Is it ok to do these things?

Started by TandJ, May 12, 2021, 11:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TandJ

There's a lot of things on YouTube I find myself watching out of boredom or curiosity such as police shoot out videos, animal attack videos, people doing dumb dangerous things etc... on one had I feel it's ok because I can't think of why it would be sinful, but there's always a nagging suspicion. What do you all say?

Melkor

I watch dumb stuff on YouTube all the time. Dirt bike fails, street fights, tarantula watering(which is crazy, check it out).  As long as it's not explicitly sinful in itself, go for it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

TandJ

Yeah when I felt guilty I had to stop and ask myself. What sin is it? And is this a proximate occasion for me to commit these things. No to both... probably just over analyzing this. I did however go to confession yesterday finally and I guess that's why I'm anxious because I hope I'm still in a state of grace to receive my Easter communion this Sunday :)

Melkor

You made the confession. You are good to go. Don't think about, trust in God and the priest.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Miriam_M

TandJ,
I'm going to give you the same advice we give to our friend Daniel: Find one confessor whom you trust and have a decent rapport with, and explain how you question everything you do and often consult Catholic discussion forums to examine every decision and behavior of yours. Tell the confessor that you may be scrupulous and need his help.  Use only him as your confessor.

Regarding your question:
We are allowed to indulge in occasional recreation that does not interfere with our State in Life (parent, occupation, etc.).  So, baby is crying but we prefer to finish watching our video: No.  But, we've completed our job responsibilities for the day or are on a lunch break, and we wish to indulge some offbeat but not immoral or sinfully tempting pleasure: Acceptable, in moderation.

Each person can only judge for himself whether particular pleasures disturb his soul, lead him away from God, or lead him into a particular vice or Capital Sin. I used to have much more of a tolerance for violence on TV, just as I used to have much more tolerance for filtering dishonest or troubling political news from the truth.  Since my sensitivities have changed, prudence dictates that I limit my exposure to the latter two occasions because otherwise I will become irritable at others or drift into a melancholy that separates me from others and from God.

For other people, they might be tempted to gluttony -- yes, really -- by watching the Food Network, and if gluttony is a real problem for them and they know what tempts them into that vice, they could be guilty of venial sin by deliberately watching something that they know is an occasion of sin for them, but only if they act on that temptation -- not merely for watching the program and not acting on it.

So if viewing the images you talk about tempts you to immoderation such as explosive Anger or serious Sloth, then you should avoid such temptations ("near occasions").  But if it's merely a harmless, eccentric attraction, then please stop worrying.

We should all remember that too much of any indulgence can waste our time that would be better used in something constructive. We are called to moderation, not asceticism, unless we are vowed  contemplatives.

DigitalLogos

I guess it could fall into the category of morbid curiosity, which isn't a sin itself, but could lead to a desensitization to these things. I personally like to watch car crash videos from time to time, but don't find myself any less shocked when an actual wreck occurs.

I second the advice to find a good priest to ask these questions to.
"The Heart of Jesus is closer to you when you suffer, than when you are full of joy." - St. Margaret Mary Alacoque

Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation. - Ps. 145:2-3

"For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables." - 2 Timothy 4:3-4

TandJ

Well guess my Easter communion will be postponed until I can get there again

Daniel

I would say it could potentially be sinful in two ways:

1.) It's a waste of time. Your time would be better spent doing something uplifting or productive (such as a hobby, or watching videos about the faith and other edifying topics).

2.) By watching police shootouts, animals attacking people, and people doing dangerous stuff, you are desensitizing yourself. This is bad. And worse: you may begin to find yourself amused by these things, and this amusement would be contrary to charity.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: TandJ on May 12, 2021, 03:52:04 PM
Well guess my Easter communion will be postponed until I can get there again

Unless you skipped work or neglected your family by watching these videos, I would not postpone the Easter Communion.  Nothing you said betrays grave matter.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Melkor

Quote from: Daniel on May 12, 2021, 03:56:40 PM
I would say it could potentially be sinful in two ways:

1.) It's a waste of time. Your time would be better spent doing something uplifting or productive (such as a hobby, or watching videos about the faith and other edifying topics).

2.) By watching police shootouts, animals attacking people, and people doing dangerous stuff, you are desensitizing yourself. This is bad. And worse: you may begin to find yourself amused by these things, and this amusement would be contrary to charity.

Yeah...but we are talking about venial sins at best, faults most likely.

Tennessean

If you need to be entertained so much so often maybe your brain is nagging you to lay off? Simple as that, no need to suspect you are sinning.

If you are habitually bored, that can lead to problems. People do stupid stuff when they are bored, because idle hands are the devil's playground. Don't go starting fires, ok?

TandJ

Well I suppose I do try to keep myself entertained so that I don't think about my scrupulosity issue. If I read spiritual things or pray the worse it gets. So these things are like a drug I guess

Tennessean

Drugs and laughing at stupid stuff aren't like each other. Reading isn't necessarily an antidote, that's another form of entertainment (if you don't want to read don't, why make something that should be enjoyable arduous). Just go be alone with yourself in a quiet room for a few minutes if your mind is bugging you to stop soaking up so much stuff.

drummerboy

The only danger I see would be wasting time, a mindless youtube binge here and there can be a great de-stressor; but every day, when there's other and better things to do?  The saints would have something to say on that.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Daniel

Quote from: Melkor on May 12, 2021, 04:57:04 PM
Yeah...but we are talking about venial sins at best, faults most likely.

Probably. However, it seems to border on sinning against the fifth coimmandmanet... and I thought to sin against any of the ten commandments was automatically a mortal sin?