, 2013, 04:38:22 AM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 23, 2013, 04:56:33 PM
Why do people dig Monet and Van Gogh?(were they impressionists?) Their stuff looks like the works of a kindergarten finger painting class. Maybe its just me but I like renaissance and the 19th century Romantic era and the pre-Raphaelites.
I just had an exam on these guys. They skipped the finishing stages, and experimented with new techniques and idea (e.g. Chevreul's colour theory). I get the impression most of them wanted to make, but I feel that they still should have finished it properly. Impression, Sunrise seems very much like an unfinished work of Turner, I think. There have been a lot of interesting experiments, and they just should've been 'ported' back to traditional art.

Yes yes yes, that is exactly it! They seem unfinished. Now, how to explain that Picasso trash.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Othmar

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 25, 2013, 12:05:21 AM
Yes yes yes, that is exactly it! They seem unfinished. Now, how to explain that Picasso trash.
You mean the guy who painted this at the beginning of his career?  ;)

Der Kaiser

Quote from: Othmar on August 25, 2013, 01:15:51 AM

Oh mein Gott, I had no idea. What the hades happened to him!?
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Othmar

Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 25, 2013, 03:13:48 AM

He was 14 or 15 when he painted that. I suppose he got influenced by other modern painters. I remember that he later stated he "could draw like the Masters as a child", and it "took him a lifetime to learn to paint like children".

voxxpopulisuxx

Id say he lost his mind...fell deeply into worldlyness and love of adulation and celebrity....realizing he could make millions for scribble why work so hard.....imo
Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.

Larry

Quote from: Othmar on August 25, 2013, 04:28:07 AM
Quote from: Der Kaiser on August 25, 2013, 03:13:48 AM

He was 14 or 15 when he painted that. I suppose he got influenced by other modern painters. I remember that he later stated he "could draw like the Masters as a child", and it "took him a lifetime to learn to paint like children".

I'm amazed that this is by the same Picasso who did some of those crazy paintings in his later years. This is beautiful. I admit I like some of the use of color in his later work, but most of it is just gobbledygook.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Habitual_Ritual

Bouguereau and Repin are awesome. The Art Renewal center is attempting to bring back classical skill and standards to art education in the manner of these guys.

I also like this guy,adolf hiremy-hirschl :

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Habitual_Ritual

Arthur Hacker- And There Was A Great Cry In Egypt:

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

Habitual_Ritual

A contemporary work by Thomas Blackshear

Habitual_Ritual

Pascal Adolphe Dagnan-Bouveret - Consolatrix Afflictorum

Habitual_Ritual

Carlo Frithjof Smith  - Communion

voxxpopulisuxx

Lord Jesus Christ Most High Son of God have Mercy On Me a Sinner (Jesus Prayer)

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." – Christopher Columbus
911!
"Let my name stand among those who are willing to bear ridicule and reproach for the truth's sake, and so earn some right to rejoice when the victory is won. "— Louisa May Alcott

"From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world."St. Arnold (580-640)

Geocentrism holds no possible atheistic downside.