Poll: How do you respond when your parents order you to do something sinful?

Started by Maximilian, April 09, 2022, 08:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximilian

I posted this on another thread, and I thought it might be interesting to make it into a poll:

How do you respond if your parent orders you to do something gravely immoral?
(e.g. you are a girl and your parents tell you to have an abortion)

1. You don't obey them in this particular incident, but you continue to obey them in everything else.

2. You don't obey them in this particular incident, but you continue to obey them in everything else. Except now you no longer trust their judgment, so going forward you will examine whatever they say, and you pick and choose which ones are considered worthy of obedience.

3. You decide that once someone has ordered you to do something gravely immoral, they are no longer your parent. You no longer recognize the parental authority of someone who told you to have an abortion.

The answers correspond to:

1. The indult people.
2. Recognize-and-resist (i.e. SSPX).
3. Sedevacantists (the parental seat is vacant).

For the poll, I added a fourth option, which corresponds to the Novus Ordo.

TerrorDæmonum

I look to exercise the virtue of obedience, and all the theology necessary is in that post.

In short, one can never obey a command to do something evil. This does not generally negate authority otherwise, but since the question has been mired in ecclesiastical politics, I won't respond to that specifically, as this has nothing to do with liturgy or the sacred. It is strictly a matter of doing good and avoiding evil, a moral matter.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Baylee

This poll is inaccurate.  The SV position is not about "immoral" commands. 

Kent

The bad parent analogy is question-begging. The point of dispute is whether the person in question is, in fact, your parent (pope).

I do profess to be no less than I seem, to serve him truly
that will put me in trust, to love him that is honest, to
converse with him that is wise and says little, to fear
judgment, to fight when I cannot choose, and to eat no fish.

dellery

Out of all the stuff I post about this is what starts a conversation with you nerds?

QuoteIf your Dad tells you to do something you cannot morally comply with this doesn't mean he isn't your dad any more, and it doesn't mean that he loses all of his authority as your Dad, or that you have to act belligerently toward him or hold a grudge against him. In a situation as previously described, you respectfully do not comply with whatever immoral thing your Dad wants you to do and you resist any incoming pressure to do so, while still loving and respecting him.

You've got to be kidding.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Prayerful

Quote from: Heinrich on April 09, 2022, 12:06:46 PM
I am 52; my parents are dead.

May they RIP.

I am a bit younger (by a decade and a little bit) so hope mine live for more years. My Dad's bachelor farmer oldest brother (of 10) is 99. and half his siblings are gone and the third youngest made 80 despite farmer's lung and a deal of weight. My Dad's a practical man and his wife and my mother would forbid any straying from the narrow road.

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

TrendyWeb1

Quote from: Maximilian on April 09, 2022, 08:42:47 AM
I posted this on another thread, and I thought it might be interesting to make it into a poll:

1. You don't obey them in this particular incident, but you continue to obey them in everything else.

2. You don't obey them in this particular incident, but you continue to obey them in everything else. Except now you no longer trust their judgment, so going forward you will examine whatever they say, and you pick and choose which ones are considered worthy of obedience.

3. You decide that once someone has ordered you to do something gravely immoral, they are no longer your parent. You no longer recognize the parental authority of someone who told you to have an abortion.

1. The indult people.

I didn't read this bit and thought you were talking about venial sins and picked one.  :P
"If anyone in word and mind does not properly and truly confess according to the holy Fathers all even to the last portion that which has been handed down and preached in the holy, Catholic, and apostolic Church of God...let him be anathema." -- Pope Martin I, The Lateran Council (649)

Heinrich

Quote from: TrendyWeb1 on April 09, 2022, 09:44:58 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on April 09, 2022, 08:42:47 AM

1. The indult people.

I didn't read this bit and thought you were talking about venial sins and picked one.  :P

Yeah
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

mikemac

Quote from: Heinrich on April 09, 2022, 12:06:46 PM
I am 52; my parents are dead.

Mine too.  So I'd be shocked if my parents order me to do anything.  :)
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

queen.saints

For most of my life I've always been very much in the option 3 category, just in general for different situations, for instance, people you find out are amoral etc, not as a sedevacantist.

Lately, though, I'm still mostly that way, but I don't have the same moral conviction about it. I wonder if there is a truly supernatural 5th option I'm not seeing.

If your parent told you to get an abortion for most of us it would be options, 1-4, but I wonder if a saint would see things differently.
I am sorry for the times I have publicly criticized others on this forum, especially traditional Catholic religious, and any other scandalous posts and pray that no one reads or believes these false and ignorant statements.