I got a dog

Started by Jayne, April 16, 2021, 06:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayne

This is a big deal.  I had a bad experience with the poorly trained family dog of my childhood and have spent the last 50 years thinking that I would never get one.  However, I ended up deciding that it would help my two young adult children who are still at home.  The emotional stress of lockdowns, etc. was clearly getting to them and I wanted to do something more to help them cope.

We knew we wanted an adult dog and found just what we were looking for.  She is a 7 year old German Shepherd mix that needed to be re-homed.  The weird thing is that I am bonding with her even though I have spent my life so resolved against having a dog.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Melkor

Good for you! Dogs are amazing creatures, they live to please us it seems. Looks like you've been missing out for most of your life.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Bernadette

I love having dogs, but don't have the personality necessary to train them. So that's my aunt's job. We're probably not going to have another after Charlotte, our hound mix, dies. My aunt has always had a dog or two, and she says she's getting too old to take care of one, and wants the freedom of not having a pet. I don't think that will last long, but we'll see.
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

red solo cup

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/studies-show-owning-dog-connected-to-living-longer/

In return for living longer you should give it a name that's great and noble.  Something Germanic. Heindrich comes to mind. :)
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jayne

Quote from: red solo cup on April 16, 2021, 09:20:27 AM
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/studies-show-owning-dog-connected-to-living-longer/

In return for living longer you should give it a name that's great and noble.  Something Germanic. Heindrich comes to mind. :)

I happen to know that Heinrich (the one posting to this forum) strongly disapproves of giving male names to females.   ;D

Since we got an adult dog she came with a name and we did not change it, although I heard that is possible.  We have, however, given her a personal Latin motto, "Sciuri delendi sunt."
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

james03

German Shepherds are strong pack animals.  If you aren't the leader he/she will become the leader.  Make sure your husband gives it a whack from time to time to show it who is boss.  Otherwise you'll be giving it away in a year.

But once you do that, German Shepherds are fantastic dogs.  Kids can bite its ear and ride around on it and it will think it's great.  But if it senses danger, it will protect everyone.  Great dogs if you raise them right.  They also need some rough house play and running around.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Melkor

Yes they are strong willed animals. Gotta show them who's in charge once in a while. But very good family dogs.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Heinrich

Get a good, or better,  vacuum. We have a German Shepherd and vacuum at least five times a week. The canister is emptied each time. Then again, we have a pit bull, chihuahua and three cats.

Do you have a crate for her? Keep her away from the French speakers. 😂
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

I have always lived with dogs; they are great company and a lot of fun to own; congratulations! I don't agree with those who say that you have to give the dog a good whack from time to time to show it who's boss. You can show it who's boss by just being firm with the dog when it wants to have its own way.  Dogs are like people they respond well to love and kindness.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Prayerful

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

drummerboy

Quote from: james03 on April 16, 2021, 10:19:52 AM
German Shepherds are strong pack animals.  If you aren't the leader he/she will become the leader.  Make sure your husband gives it a whack from time to time to show it who is boss.  Otherwise you'll be giving it away in a year.

But once you do that, German Shepherds are fantastic dogs.  Kids can bite its ear and ride around on it and it will think it's great.  But if it senses danger, it will protect everyone.  Great dogs if you raise them right. 

I would put a paper bag on my head just to have our shepherd come running to "save me" by pulling it off. 

Get a big dog rope with the two knotted ends, its fun to whop the dog with it and get them worked up, just to let them have the rope and "kill it."  Same goes for the stuffed ducks with squeaky balls in the middle; shepherds do get mad or upset, and they will need something to work their anger out, its a very human characteristic of the breed.
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 16, 2021, 04:19:34 PM
I have always lived with dogs; they are great company and a lot of fun to own; congratulations! I don't agree with those who say that you have to give the dog a good whack from time to time to show it who's boss. You can show it who's boss by just being firm with the dog when it wants to have its own way.  Dogs are like people they respond well to love and kindness.

Our hound mix is so sensitive that all my aunt has to do is change the tone of her voice, and Charlotte cringes. My aunt yelled at her for eating the cat's food, and now Charlotte won't even go into the room where it is.
My Lord and my God.