The Church Courtyard > Catholic Liturgical Life

The Eastern Catholic Liturgical Experience Among Romans

(1/3) > >>

Pæniteo:
On a few threads, mention was made of the Eastern Churches and there is evident a general lack of familiarity with them with many Latins. This is to be expected (after all, there is a reason for the distinction), but with the Internet and the diversity we may live in, we may have a range of experiences.

Roland Deschain:
Back in the early 2000's I attended a Ruthenian parish for about 2 years to escape the NO. That experience prompted me into a full study of the Byzantine Patrimony and spirituality. I still attend on some holy days if I can't get to the TLM.

The important thing to remember is that the differences run deeper then just the Liturgy. The entire theological perspective, spirituality and approach to the Christian Mystery is somewhat different compared to how things developed in the West.

An overly simplified way of looking at this could be:

The West emphasizes Christ's Humanity, the East His Divinity.
The West emphasizes the Cross, the East His Resurrection.
The West focuses on Christ as victim and vicarious sacrifice for sin, the East sees Christ first off as the Conqueror of Death.
The West emphasizes satisfaction and merit, the East emphasizes theosis, sharing in the Divine Nature.
The West has very precise theology as exemplified in Scholasticism, the East takes a more mystical, experience based approach to understanding theology.
The Roman Rite is more austere and precise whereas the Byzantine Liturgy uses very flowery language and a lot of movement, singing, bowing etc during the Liturgy.

These are very simplified points of difference. It is important to note that these approaches are complimentary, not contradictory. The true beauty of our Faith is shown in the different schools of theology that the Church holds as perfectly orthodox.

This is a great youtube channel to learn more about the Eastern Church. This is a Ukrainian parish in Ontario. It is probably the most authentically Eastern parish around:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tsyhan

Melkite:

--- Quote from: Roland Deschain on January 02, 2013, 06:25:57 AM ---The West emphasizes Christ's Humanity, the East His Divinity.
The West emphasizes the Cross, the East His Resurrection.
The West focuses on Christ as victim and vicarious sacrifice for sin, the East sees Christ first off as the Conqueror of Death.
The West emphasizes satisfaction and merit, the East emphasizes theosis, sharing in the Divine Nature.
The West has very precise theology as exemplified in Scholasticism, the East takes a more mystical, experience based approach to understanding theology.
The Roman Rite is more austere and precise whereas the Byzantine Liturgy uses very flowery language and a lot of movement, singing, bowing etc during the Liturgy.

--- End quote ---

This is a very good way of describing.  Putting my bias for the East aside, I think I can objectively say I would be spiritually dead without the Eastern perspective available to me.  Each of these points (except for maybe the last one) are things without which I could not see myself being a faithful Catholic for very long.

Pæniteo:

--- Quote from: Melkite on January 03, 2013, 05:54:13 PM ---This is a very good way of describing.  Putting my bias for the East aside, I think I can objectively say I would be spiritually dead without the Eastern perspective available to me.  Each of these points (except for maybe the last one) are things without which I could not see myself being a faithful Catholic for very long.

--- End quote ---

But, something I noticed, is that when moves inward, towards the interior life, there is no difference. If one only sees externals, one can be misled.

St. Thomas is regarded for this writing on theology, but that is not why he is venerated. His virtue and devotion was what was extraordinary, not just his learning.

Kaesekopf:
I attended a Ukrainian Catholic liturgy in Kiev, Ukraine.  It was pretty and nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version